Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 02:08:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
541 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 831
  • Online ever: 831
  • (Today at 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 541
Total: 541

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

MIP choices - Poldragonet, FDS or Engravity

Started by Benja, July 29, 2010, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benja

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out which MIP to buy and would like to know your experiences and opinions on the following suppliers:

Poldragonet - MIP Kit including all switches etc - 500 Euro - http://www.symul.tatuin.com.pl/strona/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=49&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Engravity - MIP, but need to buy switches seperately - http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/ac_type.php?id=8

FDS - MIP, but also need to buy all switches seperately - http://www.flyengravity.com/page/shop/5

Obviously the first option is the cheapest and Ian has told me that their quality is good, but there is no support
Engravity looks better quality, but the price seems to be a little steep
FDS would be the choice of any builder that has unlimited funds, as their gear is amazing

Anyway, any feedback you all can give me to make the choice easier would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards
Ben
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

Bob Reed

If Ian says they are good I would have to consider them.. Support... I am sure all of us could help.

NAX228

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum.

Is this the only vendors you will choose agmong?
What about:
http://www.cockpitsonic.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=3&Itemid=27

http://www.simworld.pl/shop/

I can only talk for the cockpitsonic MIP, but you might have outruled thatone?
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

jackpilot

I may be wrong but Simworld and Poldrag. are the same

One word of caution (through hard learned lessons)
The panels look is one thing, their functionality is another when time comes to interface and submit to hard use.
Also Check the quality of lettering
Do not compare prices if one is  backlightable and the other  backlighted. When backlighted check evenly lighting.
Hardware: very important. do not select on price. A cheap toggle will fail after a while and the risk of shorting is real. Same for flimsy rotaries or encoders. No free luch here. The 737 uses many many different sorts of toggles , 2 positions 3 positions momentaries, locking, etc etc. Nothing is worse than having to redo interfacing because cheap components are failing.
Last thing, as much as possible, buy everything from one vendor, mixing different designs is bound for problems ..and extra costs!

Jack

NAX228

Quote from: jackpilot on July 29, 2010, 10:02:59 AM
I may be wrong but Simworld and Poldrag. are the same

They are both from poland, but not the same by far.
I have only good words about their products and service.
-------------------

jackpilot

Jack

NAX228

About mixing different vendors, I see that it complicates things. I'm learning that the hard way.
On the other side, I think it add a little charm when not every panel is 100% same color and looks used... just the way you find panels and interior in the real aircrafts.
-------------------

Sean

The problem with your question is that few people have had the latest versions of panels from each manufacturer in their hands at the same time to compare!

I've gone with Engravity, and they are excellent, but I've nothing to compare them to. Bear in mind that Engravity do three different versions of panels to suit the pocket. The desktop line, performance line and pro line. I think they all use the same top panel though, the one you actually see and feel. I've got the desktop series, they are fantastic. Backlighting is extra though. It may be cheaper in the long run to start out with the most expensive option from the start. It depends on your goals really.

As far as electronics are concerned, you could definatley source the togggle and rotary switches cheaper than buying from Engravity, but you still need the knobs and annunciators, and you're better off getting these from Engravity, so might as well get the full electronics kit from them.

jackpilot

Quote from: sean nixon on July 29, 2010, 02:17:30 PM

I've gone with Engravity, and they are excellent, but I've nothing to compare them to.

It may be cheaper in the long run to start out with the most expensive option from the start.

So true....

Jack

XOrionFE

I cannot comment on any of the others mentioned except for FDS.  If you want to have beautiful backlighting without hassles that matches the EXACT look of the real deal then spend the money on FDS.  Their work is incredible, they have a great team, and they have thought through all of the details for a complete end to end solution.  Worth every last penny even if you have to go a little slower with your plans while saving for the next piece.  Their product is also built to last. 

If you live in North America then don't forget to account for exchange rates and shipping also.  This may really tip the scales on your ultimate decision.

Scott

Benja

Thanks for all the replies.

So, anyone have experience with the simworld panels?
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

saabpilot

Hi Ben,

A little off-topic, but I just received a Poldragonet Overhead.
A very nice experience - panels fully assembled and all switches, annunciators and dummy gauges included.
They also are very nice guys and tries hard to provide good service. Their shipping within EU is unexpensive.
Feel free to contact me, our sims are in Stockholm.  website: www.boeing737sim.se

My 10 cents:
It does not matter what panels you use as long as long as the result pleases your eyes as well as your wallet  :D
But for interface boards you really need to choose a good solution.
FDS new SYS1x board seems to be the right one at the moment and we have now two of them, yet uninstalled.

If you use CP Flight MCP - their B737 MIP board is another option, but only for the MIP itself.
Only drawback is that you then are locked to CP Flight MCP:s.
CP Flight boards/MCP:s/EFIS controllers are beauties and have been out for quiet a while, so can be found second hand too.

Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

Joe Lavery

Hi Ben,

I have the Engravity panels which are very good but you have to arrrange your own backlighting. I also made my own annunciator holders to save some cash  ::)

I can confirm the quality and ease of use of the FDS interface cards, they take all the hard work out of setting up the overhead. You simply identify the switch or LED and then download an appropriate XML file from the FDS website to suit it's location in the overhead. I interfaced the whole overhead panel in one afternoon. Of course you have to wire everything up first and that's what takes the time.  :)

Hope that helps,

Regards

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

NAX228

I have the overhead from Simworld. Quality and attention to details are very good. The material also feels kinda "heavy", so I'm very pleased.
Volante (member here) has recently bought the aft OH from them as well.

Have not had the MIP in hands, but if it's the same quality as the OH then it should be very good.
They will have a stand at fsweekend i'm told.
The panels are backlight ready.
-------------------

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate