Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
47 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 65
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Boeing Trim Wheel removal

Started by AAnnillo, March 17, 2021, 01:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAnnillo

I've acquired a B727 throttle quadrant this past weekend and its a beauty.

I have been attempting to remove the two (2) trim wheels to get inside this beast and have been unsuccessful.

I've seen a posting on a website where a specialized tool is used to accomplish this but truly believe there has got to be another way, without having to 1)  Locate this specialized tool and 2)  Selling body parts on Ebay to subsidize the purchase of this tool.

Any recommendations on how to remove them?

Thanks muchly.

Antny

FredK

I believe the 727 TQ is the same as the 737...

For my 737 TQ I simply fashioned a simple home-made tool out of a piece of aluminum metal.  Easy enough to do. Insert the end into the slots of the trim wheel retainer hub and turn counter clockwise with grip plyers.

IMG_1124.JPG
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

AAnnillo

Fred;

Thank you for the reply.

Great minds think alike...I had that same idea, as well.  With my TQ, the problem appears to be rust-related; the internal shaft attaching both trim wheels is rotating with the wheels which indicates binding or rust holding the retaining nuts to the long internal screw shaft.

I suspect a trip to the local DIY store is on the menu to obtain some penetrating oil and let that seep-in before trying again.  I do not want to crack the wheels, retaining nuts or long shaft by forcing the rotation to loosen.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Antny

AAnnillo

I managed to get the Captain's trim wheel removed, along with the connecting rod....cannot get the First Officer's trim wheel to come off its hub.

The mystery continues!

AAnnillo

Mystery solved!

A well-placed hammer works wonders!

Both trim wheels are off and both panels are off.

Now comes the task of cleaning the innards and experimenting with interfacing.

Onward and upward.

Antny

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate