Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
490 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 490
Total: 490

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Motion platform build

Started by binto100, January 06, 2011, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binto100

Greetings.
A few months ago I introduced myself and my goal of first building a motion platform by way of this thread: http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1075.msg8209#msg8209

Shortly thereafter I purchased a mill so I did not have to rely on a machine shop everytime I needed a prototype part.  I am not a machinist and there has been a learning (and spending) curve but I am now back on track.

The basic platform will be constructed using 80/20 and one of the many parts I need are very strong hinges that will become part of four anti-yaw assemblies.  I designed the hinges and had the individual pieces cut out of 1" aluminum by water jet.  Here I've made a jig to hold two hinge pieces in place:

Here I am using a boring head to bore a 1.249 inch hole into both pieces before I press in oil sintered bronze bushings:

Here is the assembled hinge.  For final assembly I will mill the bushings flush, install needle thrust bearings in the middle and on both sides of the hinges, and use shaft collars to keep everything in place.

It's not an attractive or elegant hinge but it is silky smooth and I must say seems very reluctant to flex.  One pair done, 15 more to go!

More to come as more gets done.

Bruce

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate