Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
101 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 100
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FS 9 Scenery installs

Started by Bob Reed, September 20, 2011, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

Ok I am in need of some guidance. I am going to do a fresh (gasp) install of FS9 on a computer that will do nothing but FS. I am choosing FS9 for several reasons. It takes less horse power to run (I have LOTS of machines that will not run FSX but will run FS9 maxed out) I have lots of add ons for it. So when installing  scenery how to start. Start with the one that covers the widest area and then use the ones that cover more specific areas? If I recall I can go in and chose what sceneries are active as well, correct? Been a long time guys... Help an old guy out.......  :D

Maurice

It's been a long time ago for me with FS9. But I think the principles are the same with FSX. I would install any mesh first before anything else since it determines the ground elevation. After that, I don't think it really matters what scenery you install first since the scenery priority can be changed in the settings or disabled altogether. But I would also install any add-on airports last.

Having said that, I'm really no expert so hope others better informed can chime in. (read I should probably have kept quiet on this question  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

Don't think I have any meshes anymore. I used to own some but I am sure like every other download I bought, I no longer can get them back with out re buying them and to that I say "not going to do it".  >:(

Bob Reed

Ok guys, I have got to tell you about this. I remembered what meshes I had bought. FSGenisis. I went to their website not expecting to much. I remembered my log in and to my surprise my download is still available! WOW I am impressed. I think I will buy some more from them!

blueskydriver

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay. Okay let's start with the reformat and install. If you don't already know, the best way to do an install is the OS on one drive and FS9 on another. Of course, this is the rule for FSX, but it should be the same for FS9.

After the OS is done, do all the updates to the OS and restart aferwards. For FS9 (same or different drive), install FS9, then the updates for FS9 one at a time. Restart the computer each time after the install(s), then open FS9 and go to an Airport. Why?

Well, first it'll let you know if a problem has arisen and it means you can catch it early, as well as the fact that the registry gets things straight for one install at a time. Personally, you should use a defrag at this point for the first time, and even more so later...

Now, the sceneries can be installed as you see fit, in fact install them all to the hard drive, do not use the pull from disk option (that just means install them to hard drive). So, if you install an FS Ground Enviroment add-on, it will enhance the ground scenery data, a program like MegaScenery will enhance on a larger scale of an area...like MegaScenery New York for example.

An Airport Scenery add-on just deals with the airport in question. Thus, if you look at this in a bigger picture, sceneries are broken down like country, state, city, town, road, house in a sense. When you use Google Map for example, and you use the zoom feature slider on the side, you'll see that it zooms based on that logic.

Of course, this is not exactly, instead it's just an analogy, a way to describe sceneries. As to your question, you will be looking at the scenery libraries and the priority levels. Just make sure your add-ons are at the top of the priority list and the FS9 default scenery is at the bottom. Normally, the installation procedure will do this for you, but you can check this in the library (use the menu bar)Therefore, when you're flying, the scenery will appear based on that priority. If you're over an area where your scenery is down to the town level (using the analogy), then you fly out of that area and the next level is based on FS9 default (region, again the analogy) you will go from the add-on to the default scenery and you will notice the difference, if you're looking for it. Otherwise, you might not see the switch, but will see the lower quality in the default scenery.

So, after each add-on is installed, go to the same airport. Let things settle or fly a bit, then exit the FS9 through the menu way out, and restart the computer. Remeber this is to catch problems and let the registry be happy. You might not be happy doing it this way because it'll take longer, but it's better to be ahead of the installations, as opposed to behind. Once you're all done, do a defrag of all hard drives.

Finally, you really should do two drives. Some folks will likely disagree to this for FS9, but we did it that way only after the single drive way just couldn't keep up. We had an equal computer at that time to what our I7 2600K is for FSX today. Back at the end of 2003, when P4 3.2 Ghz with HT was highend and was cutting edge and at a cost of $2000. Oh yeah, it was great. Heck, that is the very same system being used right now to post this reply, in fact been using it everyday. Albeit, the computer is now being used as an outdated technology office computer, it still works very nicely. We have many other I7 high end computers, but this one is like a good reliable woman, like Karen. It (she) has never failed me, it (she) was young when I got it (her), it (she) is stylish and sexy, yet it's a simple computer, she is the girl next door type. What more could be asked of this computer (her).

Before anyone asks "will I get rid of Karen when I get rid of the computer?" The answer is NO! I'll just give her a little more RAM(m'ing) and more Hard Drive! I know! SICK, SICK, SICK! You ever wonder how we stay married while in this hobby/insanity? Well, just answered it...lol.

Anyway, back to Bob's scenery issues, after you get everything installed, you should be all set. If not, post anything or PM us... Although, Bob you're a computer guy, so you'll likely have this all under control.

BSD Team (plus one good'ole sexy computer...and wife)
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

If it sounds like we explain things as if you know nothing; well, that is not the case. Sometimes we just explain it all, so if some new person who knows very little about this topic can read and learn as they follow along, and it saves time for them and us. Remember the days of every single little question and being told to search for it? If they follow along, they will not have to ask so much like we did back in the old, old, old days.

OH, WOW! Look it's MSFS in line draw...oooh, ahhh! Is that an airport or the Tron Light Cycle Grid...lol.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trevor Hale

Great Explination BSD.  I appreciate it :) and by the way..  Every computer/she/it needs additional RAM(ming) from time to time :)

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Bob Reed

I appreciate the time you took on that explanation as you say someone might read this and need a little extra help...  :idiot:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate