Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
61 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 84
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

I HAD an idea for an inexpensive B737 cockpit - Not so inexpensive now!

Started by kattz, March 04, 2019, 06:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

Hi -

So I already have the FDS CDU, MCP, and EFIS panels. One EFIS and ONE CDU only.

What I want is something <similar> to the FDS Jetmax.  But the Jetmax comes up short IMO.

So I also have an Obutto Ozone gaming seat/framework, etc.

I would like to have everything from the first officer's side including the radio/center pedestal which the Jetmax does not have.  I also want the upper fwd and aft panels.

And I would like some sense of realism - so I could buy the center console w/ all gear and the Jetmax items minus the items that I already have, incorporate it into my Obutto unit, and the then the next step would be to get the overhead panels.

Ideas?

Over time, I could afford to drop US$20K - over time, and buying everything used.

The eventual goal would be to end up with the cockpit shell and liner, complete MIP, console, fwd and aft overhead panels, etc, and two seats from the boneyard with their J-rails.

Ideas?

Regards,

Kev

blueskydriver

Hello Kev,

This might not be the idea you want to hear, but don't do what some of us have done over the years, and simply that is don't take the long road.

In other words, save your money until you can buy it all (or almost all of it); especially, if you're thinking about sticking with FDS. Don't buy pieces here and there or use OEM stuff just too get you through the days/months/years until you can buy the same item(s) from FDS.

Unless, you plan to go total OEM in the future, stick with FDS and at the very least get their items in this order: the MIP Package first, then the Yoke and Pedals, then the FWD Overhead, then the Pedestal with all the panels (go with P&P), then go for a Throttle Assembly, then go for real seats, and last go for the AFT Overhead. You can then add the FDS Shell and Circuit Breaker Panels with Back Walls at this point.

If I had it to do over again, I would've gone strictly FDS and not purchased three other OEM/Non OEM cockpits along the way. Nor, use anything OEM unless I was only going for OEM. So, more or less, I spent a lot of money and it was enough to buy two turn-key FDS complete Dual Seat packages. Add in all the time in hours, I've likely could've bought 3 from FDS.

Lastly, like I said, this might not be the answer you're looking for, but I know this will save you a lot of time, effort and heartache. In the mean time, go visit some other builders and see what they have, it'll help you make better decisions.  :idiot:

John

Almost forgot, Scott (XOrionFE) sounds like he is going to sell his FDS items that are still new in the boxes. These are the Pro 2.0 items from FDS; whereas, Scott has already built a complete 1.0 version, but he switched to an OEM B737 Classic build right after buying the 2.0 items. Heck, if I had the funds right now I would buy his FDS stuff in a heartbeat!

You should get in touch with him, he is a super nice guy!
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

added more details to orginal post ...try to buy used    you mentioned 20k as a number if you dont go nuts and as i said buy used you coukd proberly do a fair bit stay with fds their stuff works for yiur application again wait and buy used   no doubt    stay away from oem parts thats a rabbit hole you dont want to enter with your budget..unless it's control.uprights (yokes)  and wheels imho simulated control uprights  suck .  don't let others sway you.. get Webber seats not ipecos  they are more comfortable and cheaper dontbgetvstuck in the details concentrate on up down  left right faster slower   and always keep it flysble everything else is gravy

blueskydriver

I am glad too see Bernard post on this, you should ask him to let you visit his sim. However, you might be overwhelmed because his build is following the track of most accuracy and replication. His systems knowledge is amazing and he is very detailed oriented...you'll gain plenty of insight from him.  :idiot:

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

nice of you to say bud  can i have my 50 bucks now ? but my build has only been achieved with help from a couole of jedi masters .  one can not do everything by ones self... 

757Simulator

Kev,

You do what you think is right for YOU no matter what anyone else says. I always found enjoyment in making my own components and controlling them via EPIC which is still the marquis interface card. There is a reason NASA and the US Military still use this I/O device to this day.

What others have expressed above is very good advice. Cannot dispute that. But there are much cost friendly ways to achieve your ambitions.

I see you are in Ohio. You are most certainly welcome anytime to visit our 757 motion sim which is located just across the Ohio River. Seeing is believing.

I wish you the best.

kattz

Thanks, everyone! 

I got a look at Rob's 737-300 with all steam gauges except for the working WX/TFC radar, which was also original to the aircraft, and EVERYTHING WORKS!!!  Although a true labor of love, I won't head this direction - too much wiring and programming on my part.  But absolutely fabulous nonetheless.  Even with FDS, very little is actually "just plug and play".

I gotta say that having been a "screen-only, PMDG-only, B737NG-only person", I was both utterly intimidated and absolutely lost when I sat in the left seat of the -300.  The steam-gauge cockpit is very different from the NG glass cockpit just in appearances - I felt kinda stupid sitting there.  The ADI's were jewels to watch working, especially when the little yellow "wings" align against the arrowhead to keep you on track. "Fly the director, Kevin... Hey, look at the scenery"  "No, dammit, I can't fly without watching the director!"

I also don't want to ruffle any feathers, but having seen this sim run with the newest X-Plane, it was much more realistic regarding wind shear, crosswinds, and turbulence compared to what I've experienced with FSX and P3D.  Just my opinion, so let's not break out the tar and feathers!

So, I met up with Scott, and I will be buying some hardware from him.  It's going to be a mostly FDS cockpit, with maybe the radios and center console bay being CP Flight.  Shell and liner by FDS, floor by myself.  The yokes and rudder pedals are still a mystery where to buy. 

I plan on picking up the complete MIP and both overheads first.

Also, I had a thought reflecting on some Disney-esque rides - the brain only needs several inches of motion in any direction without any outside stimuli to think that the motion is much larger than it actually is.  Some Duff-Norton 6" jackscrews, a PLC, and 4 linear transducers and you get enough DOF to truly enhance the experience... someday...

Thanks!

Kev

bernard S

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate