Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
133 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Spitfire FR version (WARNING- NOT an airliner *G* )

Started by DarrylH, November 15, 2009, 06:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

Jack,

I thought I was the only one who "browsed the hardware store".  Don't you just love when they ask if they can help you find something . . " oh sure, I'm building an airplane in my basement . . which way to the aircraft parts"      :o

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

DarrylH

Shane, I am lucky on that score...my local harware store INSIST on update photos every time I go in there!!  8)

Bob Reed

Quote from: shaneb on March 22, 2010, 02:50:34 PM
Jack,

I thought I was the only one who "browsed the hardware store".  Don't you just love when they ask if they can help you find something . . " oh sure, I'm building an airplane in my basement . . which way to the aircraft parts"      :o

Well in the last few days I have not had much to laugh about trying to get this business off the ground but... That made me chuckle this morning!

DarrylH

An incredible piece of luck this afternoon....picked up the following for just $30 more than it cost me to make the replica!!!

Last time I had the oportunity to buy one it was A$900 and I saw one really bad condition that sold for $550.

I am still shaking my head in disbelief!!

:shock:

DarrylH

I spent this weekend doing the housing that protects the control wires running from the Undercarriage unit. I am gradually beating aluminium. It took some difficult measuring to get it all fitting fluch after the bending of the sides and edges. Allowing for differences in length that different bends cause is not someting I have much experience with...but I resolved to cut it too long, and test fit/eyeball/trim it until it worked. It came out as well as can be expected , as did the Remote Contactor unit with the modern Collins radio inserted instead of the timer.

Pictures to follow

DarrylH

The single exposure button is working (for taking screen shots) and the red light is functional. I have an idea for the green light but have to check if the "flashing" circuit I have will work. Otherwise I may well arm it with a flashing LED. We'll see.

I am very happy with how close Chris and I came with the mock up. It is very close in dimensions, just a fair bit thinner than the real one and a little smaller. Still, going off scaling from photos I am pleased. The real one will now take up residence, the fake one will be converted to a junction box for the wiring.

I finished the Windscreen De-Icing  and it has now been engraved by Chris, white undercoat, black top coat and then laser off the black.It gives a magic finish as you can see.

Remote Contactor (mounting the Collins Radio instead of the timer) is also finished and this time raised tags engraved by Chris.

On then to the U/C controller unit

The cover that runs between the U/C  unit and the panel frame was a major job. Measuring the angles and the bends to still fit squarely in the gap was a major stretch for me.  I ended up leaving lots of excess and trimming it down to fit in. It  compliments Gwyns U/C perfectly I think (to which i also added the small detail of the cylinder on the rear. Pictures:  (I did however not notice the sawdust until after these shots DOH!!)

I also found that I had given Gwyn the wrong picture of the Tank Pressurecock.  So a little modification, a repaint  and it was ready to go.  Then I fabricated the front and rear plates to hold the legend and the rotary switch for thecock.

Assembled and fitted..(just some painting left to do)

The new version of the IFF Destruction Unit.  NO COMMENT on this, at least none that is printable..but it looks OK now (ended up changing to a bigger "Emergency" warning label as Gwyn has agreed to make me a scale Emergency Undercarriage Lowering bottle , handle and valve, so it will  be nice to draw more attention to it!!.

Another gratuitous compass shot...simply because I LOVE this bit!!!

The current "persons of interest"

a,  a fairly busy section of "Spitfireville", the right hand side almost complete and test fitted before the skinning starts:

The Radiator Shutter Lever in progress. I cut two grooves up either side of a steel tube. Screwed a butterfly nut (wingnut) on the end of a threaded rod (with a locking nut) put a couple more along the length to stop the "play" inside the tube and topped it off with a nylex locking nut "button".
The bottom wooden stopper doubles as a mount for the Dowty switch.

When the button is depressed the against a compression spring it moves the butterfly nut down and this will disengange it from a "gate". The gate will have positions for each of the  of the switch (four ..corresponding to Open, cruise, guns warm and closed, the four normal shutter positions.

The gate and mount  is the next job.
The Morse Key mounting is my first compound curve (I cheated with the cockpit coaming) achieved by bending over and around an old jar lid. A simple looking piece but not easy to make. I think it came out satisfactorily though.

A few of the progress on the left cockpit wall.

The Throttle is painted, the handles painted and clearcoated, the red boost cut out now adjusted to the right colour, the mounting made more secure and I just need to make the "Airscrew Control" legend to go on the black lever closest. I think I will leave the others bare metal for effect.

The great Trim Wheel Gwyn made is, in some respects like the later ones and in others like the earlier version. As the primary focus is now the Spitfire 1A / 2A,  I painted in the centre and it is now very like the early model. (another jar lid as a painting mask!!) The rudder trim is still wrong (Mustang) but I will replace that in due course.
All the levers, panels, handles and trims have now been clear coated and the duller finish is more in line with a warbird.
I've also added a third switch housing to the bottom of the other two ...so now have Pressure Head Heat, Fuel Pump (not strictly a Mk 1 or 2 feature!) and a Camera Master.  I still need to get the chains to run dummies from the trim wheels.

That's about it for now.

Trevor Hale

Drool...  This thing is looking better and better all the time..  Keep up the great work.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

shaneb

That looks great . . the attention to detail really makes everything stand out!    :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

DarrylH

Thanks guys, it is getting finisheder and finisheder now. ;D

DarrylH

The final test fit before pulling all the non essential stuff out and skinning the outside. Then on to painting next weekend.  Pictures:
The front  frame of the canopy section covering the accumulator and radios is where the sim ends at the back. I have now made this canopy frame from alu.  In it the circular button at the top is for "canopy open/close" in FSX. This positioning means that to open or close the canopy you need to bring your hand up and over your head just as in the real thing. Hopefully a nice extra little touch of immersion.

The sutton Harness is just draped over the seat for this test fit. It will be installed tomorrow or Wed night.

The view behind the panel.

The engine instruments and fuel controls. It has never struck me until now how logically and conveniently placed all of these are, I have read criticisms of teh layout before today...can't understand them now. Just out of frame to the left of the Kygas is the main fuelcock.

The "six pack"

The other side.

The Full monty.

I am so close now, I can smell it!!

jackpilot

Darryl
Your Spit(fire) is an inspiration, correction should be an inspiration, to any non airliner builder ...Well almost because I still have this steam gauge syndrome very vivid, like: a full 737-200 panel full of pointers going!!
Just to say that you built one of a kind, nicest, fighter bird, seen this side of cockpitbuilding-land.
And as Nick said: Nothing like the smell of a tailpipe in the Morning!!!
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

Oh my gosh...this is absolutely incredible.   I love the real look.   Cant wait to see it flying!!

DarrylH

Thank you  gents,

I have certainly had my share of inspiration from others, so I hope I can return some of the favour.

JP, Steam Gauges?? Is there iny other kind??  8)

Thanks again and I can't wait to get her going and post a video.

Darryl

andarlite

Outstanding work Darryl. You got a real winner there.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

DarrylH

DarrylH

New update. Getting very close to finished now.

First some detail shots of the interior

They pretty much speak for themselves.

The seat..with Sutton Harness now fitted (the other two straps will be attached, one behind the seat and one through and onto the back of the sim with  an elastic "inertia lock real".

Armour plate waiting for it's next coat of paint.

A closer look at the undercarriage unti fairing

The bottom frame of the bullet proof windcreen with the sides of the front canopy frame.

Most of the bits to fix back in..the Lightbulb holder arrived an is currently drying..thank you Spits!

The "sound system"

The top coat of Cabots is on but isn't as shiny as I'd hoped. I think I will go get a gloss and use that for another top coat. Sorry but the flash obscures some of the features

And the final for tonight...the "signwriting". Painted by putting a cut stencil (adhesive) on the wall..had some fun with that twisting and sticking to itself but we got there.  Pay no attention to the rough green line...that will be covered by the windscreen frame.

the shiny glow around the Moody Blue" is the "cloud" I painted  on to break up the outline.

More to come Saturday night chaps 

Trevor Hale

Stunning Pictures..  Man you really have attention to detail don't you.  Amazing progress you have made.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

DarrylH

Thanks Trevor,

Yes, I do get caught up in the detail...I did a ton of research for this build and found out a good few things I did not know previously about the Spitfire...which surprised me a bit as I have researched a lot over the years previous to starting this.

I believe the Spitty deserves every little thing that I can give her. I felt a little guilty about using blue instead of pink...I also feel guilty about the name....but poetic licence...

But I want a real Spitfire pilot to climb in and feel like it is "right".

Little things help a lot. For instance, the Sutton Harness running through the right seat decking butr going over the seat edge on the left. , also the ORDER the Sutton Straps are attached in (they are numbered) is correct.

Small stuff like that just gives me great pleasure.

More soon, cheers

Darryl

jackpilot

Quote from: DarrylH on April 21, 2010, 08:08:44 AM
But I want a real Spitfire pilot to climb in and feel like it is "right".
Darryl
1) Hurry up, they tend to be rare.
2) This being said, the remaining ones all have a twinkle in their eyes and a formidable love for life, and they might be overly sentimental climbing in your amazing bird.

(I lost one of them a few years ago, RCAF Hurricane though, at close to 90 he still had the best Single Malts in the area and a strong inclination for Cigars, Bridge and Ladies. Flying is the best medicine known to man.!)
Cheers
JP

Jack

DarrylH

Thanks Jack,

Yes, the chances are not good but I can hope.

Tonight sees the interior get it's last coat of paint and the hole for the Emergency Undercarriage Cylinder has to be cut.

DarrylH

Ok, a series of the real thing and then mine to as she is now:

And some gratuitous detail and general shots:

Still a lot to do to make her "flyable" but sitting in her now is great. The leather seat back and headrest are being done, and Spits is making teh door mechanism for me..thanks mate...so it is all go. Hopefully an update soon.

Kennair

Wow, looks beautiful Darryl, but which one is the yours and which one is the real deal??? LOl.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

DarrylH

Thanks Ken,

You'll have to sneak down this way too.

Any 777 pics yet?

Trevor Hale

Absolutely stunning..  I just can't beleive how well yours matches.  Fantastic Job.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

bussgarfield

Very impressive Darryl.

I bet you can't wait to get the sound system up and running to get the pounding of the Merlin in your ears and a large fan at the front just for the atmospheric effect.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate