Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 03:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
720 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 720
Total: 720

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Power supply distribution

Started by jackpilot, August 15, 2011, 10:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

This set up works for me.
For info
Just in case it can help.

Jack

Tom_G_2010

PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

blueskydriver

Jack,

Unless it's behind the panel, you should hook up a 10 Amp in line fuse holder, with a 10 Amp fuse in place for the IBL Dist. Connect it between the red wire and postive port. This was recommended by Steve Cos.

Here is the type we're using (like this, got at Walmart, as well as the fuses):

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Streak-In-Line-Fuse-Holder/dp/B004FSVF4S

Any brand name will work and get 10 Amp fuses for as many IBL Dist boards you're using.

BSD

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on August 16, 2011, 02:05:36 PM
Jack,

Unless it's behind the panel, you should hook up a 10 Amp in line fuse holder, with a 10 Amp fuse in place for the IBL Dist.

I may be totally clueless here but why do you need any extra fuse in the first place? You don't see extra fuses in the mother board in any computer since the AT power supply itself has its own fuses and current limiters, so why are they needed for IBL panels? A short in one of the panels would be taken care of by the power supply itself.

As I said, I may be totally out to lunch but I really don't think so.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Mau,

You're right, you don't need it, but may just want the extra security of knowing the in-line fuses should trip if the PSU screwed up somehow. The odds says it won't, but IMHO long shot horses win sometimes, so imagine if your PSU screwed up and blew all your IBL panels in the MIP and/or Overhead? Pretty much done...

Besides, for us it cost about $15 total to add them, and it was only 3 that needed to be put in place (3 boards). Although, if someone was not using a computer PSU and using something else (w/o internal fusing), then yes, they should be there.

However, it's your choice and here is the info Steve sent me about it last year:

BSD:
In other regards, I was looking back over the discussions about fusing the IBL panels. So, I have a few questions because I want to go back and redo this.

I'm looking at the IBL distribution boards on the FDS site and I see 10 each connections on the board, so that will power 10 each IBL panels?

Steve:
Yes, 1 plug for each IBL panel

BSD:
Does the IBL distribution board have any fusing onboard?

Steve:
No

BSD:
When fusing, are you fusing each individual IBL panel prior to the IBL distribution board or just fusing from the PSU to the IBL distribution board; thus, 1 fuse would protect the entire 10 IBL panels?

Steve:
In fact we are not using any fuses, the computer PSU's will shut down when there is a short. But as an option you can add a good quality fuse holder to each supply line to the IBL boards.

BSD:
If you're using 1 fuse per IBL panel, what fuse type are you using; please list voltage and amperage that is used per panel?
If you're using 1 fuse to protect the IBL distribution board between it and the PSU; please list the voltage and amperage that is used?

Steve:
Suggested is 10 amps

BSD:
Do you have a supplier for your fuses, if so; can you please give me their information?

Steve:
I use automotive type ATO fuses and holders ... NAPA?.

BSD:
Does FDS have IBL distribution boards in stock?

Steve:
Yes we do

Thanks Mau.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on August 16, 2011, 05:07:39 PM
Mau,

so imagine if your PSU screwed up and blew all your IBL panels in the MIP and/or Overhead? Pretty much done...

Not really. Just have to order a new set of IBL panels and it would take about an hour to replace them all & 20 hours to explain to my wife that the odds of that happening were very slim and that's why I didn't listen to you  :)

Just kidding of course. Extra safety is never a bad thing but I have to believe that on any given day, I'm not going to get hit by a meteorite, otherwise I would spend my life in an underground concrete bunker  ;D

Maurice

fordgt40

I have an ugly burnt circle in my "office" carpet which disproves some things stated above. This was caused by a direct short when jury rigging some leds off a pc power supply. No auto short protection cut in and "management" (wife) not happy >:(

Fuses protect the wiring where the downstream current carrying capacity is less than the primary supply wire. If you wire up your distribution supplies  in the same gauge wire as is connected to your ATX power header plug then ok. If you use a lesser gauge and your power supply does not trip out (like mine) then you could be facing fire damage beyond your sim.

David

phil744

Dumb question Jack whats the 3.3V line for?, or is that for switching the PSU?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Good question, just in case as the PSU wires are available.!

I used one out for my Parking brake panel backlighting, 5V was too bright, 3v is perfect.
(Resistors tend to heat with bulbs)
David:
Thanks for the warning . Will invest in a fuse.  :D

Jack

Maurice

David,

Not trying to be argumentative and a stubborn old man (really  :), but what you are saying would still happen whether there was a fuse or not. If you short something, it will spark & burn before the fuse kicks in. Why else are there so many house fires due to shorts in outlets or appliances even when the fuse panel has not been tampered with?

And if you use a lesser gauge of wire than what the current requires, the fuse or current overload protection will do absolutely nothing to protect you since the current will not be high enough to trip the fuse. The wires will get very hot and they can cause a fire whether there is a fuse or not.

Anyway, this is a moot point. Adding a fuse is no big expense and if you feel better doing it, go for it since it certainly will no hurt. But by far, a better protection than an extra fuse is to make sure the wire gauge is enough for the total maximum load plus a safety margin, and also to make sure all connections are fully secure and that there are no cold solder joints or loose connections anywhere as these could generate enough heat to burn something.

Maurice

fordgt40

Maurice

I am an old man, stubborn and sometimes argumentative  :)

Sorry, but I stand by my earlier comment. The purpose of a fuse is to open an electronic circuit when current flow exceeds a certain amount, determined by the rating of the fuse. Opening a circuit under high current conditions can save electronic components from damage and prevents overheating, which could cause a fire.

It is the selection of the correct fuse value to match the current capacity of the wire/appliance that is the secret and avoids the risks you maintain still exist, ie the fuse rating is designed to break prior to any likelhood of fire or damage

There is no comparison with domestic wiring where I believe in North America for example there are no fuses down stream of the distribution board, hence the house fires you mention. That risk is alleviated by the use of correctly rated inline fuses

Not trying to be argumentative - just factual  :)

David

jackpilot

So 10 A. per distrib board is fine ?
::)

Jack

blueskydriver

Yes Jack, a 10 Amp blade fuse per board is fine...

BSD

fordgt40

Hi Jack

The fuse should be rated at slightly higher than the current draw, and I assume that the feeder wiring is sized for that current capacity. If you have a mulitmeter you could check the current and fuse accordingly dependent on whether you are fusing all IBL boards or individual ones. If I recall my MIP draws about 3.5 amps - though could be wrong :)

If Steve Cos says 10amp for the whole distribution board then I should follow the knowledge :)

Edit "Blueskydriver beat me to it :)"

Regards

David

Maurice

Quote from: fordgt40 on August 17, 2011, 06:01:20 AM

Not trying to be argumentative - just factual  :)

David

We could go on & on here but if you read my earlier post carefully, there isn't much disagreement here. I still stand by the fact that a short anywhere will create a spark before the fuse blows. It is the high current in the spark that blows the fuse and that my friend is a real fact  :)

It's like the old saying... what came first the chicken or the egg? Or in this case, what came first ... the spark or the high current?

Maurice

fordgt40

Not wishing to be argumentative - let it rest

Regards

David

phil744

Quote from: jackpilot on August 17, 2011, 04:34:57 AM
Good question, just in case as the PSU wires are available.!

I used one out for my Parking brake panel backlighting, 5V was too bright, 3v is perfect.
(Resistors tend to heat with bulbs)

Ahh, good thinking :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Jack

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate