Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 12:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
701 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 701
Total: 701

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

OpenCockpits 737 Flap Gauge Problems

Started by bussgarfield, June 19, 2011, 08:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bussgarfield

Hi all.

I need some help and/or advice please.

I am not sure if anyone else here runs the OC 737 flaps gauge but having had it sitting in the box for ages, I thought it was about time to start getting some movement on the MIP.
To cut to the end of the story first, I can't get the gauge to work with FSX.

Testing the servo, it works fine using the test.exe programme. I have noted the values required at the appropriate flap settings and I have modified the script (which was copied from the OC site) by changing the values of the variables, imported the script into the config_sioc.exe programme and saved as sioc.ssi

I will attach a copy of my script but the only things I have changed are the value of the variables.

One thing to note how ever is that unlike the installation manual, my values when the flaps are 'up' are high and start at 1008 (as oppsed to 153 in the manual) and at flaps '40', the value is 200 (as oppsed to 709 in the manual). I can't find a way to reverse the servo. Whether the higher settings at the flaps up in the script have any bearing on the issue I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Script is below.

Gary

Var 0000, Value 0
{
&ind_le_extend = 0
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
Var 0001, name servo_flaps, Link USB_SERVOS, Output 1, PosL 0, PosC 511, PosR 1023
Var 0002, name flaps_fsuipc, Link FSUIPC_IN, Offset $0BE0, Length 4
{
L0 = &flaps_fsuipc
L0 = ABS L0
IF L0 = 0
{
&ind_le_extend = 0
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
ELSE
{
L1 = 0
&ind_le_trans = 1
IF L0 = 409
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 819
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 2047
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 4095
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 6143
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 10239
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 12287
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
IF L0 = 16383
{
L1 = 1
&ind_le_trans = 0
}
&ind_le_extend = L1
}
L2 = L0
C0 = L0 >= 0
C1 = L0 <= 409
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 0
&flaps_high_val = 409
&servo_high_val = 1008
&servo_low_val = 891 // 0 and 1
}
C0 = L0 >= 409
C1 = L0 <= 819
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 409
&flaps_high_val = 819
&servo_high_val = 891
&servo_low_val = 775 // 1 and 2
}
C0 = L0 >= 819
C1 = L0 <= 2047
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 819
&flaps_high_val = 2047
&servo_high_val = 775
&servo_low_val = 618 // 2 and 5
}
C0 = L0 >= 2047
C1 = L0 <= 4095
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 2047
&flaps_high_val = 4095
&servo_high_val = 618
&servo_low_val = 481 // 5 and 10
}
C0 = L0 >= 4095
C1 = L0 <= 6143
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 4095
&flaps_high_val = 6143
&servo_high_val = 481
&servo_low_val = 390 // 10 and 15
}
C0 = L0 >= 6143
C1 = L0 <= 10239
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 6143
&flaps_high_val = 10239
&servo_high_val = 390
&servo_low_val = 289 // 15 and 25
}
C0 = L0 >= 10239
C1 = L0 <= 12287
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 10239
&flaps_high_val = 12287
&servo_high_val = 289
&servo_low_val = 213 // 25 and 30
}
C0 = L0 >= 12287
C1 = L0 <= 16383
IF C0 AND C1
{
&flaps_low_val = 12287
&flaps_high_val = 16383
&servo_high_val = 213
&servo_low_val = 200 // 30 and 40
}
&servo_calc = &servo_low_val - &servo_high_val
&flaps_calc = &flaps_high_val - &flaps_low_val
&flaps_val = L0 - &flaps_low_val
&servo_val = &servo_calc * &flaps_val
&servo_val = &servo_val / &flaps_calc
L1 = &servo_high_val + &servo_val
&servo_flaps = L1
}
Var 0003, name servo_val
Var 0004, name flaps_calc
Var 0005, name servo_calc
Var 0006, name flaps_val
Var 0007, name flaps_low_val
Var 0008, name flaps_high_val
Var 0009, name servo_high_val
Var 0010, name servo_low_val
Var 0011, name ind_le_extend, Link IOCARD_OUT, Output 22
Var 0012, name ind_le_trans, Link IOCARD_OUT, Output 21

Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

fordgt40

When you say it does not work with FSX, do you mean that it does not move at all or moves to the wrong positions?
If the first, ie no response, have you edited your sioc.in files to tell sioc that you have this card installed.

If not, find the entry line that says

USBServos=0,46 ( 46 or whatever)
Run SIOC and make a note of the device number that appears in the top right of the sign on screen, if for example it is 32, then change the sioc.ini line as above  to

USBServos=0,32

Save the sioc.ini file and rerun sioc. I also assume that you have changed the config file line to reflect the name of your flap .ssi file

Apologies if you have already done these things - it is always best to try the simple ones first

David

bussgarfield

Hi David.

Sorry should have clarified. There is no response when operating the flaps.

sioc.ini files show
USBServos=0,57
device=2132

I have named the .ssi file as sioc.ssi which is what the manual said.

When I open the SIOC exe short cut on my desktop which I use for the radios, MCP and EFIS, the sevos card - device 57, shows and shows that it is connected.

Don't apologise as a second pair of eyes is always welcome.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

fordgt40

Gary

Another possibly stupid question - have you connected a 5v volt supply to the servo card? If so, have you tried opening the IOCPConsole within the SIOC main window and used the LOG function, or checked the values of your servo variables to see if they are changing?

David

bussgarfield

David, there is never a stupid question.

Yes I have a seperate 5v supply.

As you suggested, I opened the IOCP Console and the figures in the log kept changing to higher numbers one digit at a time. I do not know if I should have seen anything else as this is the first time I have tried this. Whilst in the IOCP, I used the test.exe programme and saw no difference. The numbers just kept increasing by one digit at a time. I got to 4000 before I decided to X out as I really didn't understand what I should have been looking at.

What puzzles me, is the variables that OC have got in their manual show lower figures (153) when the gauge is set to the up position and increase until flaps 40 is achieved. Mine are opposite (ie lower number of 200 at Flaps 40 increasing to 1008 when the flaps are in the up position).

I can find no way of reversing the servo so I can achieve similar results. Whether this may have some bearing on the problem, I don't know.

According to their flaps manual and that of the servo card (which tells you what to write in sioc.ini), it should work.

The card, servo, power supply and usb connection are fine as the gauge works when testing either using the slider or inputting known variables and pressing send when using the test.exe

Gary
Gary Buss

fordgt40

Gary

My questions were prompted by need to try to isolate the area of the problem. The variables you see changing in the IOCPConsole are your servo variables eg

Var 0003, name servo_val
Var 0004, name flaps_calc
Var 0005, name servo_calc
Var 0006, name flaps_val
Var 0007, name flaps_low_val
Var 0008, name flaps_high_val
Var 0009, name servo_high_val
Var 0010, name servo_low_val

If so then that tells us that sioc is working and we just then need to establish why the servo does not move - I am not worried at this stage about the values being opposite.

I should check that the variable  no 2 "flaps_fsuipc" changes value within the IOCPConsole when you change your fs flap settings. That will then tell us that all the info is getting to the sioc programme. I assume that the above script is the only SIOC programme running

David

bussgarfield

Thanks for the explanation David.

The good lady has just called me out for tea so I will have another look either tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers for bearing with me on this.

Gary

Gary Buss

iwik

Gary,
Im not sure what the Device number you are using as i believe for just the USBservos card
as im using my device number is 0.
I dont have any device number in my sioc.ini file with such a high number. Im not to familiar
with sioc and David has helped me so if changing it to 0 doesnt help im sure David will get you sorted. Good Luck.
For curiosity sake Hitec and Futaba servo operate opposite to each other.

Les
P.S Have a look at Var 0001 in iocp console while operating the flaps, does it change. If so then
program is working and has to be elsewhere. Maybe ini file not right.

bussgarfield

David,

No, the variables weren't changing, it was the line of increasing numbers in the log that were changing. I thought they were the ones you meant.

Var0002 does not change when operating the flaps.

iwik,

The device number 2132 is that shown when opening the test.exe programme. It is actually the same as shown in the manual.

Var0001 does not change when operating the flaps.

The servo is a Hitec HS-55 which is supplied by OC.

I have attached my sioc.ini file for you - just in case you can find an error there.

Thanks guys.
Gary
Gary Buss

fordgt40

Gary

You have two entries for USBservos!!

Delete
USBSERVOS=0,57
deviceUSB=2132

Then change the line USBservos =0,0 to USBservos=0,57

Not closely checked the rest, but try this and see if the flaps_fsuipc variable changes

David

bussgarfield

David.

Entry

USBSERVOS=0,57
deviceUSB=2132

deleted and the other now reads

USBservos=0,57

I didn't realise there was already a servo entry in the file. I take it I do not need the device number 2132 as it stipulates in the manual.

VAR0002 does not change.

I am begining to see what you mean about the changes. The MCP is shown in the IOCP Console and when I altered the speed/mach knob, I could see that things were happening. I get nothing like that when the flaps are operated.

Gary
Gary Buss

fordgt40

Gary

Are you running FSUIPC?. It might help if you listed all your pc`s and what software is running on each  :)

Off to bed soon - stayed up late last night watching the US Golf to see Rory win

I will look again at your .ini file tomorrow - it appears that your sioc prog is not linking with FS

David

bussgarfield

David,

Yes running a registered copy of FSUIPC.

I have a stand alone PC purely for FSX (which can be connected to the internet for registering software when needed).

The PC is running Vista 64 home.
Software is FSX, FSUIPC, FSXpand (networked to FSClient on a second PC for EICAS display only) and various aircraft and traffic add ons for FSX.

All other OpenCockpit devices are working - MCP, Comm, Nav, TCAS and EFIS. The CDU isn't connected just yet as I am only using the default 737 as like many others I am waiting for the release of the PMDG NGX.

Great result for Rory by the way - top man.

I too will be off to bed - just approaching mid night here.

Cheers again David.

Gary
Gary Buss

iwik

Gary,
Had a look at your .ini file. The only thing i can see is that you have the following listed:

CONFIG_FILE=ServoVSI.ssi

But you say you saved  the flap file as sioc.ssi.
The  above file should read   CONFIG_FILE=sioc.ssi
The two named files have to be the same. Something doesnt add up as SIOC should give an error like "file not found".
Please make sure in the SIOC.ini file that you are using is named the same as what appears
in CONFIG_FILE=

Hope this helps.
Les 

fordgt40

Gary

Like Les, I could see nothing wrong with your .ini file, other than the comment made  that your config file entry does not match what you said in an earlier post. I assumed that was an error, as you said you found the variable flaps_fsuipc in the variables list of the IOCPconsole. From your .ini file it says that you are using 2 mastercards connected to an expansio card, I assume this is correct. Please check that your opening SIOC window shows the following:

IOCards Module = status running
FSUIPC Module = ok followed by version and fsx or fs9
IOCP Server = Clients connected 0
IOCP Client Module # 0= Disabled
IOCP Client Module # 1= Disabled

In the black box underneath the line will show your path to the selected .ssi file which should equal the one you want
Lastly the window should show top right the device number of your card and in the log box it should say File Compiles

If anything varies from this then please say.

I have never found it necessary to use the deviceUSB=2132, however, reinstate this if you want.

I am a little unclear where all your software lies - am I right in assuming that the OC stuff is on  a different machine to the pc with FSX, if correct, are you running Widefs on the OC machine?

David

bussgarfield

Hi Les.

CONFIG_FILE=ServoVSI.ssi - is what was already in the ini file before I started but it has now been changed to CONFIG_FILE=sioc.ssi

David,

The SIOC window shows

IOCards Module = status running
FSUIPC Module = ok    version 4.600a
Simulator FSX
IOCP Server = Clients connected 0
IOCP Client Module # 0= Disabled
IOCP Client Module # 1= Disabled

The Log box shows this

Welcome to SIOC by Manuel VĂ©lez
Starting SIOC
Loading SIOC config .INI :
C:\Program Files (x86)\IOCards\SIOC\sioc.ini
Initializing IOcard Module
Loading SIOC Script :
sioc.ssi
Launch IOCPConsole
Launch IOCPConsole

Still nothing works. It appears that it is telling me to launch the IOPC console.

As to my software, when I look at the SIOC windows for the MCP, EFIS etc, the black box at the bottom tells me the roots for the devices are in my documents folder. I think the reason for this must lie in the fact that the scripts and manuals from OC were downloaded onto a stick on this computer and then copied onto the FSX machine. They obviously copied to my documents folder by default. Is this a problem and should I move them to the SIOC folder.

In relation to your software querie, I very rarely have the second computer running with FSClient as I still need to set it up so all software is on the FSX machine. I do have WideFS along with FSUIPC but WideFS is not set up either yet. I assume there must be an issue with the location of the OC software as you can't see it but apart from the flaps gauge everything else works.

Gary
Gary Buss

jackpilot

Hi Gary
What about switching for a USB Simkit flaps gauge?

:D

(just 4 fun as I know how frustrating a non working "shouldwork" item can be!!)

Jack

fordgt40

Gary

Your connection to FSX is fine from your log. However, I am now seriously wondering whether you have the right filename and in the right directory for SIOC to read!!!

If SIOC found the filename defined in the config_file =xxx then you would have the message "file compiled" or a syntax error message in the SIOC log box.

Please make absolutely certain about the correct filename that you want to use, make certain that is in the sioc.ini file. Then make certain that this file is in the same root folder as sioc and sioc.ini

Then run it, open up IOCPconsole and make certain that var 2 does have the correct variable name 

If no luck then disconnect all other OC hardware and try again

I see Jack has just woken up and is trying to get his own back for the golf - at least for his colleagues south of the border :)

David

Benja

I'm watching this thread with interest, as i have my OC flaps gauge still in the box waiting to be installed.

Hopefully i get a free ride and mine works straight away!!
:laugh:
Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

fordgt40

How do you think we all learnt :)
Its the best way to learn from the misfortunes of others and I have had my fair share - misfortunes that is

David

jackpilot

David I keep admiring your science of SIOC!! really as you always come up with a way to do it!
Ancient Chinese to me!!

Jack

Benja

Upsetting my fiancee one purchase at a time

fordgt40

Jack

Thanks but lets reserve any plaudits until we get Gary sorted :)

SIOC is a dark art and you will often need a padded cell to take refuge in

Seriously, once the greater part of it has been learnt, it is very powerful and I have all my cockpit h/w linked through it to SA, that is complete OH, MIP. Pedestal, MCP, EFIS,and CDU all working ok.

David

bussgarfield

Hi Jack.

Simkits flap gauge - nah - too simple, I like a challange - 'he' says when someone else is doing all the work.

Hi sas541 - welcome on board. Lets hope we can both learn from David.

David.
Right.
Just to make sure I have the right files in the right places - Drive 'C'/Programme Files(X86)/IOCards/SIOC. Within the SIOC folder, I have sioc.ini and sioc.ssi 

I have re-checked the sioc.ini and it states - CONFIG_FILE=sioc.ssi which as suggested earlier was changed from CONFIG_FILE=ServoVSI.ssi

The IOCPCONSOLE shows Var 2 as flaps_fsuipc

I have tried the flaps and still nothing. I have disconnected the the MCP,EFIS TCAS and radios and tried again - still nothing. I can open up the test.exe programme and manually make the servo move - that is all it will do at the moment.

Question - I take it there is no need to reboot the computer to save any changes I have done in the .ini file ?

Rory deserved the win. He was so close last time.

Gary
Gary Buss

bussgarfield

Hi all.

I am going to sit down and re-read the servo card and flaps gauge manuals just to be sure I haven't done anything that I shouldn't.

Thank goodness I have 3 screens to spread all the open windows on !!!

Just as an aside. We have another problem. The pool temperature has hit 28 degC and with no clouds in the sky it is exposed to full sun. The problem - well the water has now gone a beautiful shade of emerald green. So - if anyone here knows about pools, input welcome  >:(

Gary
Gary Buss

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate