Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:52:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
706 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 762
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 706
Total: 706

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

InterfaceIT

Started by jackpilot, June 20, 2011, 10:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Just starting to plan my interfacing using Sys3 board for the MIP
Question to those who did it:
Is it better /easier to import the XML for all functions and wire accordingly.
or wire first and assign/import each function one by one.
JP

PS:is it possible to import XML if the FS PC is not on Internet?

Jack

Flying_Fox

Why SYS3 Jack? Is it enough for MIP? I've seen FDS uses SYS4 in their Dual Seat Trainer.

I am thinking of getting SYS4 for MIP (double the I/O for extra ~$70 and use the leftovers  ;) for anything else) and SYS1 for the future overhead. Am I planning the overkill??  :idiot: :D

Nick

carlos hermida

Hi Jack,

On my first project I used this board for my MIP and what I have done was wiring all first but taking care with the commom cable from each connector, after that I had assign each function. I am using SYS1 and SYS2 on my FWD overhead and used the same logic, works great  !

jackpilot

Quote from: Flying_Fox on June 20, 2011, 11:58:53 AM
Why SYS3 Jack? Is it enough for MIP? I've seen FDS uses SYS4 in their Dual Seat Trainer.

I am thinking of getting SYS4 for MIP (double the I/O for extra ~$70 and use the leftovers  ;) for anything else) and SYS1 for the future overhead. Am I planning the overkill??  :idiot: :D

Nick

More is better than less.
But....I had this card for years, a previous model,  I checked with FDS and its all good. The sys 3 was meant for the MIP.

Jack

Joe Lavery

Hi Jack,

I used the SYS 3 for my overhead and found it easier to wire them all and then assign the various switches and LEDs. And yes it is possible to download the XML files on another computer and then transfer them to the PC that's running the InterfaceIT software.
Just copy the XMLs to a usb key or disk if you prefer and paste them into the relevant directory, it works fine.
As Carlos has mentioned it's important to plan your wiring, to take account of the connectors supplied with the board. One common for every eight switches or LEDs. Also the placement of the board is a consideration, I think I spent two evenings soldering longer wires onto the existing wires supplied with the board.  :-\

Cheers
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Nat Crea

Jack,

Dont forget If its the unpowered version of SYS cards (I have one still) ,
you have to wire the greens, red and amber on the same output on every
8 pin connector. For example, Red on output 1, 9, 17, etc. Green on 2, 10, 18 etc

BUT with the new powered SYS cards, you can wire any colour LED to ANY output.

So with your current SYS-3, Just wire it first. Assigning will take 5 minutes :)

Nat

jackpilot

Quote from: melnato on June 20, 2011, 04:17:19 PM
Jack,

Dont forget If its the unpowered version of SYS cards you have to wire the greens, red and amber on the same output on every 8 pin connector. For example, Red on output 1, 9, 17, etc. Green on 2, 10, 18 etc

Nat
Yes unpowered.
Thanks for the info.
Why's that?

Jack

Nat Crea

QuoteYes unpowered.
Thanks for the info.
Why's that?

The different colored LED's operate on  different frequencies,
so when you have two different colors on same output, the intensity (brightness)
will be cut when they are on at the same time. Not the end of the world, but you
can see the weaker color dim (eg amber) when red (for eg) is on.

I found the old SYS-3 didnt have  enough inputs for the MIP anymore, now that Sim-A models about twice the MIP switches I previously had with PM.

Hope that makes sense :)

Nat

blueskydriver

Oh, here is the other post about wiring:

Actually they're colored Blue, Green, Orange, Brown for the first set, and then Blue with white stripe, Green with white stripe, Orange with white stripe, and Brown with white stripe. If you use the color as a positive and the matching color with white stripe would be negative. Thus, four sets.

However, if you're doing led's, the FDS-SYS cards  uses jumper black wires, so that would be 7 possible leds per strand, plus number 8 for the common ground. Then you would just jump the grounds with short wires because you usually wire the leds in a set or section. For switches, you can do the same thing with jumpers, so less wires.

Don't know which way you're attaching to wires to switches, but if you want to get it done this year, don't attach wires to the screws. Instead, use 22-18 spade type, crimpable, connectors. Buy 400 for the Overhead and MIP. You will use over 200, but since they come in packages of 100, you will have extras for the Aft Overhead and Ped later.

Finally, another way to make the jumpers is use the spades of course, but also use in-line butt-slice 22-18 crimp connectors. We started with soldering approach to make extensions, but forget it! It takes way to long to do one hundred wires when you have to solder two times per wire, and then cover with heat shrink using heat gun two times.

Order the spade and in-line connectors from Ace Hardware on-line here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pk-100-Insulated-Spade-Terminal/dp/B000H5WOGQ

This is from Amazon and is the sheapest we found back then.

Here is the link for the butt-splice connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/Pk-100-Insulated-Spade-Terminal/dp/B000H5WOGQ

Also, plan to post this on the other forum post you have so Maurice might read it...just got a PM from you, and the answer is "yes it was"...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Flying_Fox

Thanks for the info!

The links in your post are identical, did you mean something like this for butt-splice?

http://www.amazon.com/GB-10-121-Electrical-22-18AWG-Terminals/dp/B00004WLHU/

Nick

jackpilot

The spade terminals are  a real time saver as the sim is not subject to airline major abuse.
I prefer the screw terminals though between the power strips and the PSU.

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate