Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
702 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 714
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 702
Total: 702

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Flyboyandre's Cockpit Project

Started by Flyboyandre, November 14, 2010, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

Almost ready for the test flight. I need to get FSClient fully up and running along with some small adjustments in FSUIPC. I'm far from done but wanted to show a picture and a couple of quick video clips captured with my cell phone.

flyboyandre - video-2010-12-09-23-28-08.mp4

flyboyandre - video-2010-12-09-23-28-43.mp4

Flyboyandre

FSXpand up and running. Thinking about a test flight later.

Bob Reed

Flyboyandre

Flyboyandre

Picture of the plexi glass for overhead panel after masking, painting and cutting our all letters for the 54 switches. Panel is now ready for switches and backlighting. Big thanks to my buddy Steve for cutting the mask for the font. Took 2 hours to peel the mask tonight :)

Flyboyandre

Quick update shot of the overhead as it stands tonight. Just waiting for a couple more switches before I start the time consuming wiring process.

usafgadget

Andre,

Can you explain the font masking process in more detail please.  I'm trying to decide how to go about do my set up.

Thanks,

Chris
You can accelerate out of any problem.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: usafgadget on January 11, 2011, 05:43:54 AM
Andre,

Can you explain the font masking process in more detail please.  I'm trying to decide how to go about do my set up.

Thanks,

Chris

I had a friend who owns a vinyl cutter so we printed all the letters for the overhead and applied them to the plexi glass before spraying the plate with 3 coats of grey base and backed it with black. Then came the grueling process of peeling all the vinyl letters one by one.

Flyboyandre

Just a tiny overhead panel update with only 3 rotary encoders left to install.

Flyboyandre

Cruising on. Tested a couple of the switches tonight, in the midst of the wiring chaos.

Flyboyandre

Flyboyandre

Backlight panel for overhead in place.

Flyboyandre

Finished the wiring of the overhead panel tonight. I'm so tired of soldering now but I'm very close to installing the finished product.

Flyboyandre

Here is a little video clip after I wired the switches tonight. I hope to have it installed and fully up and running by the end of next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8kwCs2LVA

Emesis

Video looks good, but one problem, the lettering is upside down!  ;)

Well I was joking at first but when you toggle a switch in the video it looks like it's going to the off position when it lights up? Or am I seeing things? :P

Cheers

Flyboyandre

Lettering isnt upside down. The overhead will be positioned above the chair and at a different angle so wait and see. Do you think i put in this much work to miss a detail like that? Additionally, this means the switches light up correct as well, with the same explanation behind.

Geez people!

Emesis

Dude chill, you don't have to get defensive, I'm just joking and asking a question?  :laugh:

Don't ask for feedback if you don't want it.  :)

Cheers

Flyboyandre

Overhead will be installed this week. After a couple of hours with the soldering iron, every switch is now powered and functioning.
Sorry about the video quality but I ended up having to use the iFlip camera as I didn't possess enough motivation to get the camcorder.

Flyboyandre

Tested the support lights for the main panel tonight. I will be installing a dimmer to enable adjustments to be made.

Flyboyandre

Overhead has been tested and mounted. Now comes the easier job of concealing the cables before enjoying some programming and flight time.

Flyboyandre

Ok, she's done. I hope my sim friends from all over the world endorse the work :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtrPdJHdZM

XOrionFE

Looks fantastic Andre.   Nice work.  I'll bet it feels really good now to have it done to a point you can fly happily in it.    I warn you though....its never done :-).  I think you have been totally bitten by the bug!

Again, Nice work.   Now post a video of you flying that bad boy!

Scott

ETomlin

Incredible generic cockpit. That's going to be a ton of fun to fly and will be very  immersive. Congrats on a great job done well!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jskibo

Very nice.....

Look forward to seeing what your next project is....
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate