Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:48:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
158 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Smart Sim Tech

Started by Bob Reed, September 06, 2010, 01:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

So where did this come from? For some time now in the background we have been working on a new interface. It will do input and output on separate boards. Alpha work is done on the input boards and we have a functioning interface with software. It is now time to look for some input from real world users. We are working on keeping cost down on this interface. If you are interested in being a Beta tester please send a PM to Tyler Reed or myself (no relation LOL ) We are getting ready to place an order for some beta input boards now.

ak49er

Bob, I am having a difficult time deciphering what his product does, I/O ?
FS9, FSUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD
XPlane XUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD

Bob Reed

Yes this interface does IO.

jackpilot

Hi Bob
What are the specs, number of IO, switches, rotaries, encoders? any innovations?
;)

Jack

Bob Reed

I will let the brains of this project fill in all the details... There Are going to be a couple of surprises!

Tyler Reed

Well, like Bob said we have been working on this for some time now.

Currently we have the 30 input card ready to get manufactured.  The specs on the 30 Input board is it is USB powered, and has 30 inputs that are common ground.  The board has the choice of using either the screw down terminals or using ribbon cable.  There is 2 16 pin ribbon cable headers (pin 1 - red wire is common ground).

The next board we plan to work on would be a LED output card.

Our plans are also to create rotary encoder boards, 7 segment driver boards, a to d boards and other stuff.

The hardest thing was to get going with the first board, which we finally figured out how everything is going to work with the other boards.  As for the innovation, the idea behind our boards has been ease of use, which is one thing that has been the hardest for us to work out.  The idea is you dont need to learn a programming language or know anything special to make the cards work.  Just pick your switch or input, then choose the offset from a list, then pick the value you want to set it to from a list and that is it.  We have included a basic language for those that know the offsets and dont want to use the wizard to pick it, or if the offset isn't in the wizard.  Currently I still have a ton of offsets to put into the wizard, but plan to have the application auto update to get the latest offsets as I add them.

One of our main goals as well is to be as cheap as possible, we have found a really good board provider that is willing to give us a good price for small orders, so in turn we can pass that price on to everyone.

As we have more info we will pass it on to all of you.

hopefully that answers your question jackpilot...

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

autocadplease

Sounds interesting. When you have a moment, can you explain how your 7 segment boards will work. Will it be as simple as buying the board and segments and selecting what to display through the sofware? That would really interest me.
Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

Tyler Reed

Hello autocadplease,
From what I have run through my head so far as for all the output boards (the LED Driver and 7 Segment Board) is this.  In the software you will create a new offset listener, and will be able to choose what to do when the value or bit changes.  For example lets say you will be able to pick a offset such as NAV1 (Offset 0x0350) and map the value to a 7 segment board.

Things are always changing as I come up with better ways to do the same thing, so from now until the time the board for the 7 segment controller is created I dont know how much things will change.  The basic idea i'm sure will stay the same though.  I planned on starting on a 30 LED Output board next week, which will lay a lot of the framework for the 7 segment board.

Also i wanted to mention that I have started to update all the info about the software and will soon start to add info about the boards into the Smart Sim Tech Form located here -> http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?board=52.0

Thanks
- Tyler Reed

autocadplease

Thanks, Tyler.

I would be very interested in something like that.
Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

jackpilot

Thank you Tyler for the info.
Keep us posted.
JP

Jack

fsaviator

I too am very interested!  I'm in the pre IO phase, so I haven't committed to any one IO product yet.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

bussgarfield

Tyler/Bob.
This does all sound very interesting and like Warren I am at a stage where I will be considering buying some input boards very shortly. The idea of no programming language and using a wizard is very appealing.

I like the bit about keeping the costs down too.

Please keep us all updated on the progress of all cards.

Gary

Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

Tyler Reed

Ok, all the specs for the 30 input board along with price is now been updated...

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1038.0

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

fsaviator

Sounds good, looking at the link...

I'll be the guinea pig.  Where can we buy one?

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Tyler Reed

Hey all,

We have the board design all ready and just have to send it off to be made.  We expect it will take probably a month before we have the completed board in hand.  Our plan is to set up a website with a shopping cart to handle the sale of the card.

Because of the wait, Bob and I talked today and we have come up with a good product pre-launch idea.  We are still working out all the details but we are going to hold a raffle to give away 5 of the input boards for free.  Hopefully we will have the details up here soon, but the general idea is there will be a set number of days for people to sign up, and after that 5 names will be chosen at random.

Well, Bob is helping me get all the details together for that, so we will let you know all the details as we have them.

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

Tyler Reed

For those following this, I have posted some screen shots of the beta release of the software.  Not much left to do before the beta is ready to be downloaded.

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1031.0

Anyway, got all the final stuff put together and should have the boards in hand hopefully in less than 2 months.  Once we have them in hand, we will have them ready to be sent out.

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

autocadplease

Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

MLeavy737

Awesome stuff guys!!

I just send Bob a PM before i saw this, should have asked here first..

Just wondering if these cards will have some type of programming API with c++, or just a few function calls that we could use? Im assuming that if your progrsmming them with windows there must be something :) unless you dont want to take it in that direction, i would understand. just curious before i buy more phidget cards.

Thanks,
  Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Tyler Reed

Hello MLeavy737

Sorry for taking so long on the reply, It has been a busy week for me.

To answer your question the application allows you to use plain old Visual Basic .NET to program your own commands or logic.  I decided to use VB.NET instead of C# or C++ for expansion for ease of use.  Even though it isnt required to program in the VB to make the card work, I thought that there would be people out there that would want to expand the cards to do more advanced stuff.

For the most part you would be able to use any Visual Basic command that you wanted too, such as if, then, else, case, for, while, etc...  There are also some extensive built in commands to talk with FSUIPC such as something to send a value to the offset, or to flip a bit in a byte and send it to a offset.  There are also commands to set outputs on other cards and read the inputs of other cards as well.

I have not given much thought to a API, but it wouldn't be too hard for me to release an API that you could use in your own VB, C# or C++ .NET application instead of my own.  That would be something that I would create after I get my software out of beta.

As for other news, I should have the cards soon, I am working with a overseas company because they make the circuit boards much cheaper than anyone else I could find, which just means that the savings get passed on to everyone, however because of my small order and my unwillingness to pay for expedited shipping and processing I am just waiting for them to come in.  While waiting for the input boards to come in we have started to work on some output cards and some input and output cards that are combined on one board.

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

Tyler Reed

Also MLeavy737
http://www.randrdevelopment.com/sst/Beta1-InputScripts2.png
this is a screen shot of the code window which allows for expansion.

Thanks,
Tyler
- Tyler Reed

MLeavy737

Tyler,
  Thanks for the info! I know its a bit early in the game to be asking what laungaue they will support but it sounds like your on your way to making a nice product. Look forward to trying it out.

Funny however the only programming language i know is c++ :) Ill let you get up and running before i bug ya again! lol.. Although the VB side of that looks pretty nice and easy.

Thanks,
Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Tyler Reed

Just wanted to update everyone

I have uploaded some of the boards to http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?board=52.0

Bob and I have been working on getting all the boards ready so hopefully more info to come.

Thanks
- Tyler Reed

fsaviator

Great stuff guys!

Looking forward to getting home and these boards a try!

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"

Tyler Reed

- Tyler Reed

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate