Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
741 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 747
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 741
Total: 741

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How to add a rumbling sound when on runway ?

Started by Nick1150, December 31, 2010, 02:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick1150

Hi,

I would like to add a rumbling wav sound to be played during taxi, during take off when accelerating on the runway and also during landing after touch down.

Can you please tell me which wav file FS uses for that purpose and where it is located ?

I am using FS9 with PM, PMsounds for the cockpit sounds and POLKY 737-800 with its original sounds package.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

matta757

Hi Nick,

I am shooting from memory here so forgive me if I am mistaken... but take a look at the SOUND.CFG file for the aircraft you want to add the sound to. Using the find feature of wordpad or notepad, look up BNROLL.WAV and once you have found it, that is the sound file responsible for the rumbling noise. Within the CFG file, you can edit how loud that particular sound is. If you want to change that sound, just take the .WAV file you want to use and rename is BNROLL.WAV and replace it in the sound folder. Backup everything first before you do any editing tho!

Hope that helps,
Matt

matta757

Nick,

Just kidding ;) I found where the sound is actually located. The wave file is located in the main FS sound folder. There should be 2 of them, called BNROLL.WAV and BNROLL2.WAV. You can replace these with new files to get different sounds. I know these are the sounds responsible for the rumble, but I am still trying to remember/find where you edit them into the sound files. If anyone else can help that would be great, but I will also keep looking!

Matt

Nick1150

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info :)

I will try this asap, and let you know.

;)

PS. Hav a great happy new year :)
Nick

Kennair

Hi Nick,

The name of the sound file used for ground roll depends on the aircraft being used and the sounds that have been incorporated.  In the case of FS default aircraft and many freeware addons such as Posky they use bnroll.wav & bnroll2.wav as Matt suggested however if a customized soundfile has been created they may be called something else.  It's easy to find out though.

Open up the sound.cfg file located in the specific aircrafts sound folder using windows notepad (or any text editor), scroll down to the bottom section and look for an entry titled below:

[GROUND_ROLL]
filename=732RODAJE
flags=0
minimum_volume=8000
maximum_volume=10000
minimum_speed=3
maximum_speed=160
minimum_rate=0.85
maximum_rate=1.1
link=GROUND_ROLL1

[GROUND_ROLL1]
filename=732RODAJE2
flags=0

This is an example of my Posky 777 for FSX.  There are two files linked together by the "link" command so that both soundfiles play together when the wheels are on the ground.  The first file is the low frequency rumble of tires on the tarmac and the second file is rattles and sqeakes heard in the cabin.  As you can see the first soundfile has a number of parameters associated with it giving extra dynamics so that the sound increases as speed increases (note that the max volume of any soundfile is 10000 so there's nothing to gain from increasing this value beyond despite what you may see from many developers). 

You have many options to change or replace these sounds as you desire.  I tend to experiment with wave files from other aircraft or tweak the current wave files using a suitable sound editing program increasing the bass frequencies for more rumble etc.  Remember if you use a wave file from another aircraft you will need to copy it into the sound directory of your Posky and edit the above entry in your sound.cfg file replacing the old name with your new chosen wave file.  Just enter the name of the new file leaving out the extension .wav   Save and fly.

Hope that helps,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

matta757

Ken,

Thank you for posting that. I don't know why I was unable to remember that it was located in the aircraft sound config! Now I also intend to replace some of my sounds and make some mods for the speeds etc.

Happy New Year everyone!

Matt

Nick1150

Thanks Ken and Matt again,

I replaced the file already and I am experimenting right now

I really appreciate your help guys :)

Have a great year,

Regards,

Nick
Nick

saabpilot

Great information !   :D

Now I will go ahead and alter my sound files so the 737 sounds as it should and my Buttkicker do what it is supposed to.

Best and Happy New Year to all,
Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

fdspcos

If I may, an old trick I saw in my pro aerospace days was the editing of sounds like this. In a desktop sim setup you likely are fine with the default "rumble". For you folks with all this immersion you likely have subwoofers employed. Problem is you have to boost the bottom registers to get that heavy runway sound and that impacts all the sounds in some way. It is possible to edit the rumble.wav sound and "dial up" the lower frequencies of that rumble so that they hit the subwoofer well.
I used to see a lot of trial wav editors around. Worth a try!?

P. Cos
Flightdeck Solutions

Kennair

And an excellent suggestion Peter, with more and more using Buttkickers its paramount that the correct sounds have bass frequencies within the range required but you don't want all that bass in other sounds.  For a good free audio editor I suggest something like Audacity as its pretty easy to tweak the sounds, however there are many others out there also.

Good to see you here and part of Cockpitbuilders.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate