Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
128 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Single video projector vs dual pilot seat cockpit (view issue)

Started by nunodaniel76, January 05, 2020, 02:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nunodaniel76

Hi Simmers,

I use a single video projector on my simulator for the front view. All is ok if you have also a single pilot seat so you can put it right in the center of the screen. The problem is, I have a dual seat cockpit, so my view relative to the projection is always either on the left or right. That causes a view distortion like it seems you are always flying sideways...I don't have the space for 3 projectors, so I was wondering if there is a solution for this? Thank you
Nuno Nunes

FredK

Hi Nuno

Welcome to the Group!

The short answer is that there is no fix for this issue, even with a three projector setup. 

Commercial simulators utilize a "collimated" projection system that minimizes this effect.  However the cost is several tens of thousands of dollars so far out of reach for most hobbyists.

There has been much written about this in this forum regarding experimentation with tweaking eyepoint and zoom factors in the view settings.  So do some search regarding how different people have dealt with it.  Again, there is no perfect solution.

Most full cockpit builders have their projectors concentric with the cockpit. There is that "crabbing" effect noticeable from each seat, but only half as bad if it was centered to the left or right seat.

I have a full cockpit and three projectors in my setup. I have elected to have my projectors setup so they are concentric with the pilot's eyepoint (actually about 6 inches to the right of). In this way there is no crabbing distortion from the pilot's perspective at all.  However the copilot's perspective is exacerbated as the downside. My logic is that I mostly fly alone and when I do have a guest that guest is most often in the pilot's seat as the "pilot flying".  The copilot as the "pilot managing" should not be as concerned looking out the window anyhow....he should be busy with the radios and navigating etc.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

Agreed, no real solution.
I use a single screen also with an Optoma super short throw. (image is 14 feet across)
The crab effect is not really noticable maybe because the screen is more than 6 feet away from my eyes, which allows a fairly good depth perception.

Jack

nunodaniel76

Thank you so much for your inputs!
You cannot view this attachment.
I guess I'll rebuilt the sim, put the seat closer to one another to center the view as much as possible, for the Cpt and F/O.
I thought I had to spent a lot of money to solve this issue, but now I know that it's a common problem for simmers and for that, I thank you both :D

Nuno Nunes

jackpilot

Jack

757Simulator

"Commercial simulators utilize a "collimated" projection system that minimizes this effect.  However the cost is several tens of thousands of dollars so far out of reach for most hobbyists."

Try 2.1 million and no they do not have this effect whatsoever. Only us builders do.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate