Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
149 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Best VidCard for FSX or 9

Started by Emesis, October 07, 2010, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emesis

Hey guys,
I've been searching this forum and looking for info on video cards. What is the general consensus of which video card runs FSX orFfS9 the best? I'm looking to upgrade and was thinking about the Nvidia GTX 460. I know it's an older vidcard but I recall reading somewhere that some of the newer Nvidia cards run slower with FSX then the older ones.

So I was just interested in seeing what everyone else is running and their thoughts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Or if this has been discussed here before, please send me the link.

Cheers

Maurice

This topic was discussed in the FDS forum recently:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4322

Don`t know if I`m breaking any forum rules by providing a link to another forum, but if I am, please delete my post.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Emesis

Don't know if you're breaking any rules but thanx for the link.

And everyone already knows about that rebel in you that doesn't follow rules anyway! :laugh:

Cheers

jackpilot

Hey Guys....
This is THE super duper forum.... rules ????

Rule #1:  Having fun wth a gaggle of nuts
Rule #2:  helping each other aiming for Lean oxy level Nirvana
Rule #3:  see above!

:laugh:

Jack

Bob Reed

Quote from: maurice on October 07, 2010, 03:04:38 PM
This topic was discussed in the FDS forum recently:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4322

Don`t know if I`m breaking any forum rules by providing a link to another forum, but if I am, please delete my post.

Maurice

None what so ever!!! Thanks for the link!

Maurice

Thanks guys. I kinda knew that but `old habits` die hard  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Emesis

Anyone else have an opinion and what are they currently using?
The link was helpful but basically gave one option, one of the most expensive cards  :o
I spent over $500 for my 8800gtx oc a few years back so I think there's performance out there now days for FSX with a little less expensive card, such as  the GTX 275.

So it might be interesting to maybe start a poll on what builders are using.
I would be interested to see the results, anyone else curious?

Cheers

Boeing Skunk Works

Just about anything you buy nowdays will smoke FS9. All of my systems except one are running Power Color HDxxxx series ATI  Radeon cards of one kind or another with 512mb on-board each. The exception is the main FS computer running the same chipset but made by Sapphire with 1GB on-board. The second card in that machine is also a Power Color HDxxxx ATI Radeon 512mb.

None of these cards are made any longer. I think their shelf life is around 90 days before the next one is introduced. For FS9 just put pictures of all the cards you are considering on a wall and throw a dart. Whichever one it lands on will work fine.

Starting about three or four years ago, my requirements for an FS9 video card were 512mb on-board minimum and PCI Express 2.0 and that's about it.

Can't say anything about FSX. Never ran it. Never will.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Emesis

Yes most any card will run FS9 with no problems but I prefer FSX so I'm more interested in those results.

Thanks

Boeing Skunk Works

Then what was the point about asking what video cards were good for FS9?

Emesis

Well since you are so inquisitive, I was mostly interested in FSX. But if people wanted to give info on FS9 also, then I was willing to hear what they had to say. I really wasn't asking which MS Flight Sim they preferred I was just inquiring about video cards.

Cheers

Boeing Skunk Works

And I wasn't indicating which simulator I prefered, only which simulator I have set up for the video cards you asked about which you are not going to use and are not interested in anyway. That's probably the longest sentence I've ever written.

This is mostly a very logical forum, if not somewhat off-beat. Don't ask questions you need no information for.

Emesis

Ok Mikey thank you for those words of wisdom.
If I ever need info on outdated ATI cards or FS9 then I  know which guru to ask.  ::)

Anyway moving along......

Still curious what video cards builders are using?
Basically just mention which card you use and your opinion.
Just trying to get an idea which is the most popular card with builders.

Thanks for your help.

XOrionFE

Rand,

Mike is a HIGHLY respected member of this forum.    Mike is right in that your initial question was about both FSX and FS9 for which he took time out of his day to give a good response to you and in return you basically said not interested.    I think Mike was right on when he questioned your initial post.    I also think your response to him above is very sarcastic and disrespectful to someone who was only trying to help.   I dont feel like we have room for that in these forums.   It is a great way to lose respect around here and personally I think you owe him an apology.   If your response above was not meant this way then please clearify it.

Just saying.....

Scott

Emesis

Scott,
No I wasn't trying to be disrespectful at all, so sorry if it came across that way.
That's the problem with emails and forum posts, you can never express a real emotion and tell when someone is joking or serious.
All it takes is to word something wrong and it's totally taken out of context and turned into a drama. Just like this!

As I explained in a previous post I was MOSTLY interested in FSX video cards, but if someone wanted to respond about FS9 I would gladly listen to their info.
I guess I should of just stuck with FSX video cards in my initial post, but I also wanted to include the FS9 users just in case they had some info that I could use.
Anyway like I said in the previous post, let's just move along. This is totally taken away from what I intended.

Cheers

Trevor Hale

Emesis,

I have to agree with you in that sometimes things are said in a forum that are taken out of context.  I too have made this mistake in the past and can asure you that it does happen.  That being said I have learned that when new in a forum, you should get to know the players, and do a lot of reading and listening before you let a post get you the wrong way.  If you feel you are being attacked then my suggestion to you (From experience) is let it go.  I assure you that everyone here is trying to be helpful, and in some cases you could have responded "thanks, and what might you guys suggest for FSX?"   Normally I would make this post to you in private, however this is the "FIRST" time a thread on this forum has started to go sour, and Everyone needs to know that we won't let it.  "This forum is a FUN" no politics forum, and anyone wanting to start the stuff that has caused other forums to go south will be asked politely to leave.  Please try to let your hair down and enjoy the forum..  We come here for fun, and help each other.  we have no room for a pissing contest.

I appreciate your looking for help, and we are happy to oblige, however if you ever feel the need to lash out at someone please visit HERE you may find it better suited to your needs.

With any luck nobody will be offended by this and we can just move on. 

Best regards,

Trev

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bussgarfield

Hi Emesis.

I also reflect what Trevor has said.

I use FSX and have 3 X Nvidia 9800GT cards installed to run 3 visual monitors. They are each 256mb.

The problem is, they are now 2 years old and have been upgraded by Nvidia since I bought them. I do not plan to re-new them for a while as they are doing me just fine and I can't justify (to the wife) that re-newal.

I am not being critical but can I suggest that you take a look at the latest PC mags as they will usually have tests on the lastest models.

At the end of the day, it is all down to what you can afford. If you can get your hands on the latest water cooled card then go fo it. It will probably be better than most of us run for our systems as we are all that 2 years behind.

Sorry if that is not more helpful but technology is probably changing faster than us.

Can you please sign off with you name as it does help with being less impersonable.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

Emesis

Trev,
Thanks for the input, I've apologized and said thanks several times, and I wasn't lashing out, so please can we just move on!
My appreciation goes out to all the members that did reply, but Trev if you can be so kind and please close this thread.
Thank you.

Gary,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I do read the latest reviews and understand that tech changes daily. But in some instances newer video cards will run FS worse then an older card, so that's what I was trying to do is get a general consensus on which was the most popular card.
But even the best intentions can go awry, so I give up. But it's cool I will figure it out myself.

Regards,
Rand

Bob Reed

Hi Rand. I would think that any of the cards around a year old (to give them time to bring the drivers up to snuff) would be great for FSX. I run FSX (from time to time) on my Nvidia 8800s and they do a great job so if it works that well on an older card the newer ones (not the newest as stated above drivers need time to catch up) should run it great!

Emesis

Thank you Bob, I appreciate the info.

Rand

Kennair

If you want any advice on hardware recommendations for FSX then head over to HERE.  Nick Needham is the guru of specs and will tell you that for FSX nVidia is the king and more particularly the GTX480 or the latest 485.  Expect to shell out big bucks for these high end cards but they will rock FSX.  I know, I just installed a GTX480 into a very high end rig, replacing an ATI 5870 and can confirm the nvidia kills ATI!

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Emesis

Thanx Ken I appreciate the link.
It's pretty much what maurice mentioned, so the GTX480 may be the way to go. Didn't quite want to spend that much but I know it will be good for several years.
My 8800GTX OC is still a good card and is several years old, I think 3 or 4, and I'm running TH2Go off of it plus another monitor with good results.

What is your setup, are you using TH2Go?

Thanks Again,
Rand

Kennair

i7 980X @ 4.1Ghz, EVGA X58 760 mobo, 6Gb G Skill Ram, 120Gb OCZ SSD for FSX, 1TB HDD for Win7 X64 & Storage (2 partitions), EVGA Superclock GTX480, TH2GO Digital.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Sean

It'd be good to know what differences in frame rates, visual quality, etc. todays high-end cards give over those of a couple of years ago, given that FS prefers faster CPU's before faster graphics cards.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate