Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 08:57:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
715 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 715
Total: 715

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Is this even possible with Nthusim or Warpalizer?

Started by Maurice, August 05, 2012, 10:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Before I invest in a new video card with 3 outputs, I want to know if what I am trying to do is even possible.

I would like to get rid of the TripleHead and use the 3 video card outputs instead of the TripleHead. But what I am wondering is how would I be able to warp the 3 video outputs separately? I currently have the Nthusim Multi-projector software but I don't think it will let me warp each side projector separately if I do not use the TripleHead.

Would I need 3 single-projector licenses instead and even then, can each projected image be warped individually. My gut feeling is that it will not work no matter what Nthusim version I use but I really have no idea.

My reason for wanting to do this is because I believe I would get slightly better frame rates since FSX could run at 1280x800 instead of 3840x800. I tried it in my current setup by changing the FSX resolution to 1280x800 and I did get an additional 3 fps with this lower resolution (and the 3 windows). The image was compressed of course to one third its size but the fps improved. So if I am able to warp the 3 projectors, I think changing the video card to one with 3 outputs might be a worthwhile option.

Anyway, I'm almost 100% sure this will not work but I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried this.

Thanks,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Sean

I seem to remember that Sol7 only works with the primary output of graphics cards. I have no idea if this has changed or whether Nthusim is different.

Maurice

Quote from: Sean Nixon on August 05, 2012, 11:36:59 AM
I seem to remember that Sol7 only works with the primary output of graphics cards. I have no idea if this has changed or whether Nthusim is different.

You are probably right Sean. The more I think about it, the more I think this is not possible. It would work with 3 flat screens and no warping since that would be the same as running 3 monitors instead of projectors but warping 3 separate projected views is not going to happen I think

I would love to be wrong though  :)

Maurice

Bob Reed

Quote from: maurice on August 05, 2012, 01:37:06 PM
Quote from: Sean Nixon on August 05, 2012, 11:36:59 AM

You are probably right Sean. The more I think about it, the more I think this is not possible. It would work with 3 flat screens and no warping since that would be the same as running 3 monitors instead of projectors but warping 3 separate projected views is not going to happen I think

I would love to be wrong though  :)

Maurice

How does this work using the Tripple Head?

Sean

If your inclined to play around a little, and assuming your existing graphics card has two outputs, why not try it with two projectors?

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 01:42:33 PM

Not sure I understand your question Bob. How does what work?

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: Sean Nixon on August 05, 2012, 01:53:11 PM
If your inclined to play around a little, and assuming your existing graphics card has two outputs, why not try it with two projectors?

I actually just thought about that as well but I am hesitant to disturb anything that works if I don't have to because every single time I did that, I give myself a lot of grief in the process.

But curiosity killed the cat, so unless someone can categorically say it will not work, I may bite the bullet & try with 2 projectors. But first, I need to have a shred of hope that this might work and right now, I have none  :)

Maurice

Bob Reed

Quote from: maurice on August 05, 2012, 02:25:48 PM
Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 01:42:33 PM

Not sure I understand your question Bob. How does what work?

Maurice

How does the Nthusim or similar software work with the THG?

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 03:00:48 PM

How does the Nthusim or similar software work with the THG?

Not exactly a simple question Bob but I'll try to explain  :). Nthusim & THG are basically independent of each other. You could use Nthusim without THG with one projector & one curved screen or you can use it with 3 projectors,THG and one curved screen. Where the THG comes in is that it allows you to have a very wide resolution such as 3840x800 spread over 3 projectors each running at 1280x800 resolution. So basically, with just the THG, you get a very wide distorted image if you project it on a curved screen. Nthusim 'warps' this distorted image so that it looks OK on the curved screen.

When you add a THG, you can see the 3840x800 resolution as one option on the FSX display settings and that is the resolution that FSX will use.

I don't know if this makes sense to you but that is the best I can do to explain  :)

Maurice

Bob Reed

So you can not control each of the 3 projectors independently with the THG?

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 05:03:44 PM

What do you mean by 'control'? The THG sees the projectors as simple monitors and does not control anything. I'm not sure what's on your mind so maybe I'm not getting the meaning of your question.

Maurice

Bob Reed

Quote from: maurice on August 05, 2012, 05:53:13 PM
Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 05:03:44 PM

What do you mean by 'control'? The THG sees the projectors as simple monitors and does not control anything. I'm not sure what's on your mind so maybe I'm not getting the meaning of your question.

Maurice

Hmmmm Does the Blending software see all 3 projectos independently or does it see the projectors as one with the THG.

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 05, 2012, 06:18:22 PM

Hmmmm Does the Blending software see all 3 projectos independently or does it see the projectors as one with the THG.

It sees one projector with a resolution of 3840x800 as far as I understand how it works. That is why I doubt I could eliminate the THG

Maurice

wledzian

If you get a card which allows you to treat multiple outputs as a single logical display, NThusim, Sol7 and Warpalizer should work just fine.  The ATI Eyefinity and the newer NVidia cards do allow you to do this, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Kennair

Considering warping software is also intended for multi channel systems with a separate monitor connected to each PC I would think this was certainly achievable.  I thinks its only the 680 series nVidia GPU's that allow this however unlike ATI who's Eyefinity series has had this option for years.  However why don't you just set the TH2GO resolution to match your projectors then set it to 1280x800 in FSX?  Wouldn't this achieve the frame rate friendly same result?

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Bob Reed

Maybe I am missing something here but all I have ever used is Nvidia and I have always been able to "stretch" across multiple monitors and the computer sees it as one, very wide monitor.

Joe Lavery

I have an ATI Radeon 6950 which can address up to six monitors at the same time. I use it with three monitors and the computer "sees" it as one monitor with an enormous resolution. This is using Eyefinity.

The nice thing about Eyefinity as against a TH2GO is that you can map out the monitor bezels. So when you bank left or right the images line up perfectly, no saw tooth effect.

Joe.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Maurice

Quote from: wledzian on August 05, 2012, 08:54:29 PM
If you get a card which allows you to treat multiple outputs as a single logical display, NThusim, Sol7 and Warpalizer should work just fine.  The ATI Eyefinity and the newer NVidia cards do allow you to do this, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Wayne,
This sounds promising but treating multiple outputs  as a single logical display is exactly what the THG does now. So this would not allow me to run FSX at 1280x800. FSX would need to run at 3840x800 to match the resolution of the logical display. This eliminates the THG but does nothing for the frame rate since nothing has really changed except for the specs of the video card.

Thanks anyway Wayne. I may still get a new card with better specs than my current GPU and get rid of the THG as well since using 3 outputs would work.

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: Kennair on August 06, 2012, 12:12:20 AM
Considering warping software is also intended for multi channel systems with a separate monitor connected to each PC I would think this was certainly achievable.  I thinks its only the 680 series nVidia GPU's that allow this however unlike ATI who's Eyefinity series has had this option for years.  However why don't you just set the TH2GO resolution to match your projectors then set it to 1280x800 in FSX?  Wouldn't this achieve the frame rate friendly same result?

Ken.

Ken,
Multi channel systems with separate PCs work because each pc has its own copy of the warping software . A single computer running one instance of the warping software is not the same.

And the THG is already set for 3 1280x800 projectors. If I change the FSX resolution to match that, then I end up with one third of the screen size. So unless I misunderstood what you meant, this is not possible

Thanks,
Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 06, 2012, 03:50:16 AM
Maybe I am missing something here but all I have ever used is Nvidia and I have always been able to "stretch" across multiple monitors and the computer sees it as one, very wide monitor.

Bob and Joe,

This is not what I need. The whole point is that I don't want a single output stretched over 3 monitors. Read my earlier answer to Wayne.

Thanks,
Maurice

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice,

So, basically you want one card with 3 outputs (4 if you want to adjust things via a smaller monitor), and then use Nthusim or Warpalizer to make the corrections for your curved screen using the 3 outputs?

I believe this is the same thing as Nvidia Surround correction that comes with certain models of cards. Surround works like Nthusim and Warpalizer in certain ways. The question is, will it have to or can it even correct for FSX and use 3 windows or just one big full screen?

I watched youtube videos about this subject earlier this morning and from what I can see, in one full screen it distorts the outer edges and sides, as well as the true curve is not there like when using 4 windows (1 background and 3 across) like you're doing now. The next question would be, could you use the same 3 or 4 output card, and then use Nthusim to correct 3 window views. In other words, you're replacing the card over the TH2Go. From some of the youtube videos relating to this, it seems that this true, but I would send Andy from Nthusim an email to clarify...

Finally, if I am off the mark here, please explain further.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Hi John,

I may be losing my ability to communicate since nobody fully understands what I would like to do. So let me start again in a different way and hopefully my intent will be clearer this time.

Right now, as you said, I have one curved screen with 4 views on the same screen; one hidden backgound view running full screen and 3 undocked views positioned over the wide screen. The projectors are each running at 1280x800 each and THG creates a virtual desktop at a resolution of 3840x800. FSX needs to run at 3840x800 in order to see the 3840x800 image. If I change FSX to 1280x800, I see the 3 views compressed into one third the size of my screen.

So, Nthusim is warping an image of 3840x800 and all is well.

So now, let's say I originally had a 3 output video card but I had started with one projector only on one curved surface. I would be running FSX at 1280x800 (or other resolution) and Nthusim would be warping one smaller screen (one third the size of my current screen). No need for THG here.

But now, I decided to add 2 more projectors & 2 more curved screens not attached to the first screen (I know that does not make sense but just bear with me). So, in Windows 7, I can now see 2 additional monitors and I do not make them as part of one stretched virtual desktop. In other words, each monitor stands on its own like the way you would use them to position different applications on each separate monitor.

In FSX, I create a full screen background view and an undocked center view  with a smaller zoom factor like what I have to do now. The full screen view is an FSX requirement as you know. Both of these views are still running on the center projector and center separate screen and the FSX resolution is 1280x800 (or other resolution)

I now create 2 additional external side views in FSX (with the proper zoom factor) and I drag them to the side projectors and the separate side screens. The resolution is still the same at 1280x800 (or whatever FSX was) but the side views are distorted since they are projected on a curved screen.

And here is the relevant question: Would there be any way to warp the side views so that they look ok on the separate curved screens? Nthusim is already warping the center screen so I would either need 2 more instances of Nthusim or some other way to do this. Currently Nthusim only warps the primary display only as far as I know and I don't think you can add 2 more copies to warp additional displays (I could be wrong of course and I should really be asking this question on the Nthusim forum ..Duhhhh!!! )

I hope this fully explains what I am trying to do because if it doesn't, then I am out of words to explain further :)

Maurice

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice,

Okay, I understand and there are ways of doing this. As for Nthusim, I don't know because you're describing a Windows method over the TH2GO. There shouldn't be any difference for the output for Nthusim, but that is where they could answer the question.

With cards that have multi outputs you're using the Windows OS to setup the outputs and then using a warping program to adjust them indivdually. Here, look at this company for an example and their program called Anyblend:

http://www.vioso.com/

Now, Anyblend is software based (even though Vioso does do things in a hardware based fashion as well), and it allows adjustments for curved screens after the alignments. All this is a Windows base using multihead output cards. So, that means you setup alignments, setup the displays in Windows, but not one big desktop display, and you Warp afterwards; thus, whatever you display will be corrected.

If Nthusim or Warpalizer does the same as this example from Vioso and Anydisplay, you're in business.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Well John, it did sound good until I read a bit more about it. If you look at the system requirements, you will see a THG is still needed:

"For a projector: any DirectX compatible graphics card For two projectors: any DirectX compatible dual-head graphics card (eg NVIDIA / ATI, Matrox DualHead2Go) For 3 projectors: any DirectX compatible graphics hardware solution with 3 outputs (eg several NVIDIA cards, ATI Radeon 6000 series, Matrox TripleHead2Go)"

So basically, I'm still out of luck and besides, the software is rather too pricey for my blood  :)

Anyway, thanks for trying to find a solution.

Maurice

Sean

Quote from: maurice on August 06, 2012, 08:49:29 AM"For a projector: any DirectX compatible graphics card For two projectors: any DirectX compatible dual-head graphics card (eg NVIDIA / ATI, Matrox DualHead2Go) For 3 projectors: any DirectX compatible graphics hardware solution with 3 outputs (eg several NVIDIA cards, ATI Radeon 6000 series, Matrox TripleHead2Go)"

I've not been to the website, but I read this as either an Nvidia card with 3 outputs OR an ATI card with 3 outputs OR a TH2G. Remember, the TH2G only needs a card with 1 output.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate