Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
126 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 139
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A Tool Guide for those new to Cockpit Building

Started by Tom_G_2010, December 08, 2011, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_G_2010

Because cockpit building requires such a vast array of skills and tool I thought I would share some of my personal knowledge and experience in the form of a handy tool guide for those new to cockpit building.

Enjoy!

DRILL PRESS:  A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it. 

WIRE WHEEL:  Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh  sh--!' 

SKILL SAW:  A portable cutting tool used to make fuselage ribs too short.

PLIERS:  Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters. 

BELT SANDER:  An electric sanding tools commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs. 

HACKSAW:  One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes. 

VISE-GRIPS:  Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand. 

OXYACETYLENE TORCH:  Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the old aircraft parts out of which you want to remove that rare hard to find piece you've been looking for. 

TABLE SAW:  A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. 

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK:  Used for lowering your cockpit frame to the ground after you have installed your dual flight column control cables, trapping the jack handle firmly under the decking. 

BAND SAW:  A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge. 

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER:  Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads. 

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:  A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms. 

PRY BAR:  A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part. 

HOSE CUTTER:  A tool used to make hoses too short. 

HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit. 

UTILITY KNIFE:  Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons from your latest eBay find that are delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl trim panels, liquids in plastic bottles, rare original aircraft operations manuals, eBay refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use. 

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL:  (A personal favorite!!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

jackpilot

Jack

shaneb

Wow . . I'm not the only one!   Tom uses tools the same way I do!       ;D
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Trevor Hale

OMG Hilarious.  Boys this is just the list anyone needs when they start their projects.

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Tom_G_2010

Like a lot of good internet humor I can not take credit for the original list.  It was sent to me by a friend and was originally written from a home auto mechanics perspective.  My contribution was to adapt it to pit building and share the laughs it gave me.
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

matta757

Maurice

I don't like it at all. Somebody must have been spying on me and I find that very disturbing.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Drewsta

Tom!! I cried laughing reading your post! Just the other day I tried soldering some wires and ...well let's just say I can't solder very well. The soldering looks like something that belongs in an art museum, needless to say I "son of a bitched" a screw driver across the room which ended up in my very useful cooling fan. The fan now belongs in that same museum!

Great post and very relatable!
Drew

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate