Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 09:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
721 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 721
Total: 721

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Horizon line barely visible

Started by Maurice, March 25, 2011, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeeGee

Thanks Maurice. If this is true for all your SimObject default aircraft, then it does sound like a projector move. If, however, you just want the 737 views to be moved higher, we can give it a go with the default view numbers ammended. I can give you the numbers to try tomorrow - but to be fair, this will just be for the 737 pit and nothing else. Till later, Charlie. :-\
First Jet Airliner flies again

Maurice

Quote from: CeeGee on March 28, 2011, 04:44:00 PM
Thanks Maurice. If this is true for all your SimObject default aircraft, then it does sound like a projector move. If, however, you just want the 737 views to be moved higher, we can give it a go with the default view numbers ammended. I can give you the numbers to try tomorrow - but to be fair, this will just be for the 737 pit and nothing else. Till later, Charlie. :-\

All I fly is the 737 so if there is a way to make that one work, that would be really great.

Thanks,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Nat Crea

Mau,

Hate to jump in, but just move/tilt your projectors.
Youll be sorry down the road with tweaking all these variables.

Just so you know, I did NOTHING but set my camera angles (left and right),
adjusted lateral eyepoint to zero in the aircraft.cfg. The rest is Sol7/NThusim.

If you need proof again just watch this:  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFVPwQ6QulQ

By the way, NThusim 3.0 will keep you all busy for a while....no April Fools joke!  :P

Nat

Maurice

I fully agree Nat BUT I'm incredibly lazy about doing physical work, so I'll move the projectors if there absolutely isn't a tweaking alternative.  ;D

Maurice

CeeGee

Maurice, you might have done this already, but alter your zoom [- and +] settings first. We fly at 0.6, no ground rush and shows more detail. You can zoom in closer but then you will be courting ground rush. I can also alter your flap pitch so that you can see loads of runway on approach if you still need it. Pic is the 2 zoom settings, Charlie.

Nat Crea

Quoteso I'll move the projectors if there absolutely isn't a tweaking alternative

Mau you'll be moving your projectors in a few days anyway 8)

Nat

CeeGee

Tee Hee, as you can tell, I like the numbers [14 years and still tweaking!] Try this from Bob Chicilo, it works well and I have used it on my Boeings [but not the Comet]. It gives you a flatter cruise and more visability but it might step on Mike's 3 degrees nose up! Charlie.

Maurice

Thank you CeeGee for your efforts, but I'm afraid Nat is right...I'll be moving the projectors. There is just no way to play with the zoom numbers when you have 3 undocked windows with a 210 degrees field of view. Only one zoom value will work and will let you line up the 3 views properly. In my case, it is 0.69 and any deviation from that fails.

In fact, with 0.60 like you mentioned, the horizon line was even lower by one inch.

Anyway, it's no longer worth the effort so I'll bite the bullet & move the projectors. This way, I may have a chance to really fly before the end of the world in 2012  :)

Thanks again,

Maurice

CeeGee

No problem but I would try Bob's fix, it moves the aicraft not the viewpoint so your 3 views will be the same. Good luck with your moving, I feel for you! Charlie.

Maurice

Quote from: CeeGee on March 30, 2011, 07:32:15 AM
No problem but I would try Bob's fix, it moves the aicraft not the viewpoint so your 3 views will be the same. Good luck with your moving, I feel for you! Charlie.

I am not using the default 737 anymore, so don't want to replace the PMDG airfile with a default B737-800 airfile.

Anyway, raising the projectors is really not that big a deal but I was just being lazy as usual.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway,

Maurice

jackpilot

Quote from: maurice on March 25, 2011, 09:51:43 AM
I have a problem seeing the horizon when in level flight. When on the runway ready to roll, the horizon line seems just right and I see the runway very clearly. So I assume the eye point is at the correct height.

However, when in level flight, I can barely see the horizon .[/color]

Thanks,
Maurice

I know that you know, but this is what happens when the airplane is over max GW, or landing with too much fuel.
Just in case! ???

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on March 31, 2011, 01:14:29 AM

I know that you know, but this is what happens when the airplane is over max GW, or landing with too much fuel.
Just in case! ???

Thanks but not the case here Jack. Happens at any weight.

Maurice

blueskydriver

Maurice,

Have an idea as to what could be wrong because you also mentioned how the side views are not even when you fly and/or how things going from one view to another are not right.

You need to check your Flt file and look at the orders of the [Window #'s]. IMO, it sounds like you have [window 1] up higher in level. Check to see if it's order number 3.

Then, [window 2] should be order 0, [window 3] should be order 1, [window 4] should be order 2. Unless, you designed your windows in a different direction. Should have started left window=[window 2], middle window=[window 3], and right window=[window 4].

Looking at the Windowmaker program, it shows things differently. It makes [Window 1] and [Window 4] the same order number of 3, in which case it is trying to make both of them on the same (background) level.

Quite frankly, we're thinking this might have something to do with NTHUSIM, that GBW issue and other seen problems... FSX uses the background window to work with other things that it does, so if that is true, then it is getting confused over which one to use, if two windows are being ordered as number 3.

Plus, not sure, but how can the background [window 1] and the [window 4] occupy the same order, it seems the should cause a FSX crash to desktop, or at least a FSX error dialog to appear.

You know Ivar has pointed to this somewhat by talking about the background layer and the EFB program usage, and they're related.

Still, if your layers are off, you could be seeing the left window, the background window and the right window, instead of seeing left, center and right. Right at this very moment we're looking at this being projected and things are off for sure from left to right because the background is in front of the center window, and the horizon line is lower in the center. This was due to having [window 1] as order 0, where it has to be 3. In other words, if the orders are not right, then it does cause problems.

Hope this helps,

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 01, 2011, 10:40:41 AM
Maurice,

Have an idea as to what could be wrong because you also mentioned how the side views are not even when you fly and/or how things going from one view to another are not right.

I did not say that exactly. The views are perfectly lined up & synchronized as long as I don't try to raise the horizon line by changing the eyepoint/camera angles. That's the only time when things look bad.

At any rate, I raised the projectors now so this is no longer an issue. The only issue I have now is the new Nthusim version with edge blending. It is supposed to be super easy to do the blending but I am not getting anywhere with it and I have no idea how to even start.

I must be getting very old and senile to not be able to figure this out. Anyway, maybe a bell will ring tomorrow so quitting now & trying again tomorrow if I'm not too disgusted still. It must be really, really easy since they did not bother giving any instructions  ...yeah right. And if it really is that easy & I can't figure it out, I should quit now & take up an easier hobby such as rocket science or nuclear engineering  :)

Maurice

wledzian

I don't know how much help I can provide, but as the author of windowmaker.xls, I figured I'd chime in.

First off, windowmaker is not perfect.  I know more about the fsx window structure now then I did then, but life has been far too busy for me to sit down and revise it.

Due to the way FSX generates the views, any pitch angle will cause misalignment.  If you want to move the horizon and keep things lined up, you have two options:
1: tilt the projectors to put the horizon even with your eyes when you are level.
2: Use a vertically shorter window shifted towards the top of the screen.

#1 will allow you to keep the full vertical resolution of the projector.
#2 will save you the trouble of moving the projectors, but will waste the bottom of your available view.

Regarding the "distortion" of the horizon when you pitch up, that is an artifact of independent perspective projections.  the only way to get rid of that is to adjust for it in your warping configuration.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate