Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
33 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Thermoforming Acrylic panels.

Started by jackpilot, March 17, 2010, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Actually it was easy.
I followed precise instructions from Steve Cos and it worked out fine.
I made an MDF form replicating the TQ curve. Attached the panel with 2 screws at the bottom and " slowly warm it up, working  the heat from the screws to the opposite end.  Slowly pushing the panel down. "
Heat gun at low setting, not closer than 6", circular motion.
You have to be very patient and do it SLOWLY.

Jack

ETomlin

Thank you very much! I shared this with our Learjet builder's group at Hangar 45.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Trevor Hale

Beautiful...  Looks great Jack..  Man, I can;t wait to see this thing finished.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Quote from: Trevor Hale on March 17, 2010, 01:04:56 PM
Man, I can;t wait to see this thing finished.

So do I..You have no idea!!!

Jack

MarkDidIt

Curious if you did the warming and bending after you had painted and engraved (Looks engraved)?

I have to do this same thing but was worried about cracking or peeling of paint during this process.

jackpilot

Hi "Mark"?

Those are  FDS Pro backlightable engraved panels .
As long as you do it gently and slowly no prob at all with the outer surface.
Avoid overheating which can cause warping and bubbles. (heat gun too close)
Bending a panel like the one shown takes about 15- 20 mn of gentle circular motion to heat evenly.
Jack

Jack

MarkDidIt

Thanks, It sounds like I should be able to do this as well then.  I already have the form built.  My TQ cover is for a Learjet 45, it's considerably wider and I made the panel myself (also backlit) with Cast Acrylic using my CNC machine.  Because of the width, I'll have to make sure I take my time with it.

ETomlin had posted a link about your success over on the Hangar 45 board, so I had to pop in and check this out.

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it worked out for me.

FYI: Here's a pic of the TQ levers I built from scratch for it:

Mark

Bob Reed

Hey Mark, those look great! Thanks for sharing that with us.

jackpilot

Mark
Try on a sample to find out the right distance for the heat gun and get he hang of it.
PS: Nice TQ

Jack

ETomlin

Yes, thanks again Jack. Mark did a great job on his LJ45 levers. If I didnt have a real set, I'd for sure be buying some from him! His look extremely close to those of us fortunate enough to have a real set. In fact, Ron and I both have said several times that when we look at Mark's lever set we forget they are CNC built!

I appreciate you passing along the info on the process for making the curved part and it's what I suspected all along on how to do it but in all honesty I didnt know that the secret was to take as long as you are advising. You have really helped us Learjet guys out with sharing the tecnique and from the Hangar 45 crew, thanks! Im excited to see how it works out for us.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

MarkDidIt

Here's an update on my attempt to form my TQ cover this past weekend.

Due to the different thicknesses of the material, what I feared would happen did.  The very thin part where the back was milled out for the backlighting, sagged on me and no way to correct it.  The problem is getting enough heat for the .25" material to allow it to be formed, but was too much the other area that was only .050" thick.  So I have to find another way to solve this.  I have a couple options in mind, but here's how it turned out anyway.

Newly CNC'd cover, ready for forming:

Backside milled out:

Jig setup which is my first version of the TQ console.
(I cut slots to help distribute the heat which worked as planned).
You can see the bullet heater on the left to force very hot air in thru the side of the jig:

Fullsize: http://www.markdidit.com/Project45/throttle/IMG_6733.jpg

Secured and cooling down

jackpilot

Not sure you can make it with the diff thickness.
I heated mine from the top (painted side) extremely slowly with a heat gun at low setting with circular motion working the heat up the panel while bending.
But they were 3mm even panels.

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

The older Boeing throttles are constructed a bit differently than todays models. Each piece from the left side to the right side of the throttle housing was individual pieces of formed or stamped aluminum. My covering is all individual strips of laminated plastic, rubber, and aluminum.

When I was trying to get the first layer of plastic to conform to the throttle bulkheads, I cut the covering strips to the width I needed but left a little length on them. I set the oven on 125° and put the bulkhead with the strip balanced on the top in the oven and let it form itself. This was polystyrene though and it melts quite fast at low temps.

I don't know if that method would work with different thicknesses of acrylic though.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

Just a thought here guys, and I wouldn't recommend doing this when the wife was around, but what if you places the plastic on a cookie sheet in the oven, and warmed it up gradually and then laid it on the throttle so it would just slack over the throttle?

Would this prevent those thin areas from creasing and allow uniform bending because it is done all at once?

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

Teflon is not just for cookies anymore!

Might work if you can get it off of the cookie sheet at one go.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

I tried the oven.
300F 7 mn     too short
350   10mn    too long or too hot, the sample was warped
Pretty sure can be done if the proper F/mn can be found
Note:the paint was not affected in both cases.

Jack

Rob65

The oven should work.
I've seen professional vacuum forming machines that have a ceramic heater to heat sheets of acrylic or other plastics and wood.

Most acrylic I've used must be heated up to 160 C (320 F). The time is not that critical, it must be long enough for the heat to spread through the material.
I think this works for different thickness also but you have to use a negative mold just to make sure that the thinner parts are not pushed inwards.

heat up the sheet in the oven and the mold with a hot air gun (to make sure that the acrylic sheet does not cool down too fast) and use vacuum to press the acrylic into the mold. Place something like a cotton cleaning cloth on the inside of the mold before applying a vacuum bag to be used as a transport medium for the vacuum.

At least that's the theory - I have not mastered the technique of vacuum forming acrylic myself but I am investigating how this must be done.

Rob

P.s: just do this while the wife is around. She can then use the pre-heated oven to make a delicious cake  :P

Trevor Hale

Quote from: Rob65 on March 29, 2010, 08:58:10 AM
just do this while the wife is around. She can then use the pre-heated oven to make a delicious cake  :P

Then she will feed the poisoned cake to you for doing it.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

autocadplease

Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

hexpope

Thanks for posting this, I was  wondering what I was going to do when it came to the plates of my throttle quad.  Ill give it ago with 3mm aryclic and see how it turns out.

NeoMorph

The way I did it in the past was attach a weight on the one end (I used a diving weight as that is what I had available at the time).

I remember getting micro fractures in some of my bends but cannot remember what I did to remedy it. Anyone know what I mean?
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

hexpope

nope Neo, I hope I dont come across that when doing it, but 3mm should be super easy to work with (I hope!)

NeoMorph

I have a feeling I was using 6mm (or maybe a bit thicker)  and was actually making a base for a router at the time. It was thicker to allow me to fit countersunk screws underneath. Instead of it bending cleanly it went all weird and sparkly inside the plastic. Maybe not enough heat + too thick perspex.

This was a few years back now so my memory sucks... I just hope that when I get around to doing my throttle quadrant covers that I can get it right first time.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

hexpope

Just an update. I used the oven method. (160 C ) when the panels were painted and engraved. Worked really well. I was using 3mm acrylic. Having the shape ready for it when it comes out of the oven is a must. I couldn't believe how fast it cools when removed from the oven. I also thought that the engraving would warp or the paint would be all sticky, but it was not.

Thanks for the tips.

jonesthesoftware

Hi Guys
just like to add my opinions to this thread
Don't use acrylic--- use HIPS (high impact polystyrene) sheet. It has several advantages
1 it's more flexible than acrylic, you can even bend it around your THQ with no heat and no cracking, but obviously it will try to return to it's original shape.
2 it has a lower melting point, so you can warm it with less heat I used a hair drier.
3 it is "whiter" than acrylic so that when you engrave through the paint your legends show up better even without the backlighting.
It's available in sheet form just like acrylic, but ensure you buy High impact polystyrene and not polystyrene packing foam.
Only disadvantage is paint does not stick to it as easy as acrylic. With Acrylic I didn't even use primer but with HIPS I had to use plastic primer. Not much of a problem. I engraved then painted then heated and bent no problem.
You can see the results in the attached image of my 767 throttle i've just made
regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate