Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
716 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 714
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 716
Total: 716

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Simple Projection Screen for Curved and Flat Screens.

Started by blueskydriver, August 10, 2012, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hi Nic,

Nope, this material is for front projection only. If you can go this way, you will not regret getting this screen. I've had mine and Sean got his, and we both will tell you that this is better then painting for sure. For me, I tried white panel sheets and white paint, but both have nothing on this screen.

Additionally, the time spent building a curved screen from wood or whatever board type material could be better spent on something else. All you have to do is build a curve from PVC tubing, attach the screen material from Carl's Place and you're done!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

John,

How did you build the curved PVC frame.  Do you have pictures of that?

Scott

blueskydriver

Hey Scott,

Here is the link with the post that shows how I did it:

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=2221.0

The PVC tubing is attached to what used to be the curved panel screens, you can see it in behind the PVC tubing.

I used the EMT metal type holders for the PVC tubing (seen in the photos). Mine might be overdone of course, but as long as you can attach the PVC tubing and make the curve, you'll be good to go.

Sean did it without a previous panel screen behind his; he just put up wood 2x4's (I think it was) for the structure behind the PVC. In any case, I think the curve should be easy or easier to make, and then just attach the screen.

I know this much, I am 100% happy with the screen and to do it over again, I would've chose the screen material for sure... I highly recommend doing this...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

nicd

Thanks John. Yeah, hey, I'm sold on this already :)  If we go front projection again this is what we'll do.  Back projection is just a maybe at this stage.

Last time we used 3 walls and used the magic projection paint mix etc etc.. and didn't get the benefits it was supposed to bring. It's funny now how the whole industry seems to be going away from grey/silver/bead paint surfaces and back to whites and even blacks for screens. Mind you, with 3000+ lumens things are easier these days.

edit:  one more question.. we're probably not going curved but using 5 flat panel screens at angles around the simpit - but with continuous screen material (no joins). Do you see any issue at the corners with the stretch and bungee cord attach method?

blueskydriver

Believe it or not, I actually have 3 full size back projection screens for another project and looking at those screens, which are grey, I would still prefer front projection and white.

You're exactly right about white screens with the use of higher output projectors. I imagine they'll only get brighter in the future... A while back I remember Maurice and I talking about the screen door effect we saw, but after updating to this white screen the screen door effect was less noticeable. It's still there, but no where what it was. I wonder how that will be with much brighter projectors? Anyway, I am very happy I went this way...

Finally, I think this screen could work in a 3 flat screen mode; however, I think you would have to make sure the bends were no more then 45 degrees. As long as you have the framing right I cannot see how there would be any issues. Although, don't hold me to that, as we all know that there is a lot of experimentation that needs to be done yet, so you would be front runner if you do this.

Have you contacted Carl yet? I would say too you or anyone else that you should call or email him and explain your plan. He will give you good advice for sure, but be patient because even though he makes the screens pretty quick, he will spend more time discussing it with you too make sure it is right the first time, before you get it.

Oh yeah, Sean and I did mention the great pricing right?

John

nicd

Thanks again John, appreciate the advice. Totally understand there's no gaurantees with this.. we all add in our bits of experience then it's each builder for themselves. That's what makes this online community so useful.

The inner angle screen to screen is 135 degrees - which is square + 45 so should be ok (5 screens total).

I shot Carl an email today to start the conversation..

blueskydriver

Bringing up this thread since questions are arising about it and that I purchased a second screen, last week, of 9x16' for less than $200. It's going to be used as a green screen... I highly recommend screens from Carl's Place. If you order from him, mention Sean or myself to Carl and it'll get him in the frame of mind of flight simulation, which will help him understand what you're trying to do.

John

BimmerCop

Hey guys, just to gives you a heads up, I am selling my 6.5' x 22.5' screen that I had purchased from Carl's Place. It includes all bungees and it's in mind condition. I listed in the Classifieds Section, in case you are interested. With this screen, you can setup a 225 degree view with a radius of 5.5'.

blueskydriver

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate