Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
173 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 173
Total: 173

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Reversers

Started by Bob Reed, April 24, 2016, 11:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

I am running 10.45. Am I the only one with working proportional reversers right out of the box? Yes I do... When you pull them the sounds change, the ECAS says REV and if you look outside the airplane the reversers open up. My only issue is when in Rev the power will go to 100% I think I can fix that.

RayS

How did you get proportional reverse thrust to worK? I never had any success in doing that. I have to engage reverse thrust using 2 microswitches actuated by pulling the throttles into full reverse, then telling X-Plane what to do for that joystick event.
Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

Do not loose sleep about proportional reverse...used only in very very non standard conditions, (meaning basically never) as stopping a liner is essentially done via brakes.

Jack

Jack

FredK

Ray...

You can get proportionate reverse thrust using pots....either an extension of the range of your throttle pots or using separate pots depending on your mechanical setup.

The lower range of values for the standard FSUIPC thrust offsets are defined for reverse thrust use.  That is how I have mine setup, but only as a matter of convenience because it saved me putting in switches.

Like Jack says...reverse thrust is either all or nothing.  The last time I pulled up my reversers half way up was when I was testing thrust operation during my throttle build.

Fred K

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Bob Reed

Fred, we are talking about X Plane. Jack, every flight I have been on in the last several years, bar none, has used reverse thrust to slow the aircraft after landing. Ray, all I did was set Reverse engine 1 and 2 for the axis I am using. Again it does go to 100% so I am not saying I have it right all I know is that there is reverse thrust. The flaps on the engines even open up.

jackpilot

Yes Bob reversers are used everytime to help slowing the Aircraft, (help only)
The real job is done by the breaking system.

I was talking about the proportional use of them which is very very rarely used.
All or nothing mostly, so in our sims a switch does the trick and simplifies an already complicated enough life !  :D

Jack

RayS

Thanks everyone. I'll probably leave well-enough alone then. I tried this out and re-calibrated my throttles using the full range, including the reverse-thrust gates and while reverse-thrust does work without using the microswitches, now my idle is way too high (Beech 1900D) and I end up using too much brake during taxi.

So... I'll leave well-enough alone and rely on my micro-switches to engage reverse in X-Plane.

:-)
Ray Sotkiewicz

727737Nut

Ray, Easy fix if you are using arduino to get proportional reverse jet OR prop thrust that ALL pilots use in real life ;)  Shoot me a PM if interested.  I'll keep my mouth shut on the rest of the post, to each his own  :2cw:

Rob
737 Junkie

jackpilot

Reverse thrust is not even taken into account on the landing performance data charts for most jet aircraft.
They are used and more effective at high speed (initial landing run) and/or when runway is contaminated.
Brakes (aided by spoilers) are more effective than anything else.

Jack

727737Nut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_reversal

[url][/urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_reversal

With that, I bow out,

Good day gentlemen,
737 Junkie

Garys

I read the wiki page and nowhere did I see it mention the actual % that the reversers aid in the deceleration of an aircraft after landing.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Garys on April 26, 2016, 01:35:29 PM
I read the wiki page and nowhere did I see it mention the actual % that the reversers aid in the deceleration of an aircraft after landing.

If you were doing an FAA or Canadian technical powerplant examination and said an answer other than 20% you would be wrong.

As for all pilots using it in real life, Ive ridden jump many many times on the NG. I have never seen the crews use proportional reverse thrust.

Well again I do not know what airlines you fly but I have never landed at any airport in the last 5 years where they did not use the reversers. Where they all 73's, no....

Garys

XOrionFE

When I was running the x737 with sim-a and my modified real tq I got proportional reverse thrust working by setting the ranges in planemaker.   You can tell it in planemaker where idle is and the beta range (aka reverse thrust in a jet).   That worked.  As i pulled the levers back to idle, engine rpms slowed. Then when I raised the reverse levers (furthering pot throw) engine rpms climbed proportionately again,   Then the trick was to use the switches (programmed through xpuipc offset and interfacit) to deploy the reversers.  One of my videos out there shows this working....

I like proportional reverse because it allows me to backup from the gate without a proper pushback so I can run over the linemen and baggage carts.   Also great for pulling wheelies by backing up then slamming on the brakes!

:P

Bob Reed

I would be interested Scott on how you programed the switches through XPUIPC. I need to program a couple switches to set offsets for PM myself.

Bob Reed

And after talking to Rob, we figured out why mine work the way they do. I am using 4 pots. 2 for throttle and 2 for reversers. This clears things up...I think....

XOrionFE

Quote from: Bob Reed on April 26, 2016, 05:29:05 PM
I would be interested Scott on how you programed the switches through XPUIPC. I need to program a couple switches to set offsets for PM myself.

Hey Bob,
Found my notes on this

See if you can read out of this picture...if not I will transcribe

jackpilot

Yep Scott, backing up with the reversers is standard practice on my favorite airplane...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW65M7pD8uk

Jack

Bob Reed

Quote from: XOrionFE on April 26, 2016, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: Bob Reed on April 26, 2016, 05:29:05 PM

Hey Bob,
Found my notes on this

See if you can read out of this picture...if not I will transcribe

Scott, THANK YOU! I think I can read them. I am at Sam's right now but let me see what I can do.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate