Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
474 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 488
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 474
Total: 475

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Small Flat LED's

Started by MLeavy737, August 09, 2010, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hello,
  Does anyone have a source for LED's like the ones used in say FDS IBL panels? Im guessing they are small circuit board mountable type LED's. All the overhead panels i have are not back lit and i figured i would just add the lighting slowly over time.  Dont want to use large bulbs and such. Really just looking for the LED's that can fit between the panel and the backers.

Thanks,
Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

jackpilot

As far as I know FDS IBLs use aerospace 5v  bulbs .
If you want to use Leds consult Phil (UK)

For previous gen panels backlighting the solution used by Alain Tremblay gives very nice results

www.sim-737ng.com

Jack

MLeavy737

ahh ok, Thanks Jack.. Ill ask

Mike Leavy

Kennair

Ebay is your best source for cheap LED's Mike.  I just bought a heap plus a role of 5m LED strip.  Wow the light output from this stuff is amazing and you can cut it every 3rd LED for shorter runs.  Have a look HERE for some inspiration to use it as overhead backlighting (go to number 8 "Electricity & Lighting").  I used Claude's color change principle using lighting gel materiel (also purchased on ebay) to give my EFIS and MCP an orange tinge.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Joe Lavery

Mike, FDS use surface mount LEDs for their IBL backlighting, they are practically embedded in the panel. I have their new B737NG-ELEC-CAB-SYS panel which uses this design and creates a pale orange even illumination.

I believe the panel itself is responsible for the quality of the illumination, it's a special acrylic that contains particles that very effectively diffuse the light without leaving the familiar hotspots.
I have tried to get hold of this product but without much success, however I'm told it will soon become more widely available. It is the ideal product for backlighting. 

Regards

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jackpilot

????
Hi Joe.
Just asked Steve and he confirmed bulbs.
I have some IBLs (MCP EFIS) and there is no polarity on the backlighting which means bulbs...
Are you sure about the Elec panel?

Anyway, even "real " backlighters start going to Leds...
Cheers
JP

Jack

Joe Lavery

Hi Jack yes, the panel is completely flat with a metal backplate, no room for bulbs. I could be wrong on the acrylic but that information came from an industry source. I assumed FDS were using it because of the even illumination. I also have Engrvity panels and they use surface mounted LEDs for thier backlighting in exactly the manner I mentioned.
The IBL plug on the ELEC panel is a one way fit, on yellow and black cables: so once again I assume it is polarity sensitive.
BUT...  ::) if FDS say I'm wrong who am I to argue :huh:

Cheers
Joe.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

MLeavy737

Ahh cool guys.. That was the term i was looking for. Surface mount LED's.  Google brings up a search of all kinds! Perfect.

Not exactly up to that point yet, nor is it necessary right now but its good to have a head start and try some out.

Ill let ya know how they work out when i get some and get em in the panel!

Mike Leavy

Joe Lavery

One thing to be aware of Mike, surface mounted components are very small and require some skill with soldering small parts. You'll also need a fine tip temperature controlled soldering iron and of course a circuit board to solder them to.
Of course you may know all this already,   ;) if so forget everything I've said.  ;D

Regards
Joe.

MLeavy737

Thanks Joe! lol.. I guess that means ill have to order a few dozen extra just incase :) I also got alot of soldering practice building some IO cards from opencockpits which i dont use.  Ill give it a shot. Better than buying all new panels again!

Mike Leavy

Joe Lavery

Mike, if you send me your email, I'll send you a pdf article which explains how to solder these little suckers.

My mail is.
joe.lavery@pcpilot.net

Regards
Joe.

MLeavy737

Thanks Joe! That would be great! i'll take all the help i can get with electronics :)

email is  MLeavy737@aol.com

Mike Leavy

phil744

So many LED's avaliable, the ones i use and most common are whats known as 1206, 0805, 0603, 0402, thats the package size 1206 being the biggest 0402 being the smallest, normally i use 0805 style, with 0805 size resistors, small enough to fit into most places but big enough to see.

The 0402 are a pain and can only be done either gluing the die then inverted wave solder or by solder paste via a stencil, i use those on displays and stuff.

some help maybe http://led.linear1.org/surface-mount-leds/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

XOrionFE

FDS uses very small 5v bulbs.  Not LEDs.

Much like the real panels.  Yes, there is enough room to fit them.

This is a good picture of a real 737 fwd overhead center panel which basically shows you how it is backlit.   We were actually doing this for the learjet builds and I have copper clad and grain of wheat bulbs that allow doing this.   Best thing is to hollow out opaque or white plastic (that will be engraved and needs to be 1/4 " thickness.  This hollowing of the back then will allow a clear piece of plastic to be fitted that is a little less than a 1/4 "and has strategically placed holes in it to accept the final layer which is a copper clad backer or printed circuited board with the gow bulbs mounted on it.     Vince Cimmino did this for his lear and is just like the real deal.

Here are a few pics of an actual panel

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate