Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
118 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Looking for "shell" case for stby airspeed/alt indicator

Started by kattz, April 05, 2020, 07:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

Hello all,

I recently purchased the coveted (by me) standby combined airspeed/altimeter from someone on eBay.  It was fine when it shipped, but when it arrived it had a perfect 10mm bullet hole right through the front glass.  The glass on the sealed inner portion is OK. 

Because the glass is glued into the outer insrument sheet metal shell, I need a shell with the glass intact.  If anyone has one, please let me know.

Regards,

Kev

jackpilot

Jack

kattz

Hi, Mick,

This is just the outer shell that slides over the stby alt/aspd gage.  The inner glass was ok.  Happened in shipping. :o

Thanks.

Kev

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

kattz

Hi, John,

It's a standby instrument, and the glass is approx 75mm.  I have an altimeter here but the glass is too big and also glued in...

If one of those has a 75mm glass, I could use it, maybe.

Thanks.

Kevin

mickc

Quote from: kattz on April 05, 2020, 10:29:53 AMHi, Mick,

This is just the outer shell that slides over the stby alt/aspd gage.  The inner glass was ok.  Happened in shipping. :o

Good luck mate.  They are hard enough to find complete, let alone in parts.
I would suggest you heat it in an oven and soften the adhesive, and remove the broken glass.  Then get a new piece cut.

If it was broken in transit, you should be able to lodge a claim with Ebay and get your money back.

I had the same thing happen with an RMI, and got all the money back including shipping.  Also got to keep the RMI ;)

kattz

Can I heat it in an oven?  And to what temperature?

I didn't pay that much for the instrument.  Thinking of dropping all of it and just getting the stby ISFD from FDS. Your thoughts?

Kev

blueskydriver

Kevin,

75mm is for what measurement? The frame side to side or the glass underneath? I will measure mine tonight...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

kattz

Hi, John,

That appears to be the diameter of the glass itself.  However, the glass is bonded to the aluminum and will not come out, even with a Dremel and a sanding wheel. The glass is not underneath... it's bonded to the face.  See the picture.  Crazy...

Kevin

Joe Lavery

If you know someone with a CNC machine, it would be quite easy to machine the residue out to fit a new glass.
I guess with most companies on lockdown, a fellow builder would be worth asking. There are plenty of folk on here with the expertise and in some cases the machine.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

kattz

I've got access to an entire machine shop.  But right now the State of Ohio is pretty much closed for business.

I made a new contact with a mechanic in England who thinks he has the entire unit, plus the ADI and RMI in his shop.  May just replace it, because I have some Airbus items he wants.

Thanks Joe.

Kevin

blueskydriver

Hey Kevin,

Here are the four I have...$100 US plus shipping for all of them.

John

blueskydriver

Hey Kevin,

Where are you located? PM me your address, so I can get a shipping estimate just in case these will work for you.

John

kattz

John was a big help!  One gage worked - not precisely, but afte 4 hours with a dremel and some time on the mill tomorrow, she'll look good as new.

Thanks, John!

Kev

blueskydriver

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate