Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
579 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 831
  • Online ever: 831
  • (Today at 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 579
Total: 579

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-800 Runway ref pic

Started by MLeavy737, July 18, 2010, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hello all,
  As promised. Here is a pic i took yesterday. Position and hold KEWR Runway 22R at Whiskey. Its in a 737-800 exactly where my eyeballs look out. Just being able to see some white paint on the nose cone is where i sit for takeoff and landing.

Ill email it to however wants the original.
P.S. you can still see the Delta 737 that departed ahead of us in the left turn to 190 as per the SID that we were waiting for. :)

Hope it helps!
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

bussgarfield

Great pic Mike.

That is very useful for setting the up of our seat positions.
I have copied and pasted the photo into a folder for future reference - when I get to the glareshield and seats made.

Thanks again

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

727737Nut

737 Junkie

jackpilot

Nice pic...Thanks for taking time to post

Jack

Kennair

Thanks Mike, that's a great reference.  I must say it is lower than I expected.  I know in FS when lined up it always appears to me that the eye point in the heavies is too low but looking at this pic perhaps not.  I can only reference by my own experience in a 172 which is of little use for a 737 and more particularly for the 777, but it is lower than expected.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Benja

Quote from: MLeavy737 on July 18, 2010, 09:35:45 AM
Hello all,
  As promised. Here is a pic i took yesterday. Position and hold KEWR Runway 22R at Whiskey. Its in a 737-800 exactly where my eyeballs look out. Just being able to see some white paint on the nose cone is where i sit for takeoff and landing.

Ill email it to however wants the original.
P.S. you can still see the Delta 737 that departed ahead of us in the left turn to 190 as per the SID that we were waiting for. :)

Hope it helps!

Mike,

Excellent. Thanks so much for that. It will really help me to get my eyepoint correct. Although, looking at your pic, it looks like i am nearly on the correct level anyway. I never realised that it would appear that you are sitting so low in a 737.

Thanks again.

Regards
Ben
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

jackpilot

The "being low" illusion is due to the width of the runway and the absence of close visual reference .

Something like that.... ;D

Jack

MLeavy737

Yeah i think its just an illusion of being low like Jack said. Just look at the other pic i posted where were pushing back from the gate and you can see people, baggage carts and vans. Also like jack said, if i took that picture on a 75' wide runway it would look like the airplane sits way higher.

Im thinking the best way to adjust the height is to adjust it relative to something known in FS like some ground vehicles, gates, baggage carts etc. Not really sure.

I would also be open to an invite from anyone to check out their sim and adjust it myself :)

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

jackpilot

As long as you know the exact length of your 737, have a top view of it, extrapolate what 37 feet is on your screen, place the airplane so that the nose  end is 37 feet from a ground line such as a runway threshold.

Get back inside , you should be able to see that line at the bottom of your front window. if not tilt down or up. (DO NOT change your zoom factor)

That may be one way to do it.

I was asked questions so here it is in other terms:
Check in the specs of the aircraft in FS the lengh of it
Say 174 ft for a 73-800
Start with a top view of the airplane on the screen.
Measure its lengh with a tape. lets say 54 cm

54X37/174=11,4cm (equivalent of 37 ft)

Length of AC in cm   times 37   divided by real lengh in feet

The zoom factor of the front view has to remain to whatever you have chosen.
Now slew to place the nose of the AC 11,4 cm from a yellow line (which is equivalent to 37ft based on the AC scale)
Go back to inside view and check that the line is visible at the very bottom of the front window when you sit a your wheel. Do not lean forward,

Jack

Kennair

I found this tip from Nic D in a previous post to be the most helpful on cockpit view tuning:

Quote from: nicd on May 25, 2010, 07:10:57 PM
A tip for getting your eye position correct long-ways (i.e. forward and back from the pilots seats) and vertically (i.e. up/down from the ground).  Turn on your AI traffic, then spot an AI aircraft which is parked at the gate that's the same make/type as your sim. Turn off crash detection. Taxi or slew up right next to it's fuselage in spot view so that the 2 aircraft noses are lined up, and/or so that the back pillar of the side windows is lined up. Now go back to you normal cockpit view in the sim and see how far it is out.. i.e. are the AI window pillars too far back/forward, or high low from your sim. Now adjust the eyepoint values in your FS .cfg file until the windows in the AI aircraft look to be exactly level with your sims windows (in cockpit view). Presto! :)

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Trevor Hale

Great post Ken,  I too thought that the aircraft didn't look that high off the ground.  This will need to be played with a bit.  Great information guys, and

MIKE..  Thanks for posting the reference pictures.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate