Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
490 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 490
Total: 490

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Force Feedback Can Be Dangerous

Started by NeoMorph, February 04, 2011, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

While looking for bits and pieces that I can use for my current cockpit project I found my old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick that I used for Combat Flight Simulator. It was originally modded so that I could fit it to the floor of my cockpit and then the joystick outer part was removed, the wires extended and a piece of copper pipe slotted over the inner pipe and fastened down. The extension then got bent slightly and then another piece inserted to get the top of the pipe to match the old inner part of the joystick so that I could fit the old joystick outer part again.

Now all was going great. It was fitted and then I was flying with what felt like a real floor mounted flight stick. The thing really made you feel like you could feel the wind buffetting the control surfaces.

Anyway, the next time I went to have a go I sat in the pilot's seat and booted up the PC, completely forgetting there is this initial glitch  when the force feedback kicks in. I had disabled the sensor that only caused the force feedback to kick in when it detected your hand on the stick (BIG mistake there) so the system decided it would push the stick forward and then backwards REALLY, REALLY FAST.

*THUD*

I then said... "OUCH!" as the stick hit me in the... ahem. Put it this way, it brought tears to my eyes. Oh and I didn't say "OUCH!" exactly.

So, boys and girls, the lesson for today is DON'T DISABLE THE SAFETY FEATURE ON MODDED FORCE FEEDBACK JOYSTICKS. They are there for a reason.

I'd completely forgotten about the force feedback cockpit I had made... I think I used to use it for the F22 sim along with several PC DASH 2 boards and a 19" monitor (even found the monitor). I'm such a packrat that I never throw stuff away if I think it might come in useful.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate