Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:33:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
288 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 286
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 288
Total: 288

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Lear 45 build

Started by shaneb, October 18, 2009, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

I've not accomplished a lot lately. . but here are a few photos of the TQ pedestal and parking brake handle. I have added the throttle quadrant plate . . took a while but I found one out of a Lear 45.  I have also added the parking brake handle and assembly that I built.  It will interface with FSX and function as an emergency brake and parking brake.

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Shane, that is looking awesome!!!

I love seeing how you guys are making these original Lears come to life.   Cant believe you found an actual TQ plate.  That is gold!!

Anyway, your attention to detail is incredible.   I some some pics of Vince's today also and I have to say, you all are well on your way.   I think you will be flying  by summer!!

Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

Best Regards,
Scott

shaneb

Been a while since I updated my build . . so I thought I would share a few photos with you.  I was able to find a Lear 45 that was being parted out last fall and purchase some interior parts.  The Lear had crashed at Telluride Colorado in Jan 2009.  I was able to get the following parts:  Glareshield, cockpit interior panels, circuit breaker panels, map lights, and several lightplates.  The radio management units were made by  Vince Cimmino in Italy, a fellow Lear builder.

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

jackpilot

Really cool.
I really admire you guys with "unsupported " aircrafts, when I see the time and dedication it takes for a "supported" one!
Great work Shane.

Jack

XOrionFE

Wow Shane!

That is looking fantastic.    I had to do a doubletake.  At first I thought I was looking at the pictures I took of the real bird last fall.   What a find getting those panels!     

Scott

Trevor Hale

Indeed, a good mixture of real and homebuilt.  I just like to see things like that.

The Glare Shield is a nice touch.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

DarrylH

Shane,

Once again, outstanding stuff. With all the real parts and your talent for scratch building others, this is going to be one beautiful bird!

Darryl

ivar hestnes

Really nice work there Shane. High quality for sure.
I like the mix of real/replica and homebuilt stuff. Just as a sim should be :)

XOrionFE

Just thought I would share some real photos I took of a Lear 45 out of my local airport.     This shows how close to reality Shane is getting.    It is really amazing.   If we ever have a builder of the month on this site then I would love to see Shane's build showcased.   Really just awe inspiring work considering where we all were on the Lear about a year ago and considering that there is nothing commercially available for this bird.    Take a look for your self at Shanes pics above versus these.   Amazing....

Scott

shaneb

Hey guys,

Let me tell you the rest of the story about the photos Scott took of the real Lear 45 . . once again Scott played a role in my build.  I used the photos he had provided as reference photos so the aircraft salvager would know what parts I needed.  This made the process much easier . . . thanks again Scott!    :idiot:

shaneb

Couple of updates to my build . . .

I have now installed the overhead assist handle . .

and I have assembled a set of rudder pedal covers that were supplied by Tom at CombatConsole . .

shaneb

Added a small detail part for the interior of the Lear 45 . . I was able to get the document holder that is mounted behind the pilot's seat that houses the airworthiness certificate.  It looked kinda silly hanging there empty so I printed an "airworthiness certificate" appropiate for the Lear 45 based on information I was able to obtain fromt the Internet.

Boeing Skunk Works

I tried to find a blank form for my 727, Couldn't locate one anywhere. Do you have a hi-res copy you could post a photo of?

I really wanted one from Germany, but I couldn't find that either.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

shaneb

Hey Mike,

I will try to find one . . seems while searching for some info I saw one that might work for you . . I'll take a look.      I just sent you a PM with some info.

shaneb

I finished another small panel for the Lear this evening . . the ELT panel that is located on the center pedestal.   I made the stickers for the panel, a fellow Lear builder (Mark L.) cut out the small front panel for me. I then lettered the panel with dry transfer since this panel is not backlit.

jackpilot

Quote from: shaneb on May 06, 2010, 09:21:55 AM
I printed an "airworthiness certificate" appropiate for the Lear 45 based on information I was able to obtain fromt the Internet.

Well, while you are at it, please print some  first class boarding pass for me and  a few cheerleaders for  the maiden flight......well done  Shane!!

Jack

shaneb

Jack,

Boarding passes and cheerleaders coming up!      :idiot:

shaneb

Hey Mike,

Can you PM me and give me an email address where I can send you the certificate . . I have it ready to attach as a file.   I've also saved it in case you want some changes to it.

Boeing Skunk Works

Sure. I'll send it to you now. Thanks again.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

shaneb

I've started working on wiring up the overhead lights in the Lear.  I am using a 12v AC/DC converter for power,  a 12v PWM dimmer switch and switched the bulb from a 28v to a 12v (thanks for the suggestion Jack)

Here is a photo of the switch and converter along with temporary wiring until I am ready for final installation

and with overhead light temporarily wired and working . . .

Trevor Hale

Looks great Shane.. I am sure you are quite happy.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

MLeavy737

Looks awesome!! brings back good memories of my Lear 31/35/55 days! Never flew the 45 but i hear they are all about the same with different avionics.

Nice work!

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

ETomlin

Quote from: MLeavy737 on May 12, 2010, 06:42:34 AM
Looks awesome!! brings back good memories of my Lear 31/35/55 days! Never flew the 45 but i hear they are all about the same with different avionics.

Nice work!

Mike Leavy

The big difference too Mike is the 45/40's have a good bit bigger flight decks. I have sat in the real 45 as well as my own sim  (and infact the shell from Ron Rollo that most of us use is essentially sitting in a 1:1 scale flight deck) and compared to the 35, it's quite a bit more comfortable after Ron and I had the chance to see one up close and personal at the NAS Jax airshow 2 years ago. That, and the avionics as you mentioned.

I'd like to say too that Shane's project has essentially become the flagship project for our Learjet builder's group. He and Ron Rollo are doing great things with the shell side as me and Jason take on the avionic/procedural chores :-)
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

shaneb

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments . . I am excited to start on some of the wiring for the lighting.  I was concerned whether I would be able to use the real parts, but so far no issues with switching the lighting from 28v over to 12v.   Finally starting to see the Lear come to life.

MLeavy737

Quote from: ETomlin on May 12, 2010, 06:52:44 AM
Quote from: MLeavy737 on May 12, 2010, 06:42:34 AM

Nice work!

Mike Leavy

The big difference too Mike is the 45/40's have a good bit bigger flight decks. I have sat in the real 45 as well as my own sim  (and infact the shell from Ron Rollo that most of us use is essentially sitting in a 1:1 scale flight deck) and compared to the 35, it's quite a bit more comfortable after Ron and I had the chance to see one up close and personal at the NAS Jax airshow 2 years ago. That, and the avionics as you mentioned.

I'd like to say too that Shane's project has essentially become the flagship project for our Learjet builder's group. He and Ron Rollo are doing great things with the shell side as me and Jason take on the avionic/procedural chores :-)

Thats good to hear they added more room to the flightdeck.. I do remember being pretty cramped in that thing.. Honestly didnt care much back then because that the start of my jet time.  I would have squeezed into anything for turbine time!!

Dont know if its true or not but i also heard the 40 series were a little more maintenance heavy and tended to break down more? who knows, Also something about having half the parts from the 30 series? I may be making things up here but i heard that somewhere..

Anyhow the project looks awesome. One of the nicest things about biz jets is the smaller size i think. If i had to do it again i think i would make something a bit smaller.

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate