Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
128 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Opencockpits MCP V3 displays bad behaviour

Started by mariodantas, February 03, 2017, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariodantas

Hi fellows, I continue winning issues with my cockpit and loosing patience as every day I have a new one.

Now my MCP V3 looses central dash from 3 displays groups from left to right, CRS1, SPD, HDG, I mean when I put 888 I see 000, the other displays are working good, I tried everithing, disconnecting, changing port even trying with another PC, I assume that the problerm is the hardware itself, it comes suddenly while testing my settings, I must say that the MCP uses the provided power source from opencockpits.

This week I loose and USB Audio panel and now the MCP from opencockpits, I think is time to buy more professional products or leave the hobby.

Anyone with some clue for me ?, maybe a resistance ? a shared resistance for 10 displays (3+4+3) ? does anyone have a knowledge in opencockpits electronics ?, I'm getting tired of this and start to hate the hobby intead of enjoying it.

Cheers.

mariodantas

Ok I've tested again and 12 of 23 displays are not working good, from left to right

iwik

Mario,
Are you confirming that these displays are faulty by testing in SIOC monitor section?
If so then it looks like hardware problem. Maybe connector inside
has become partially disconnected. I have built my own modules
for a GA pit and have had weird happenings when connectors for some have become partially disconnected.
Have you tested that the power supply is supplying the 6v when
fully loaded ie all displays turned on?.
Other than that an email to sales maybe you best bet. If this is a new unit i would definitely open it up but this may void the warranty so beware.
Good Luck
Les

mariodantas

Quote from: iwik on February 04, 2017, 09:09:42 AM
Mario,
Are you confirming that these displays are faulty by testing in SIOC monitor section?
If so then it looks like hardware problem. Maybe connector inside
has become partially disconnected. I have built my own modules
for a GA pit and have had weird happenings when connectors for some have become partially disconnected.
Have you tested that the power supply is supplying the 6v when
fully loaded ie all displays turned on?.
Other than that an email to sales maybe you best bet. If this is a new unit i would definitely open it up but this may void the warranty so beware.
Good Luck
Les

Hi iwik

Yes I confirm that the displays doens't work correctly even when tested with sioc monitor (clicking the "ALL ON" button or sending digits individually to display positions)

The poser supply is working flawlessly.

But if i follow your logigs, is possible that an inside connector can be partially connected (specially IDC ones), I'll check it tonight, if not, I'll look for a CPFlight one, they semms to be sturdy

mariodantas

Iwik, you're my hero, one of the IDC connectors inside the module was the cause, I explain, I unplug/replug each one of them and the displays come back again, dust ?, I dont know but while open I cleaned up the whole unit and all connectors also.

Thanks for the big clue fellow, maybe pin this topic to a kind of failures section in the form ?, let the moderators decide

Trevor Hale

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

iwik

Mario,
The big problem with idc connectors is how they are assembled.Some
times there is not enough pressure applied to pierce the insulation.
So i have at times had to remove the clamp and put the connector
in a vice and apply a little pressure and that has also fixed it.
When i was working(retired now) i had a job of final product testing and many times i would find i had a to remove and reinsert idc plugs
to rectify problems. Always on new products.
So i am always wary of idc cables and specially company's that dont do high volume work.
Glad to hear you'r good to go.
Les

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate