Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
706 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 706
Total: 706

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Matt's 757 Project [Updated 1/6/14]

Started by matta757, August 29, 2011, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetcos

Looks great Matt!  Nothing like the feel of a real throttle.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

matta757

So true Steve. It makes for an awesome flying experience.

Here's my new post from page 1 for those of you viewing so you don't need to click back to page 1....

Hi guys,

Been a while since I have actively posted, but I have been around still. Been busy working on my project since August, when I acquired a REAL 757 TQ. I had always been told by certain members (who you can probably figure out) that getting a real TQ was the only way to go, so when I came across a deal that I could only hope for in my dreams, I pounced as fast as I could.

It arrived in August in basically wretched condition, at least cosmetically, so I spent the last 3 months cleaning, stripping, disassembling, painting, rebuilding and swearing through clenched teeth but it is finally flyable. Still have some work to do on it, but at the very least I am back in the air.

Also took the opportunity to tear down the old framework which had some incorrect dimensions and rebuild it with the proper dimensions and feel really good about the progress. Still needs some cosmetic work, like paint, and some hardware upgrades (planning on getting an FDS CDU/FMC and I/O boards, just need to save up some money first).

So here's a link to my Flickr account, which has pictures of the entire process from start to finish, well, current status at least. Hope you enjoy seeing the inner bits of the TQ. It has been a BLAST working on this and see how Boeing built this thing. It's simply incredible engineering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matta757/

Matt

hexpope

Hi Matt, you did a great job ! it looks amazing so far.

May I ask, which Pot's did you use for the TQ ?

matta757

hexpope

Hi Matt, Thanks for the feedback for the Pot's. I will use those for my Mustang throttle. Now I have another question if you have the time to answer. I was looking at your flickr picture "Throttle Lever tension system" in which I would be interested to use for my TQ. I was wondering what are they parts other than the gears ?

Thanks a ton !

hexpope

Ok, I have tracked them down. This is the answer to my above question if anyone else is interested.

http://polyclutch.com/slip-clutches/clutches/mechanical-slip-clutches/slip-ease

matta757

Pat,

Beat me to it. Sorry for my delay. I actually was referred to the clutch idea by several people on this forum. They work wonderfully.

I would suggest a change from my setup though and just use 1 slip clutch for each axis. The only reason I am using 2 per axis (a total of 4) is because I couldn't find a way to attach my higher weight clutches, which are needed so the levers don't fall under their own weight, to the arm that is connected to the lever. So thus, the gear setup.

If I were to order fresh, I would simply order 2 clutches with the flat plate that has holes that would allow me to connect them directly to the wooden arm. Hope that makes sense!

Matt

hexpope

Hi Matt, thanks for letting me know that, I am wondering where I can actually buy these things. How much do they actually cost ?

QuoteI would simply order 2 clutches with the flat plate that has holes that would allow me to connect them directly to the wooden arm. Hope that makes sense!

I can't picture that in my mind. Which type are you referring to ? Thanks :)

matta757

Let me try again.

If you look at my assembly, you will see there are 2 shafts; one shaft, the upper one, has the wooden arm pieces that connect to the throttle rods. These 2 arms are attached to that shaft by 2 slip clutches. I believe the type of clutch that I have used here is called a "slipper" on the polyclutch website. These types of clutches have a plate (or multiple plates, depending on the model) and on that plate, there is 3 holes. So in my setup, this plate sits flat against the wooden arm and is connected by screws to that arm through those 3 holes. But in my case, the weight tension of the clutch on the upper shaft is only 2lbs, and that's not enough to hold the levers' weight. Thus, I have the second shaft.

The second shaft, the lower one, has a different type of clutch called a "slip ease" clutch. This clutch has a housing on the end of the clutch instead of the flat plates. This housing makes it difficult to mount something flat against the end of the clutch. Instead, these clutches work better with shaft couplers that have set screws that can connect to the end of the clutch housing. In my case, these slip ease clutches have a rating of up to 16lbs, which is enough to hold the levers' weight. So I roughly attached the gears to these clutches to add extra tension to the wooden arms, which already had a gear on them to turn the potentiometer. So that's why I used 4 clutches in my setup instead of four.

Now, if I was to do it again, I would buy 2 slipper clutches (the ones with the round, flat plate on the end of the clutch) with a tension rating of at least 10 lbs and just use those to connect to the wooden arms and the first shaft. I wouldn't need the lower shaft to provide extra tension. Hopefully that now makes sense.

The slip clutches range in price, from Polyclutch, from about $70 USD per clutch up to more than $100 USD. The price rises with the larger bores and larger diameter plates. My slip ease ones cost me $70 each.

Make sense?

Matt

hexpope

Thanks every so much Matt, that makes absolute sense, now I know exactly what you meant in your earlier post !

phil744

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Hi Matt

I used these for my TQ. (Polyclutch also) I do not remember the model number but they have many pounds of torque and behave flawlessly.
Jack

Jack

rhysb

Great project Matt, has come a long way over the years!
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate