Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 04:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
706 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 706
Total: 706

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Question for Mike L. about climb rate

Started by Maurice, January 03, 2013, 06:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Hi Mike,

In a normal climb to cruise altitude, can you tell me the approximate vertical speed when you are at about 15,000 ft altitude? I realize there are many, many variables so all I would like to know is just a ball park figure give or take 500fps so that I can compare it to what I am getting here.

Thanks,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Nat Crea

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on January 03, 2013, 10:43:45 PM
Less than 500 fp/second!
Sorry :)

Nat

Seconds...minutes...what's the difference?  ;D

Maurice

fordgt40

Quote from: Maurice on January 04, 2013, 05:03:27 AM

Seconds...minutes...what's the difference?  ;D

Maurice

A lot, if you are descending  :(

sagrada737

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

Quote from: sagrada737 on January 04, 2013, 07:00:39 AM
Mountains :-)

Not a problem with mountains. If you disable crash detection, you go right through any moutains that are on the way.  ;D

All joking aside, there is a serious side to my question. I have a feeling that the default 737-800 is able to climb much too fast so I would like to know what would be a 'normal' rate of climb with a 'normal' passenger & fuel load for a short flight (1-2 hours) once you pass the 10,000' height.

There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg named "thrust_scalar=1.000" and I think some people have changed this to 0.95 instead of 1 but I don't want to do this unless I'm sure the default 800 does climb much faster than normal. So I need an input from a real 737 pilot, thus the post being addressed to Mike L.  who is probably flying right now. Lucky dog! :)

Maurice

MLeavy737

Quote from: Maurice on January 03, 2013, 06:04:23 PM
Hi Mike,

In a normal climb to cruise altitude, can you tell me the approximate vertical speed when you are at about 15,000 ft altitude? I realize there are many, many variables so all I would like to know is just a ball park figure give or take 500fps so that I can compare it to what I am getting here.

Thanks,
Maurice

Maurice,
  Your right i am flying today but ill be in a 700 so that wont help.  I do take an 800 back from Boston on the 6th so ill pay attention at 15000 or so and ill give you the weight at that time.   Your also right about the many variables however its really only about temp and weight of airplane so it shouldnt be too hard to nail down in FS i wouldnt think.   

If i were you i would just use Xplane with x737 lol :) Now that my controls are hooked up and rigged  i believe its  by far the most realistic experience you can get out of a sim and ive been very happy with it. 

Just saying :)

Mike L

The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Maurice

Quote from: MLeavy737 link=topic=3040.msg23471#msg23471

If i were you i would just use Xplane with x737 lol :) Now that my controls are hooked up and rigged  i believe its  by far the most realistic experience you can get out of a sim and ive been very happy with it. 

Just saying :)

Mike L

No can do Mike unless I go back to a single front view as I am not spending more money to get 2 more high end PCs. For me, a realistic flying experience is not that important since I am not type rated on a 737 and the default 737-800 airplane is realistic enough for me since I do not know any better. For you it's a different story of course.  ;)

Having said that, I would prefer if the default plane was not able to climb like an F-14 if possible  :)

Thanks & looking forward to read what you find out.

Maurice

MLeavy737

I hear ya Maurice, mostly kidding as i know all this Xplane stuff has been discussed at length in other posts.

Oh and sometimes it does seem to climb like an F-14! Lol. 4-5000 fpm plus! Like i said, all depends on weight and temp. 

Ill let ya know what i get, will help me too :)

Mike L

MLeavy737

Maurice,
  Ok heres your data.  Turned out i had an airplane swap so they had us in an 800 instead of the 700.  Anyhow, heres some data departing Denver a few hours ago. 

Weight - 149.5k
Alt.      - 15k feet
Temp   - -06c SAT
Speed  - 320kts
N1       - 95.7%
Climb rate - 2300 - 2700fpm.

Slight climb rate variations because it was a VNAV climb and the airplane holds a constand N1 and speed so the climb rate tends to vary slightly. 

My guess is when you attempt to change  one thing in FS youll mess up something else :) hopefull this helps anyhow! Good luck, let me know how it works out.

Mike L

Maurice

That's very useful Mike. I'll try the same scenario as soon as I get a chance and I'll post my results.

Thanks a bunch,

Maurice

Nat Crea

Maurice

Hi Mike,

As I suspected, the default 737-800 is equipped with auxiliary rockets in the back  :). I tried the same scenario as you from Denver to San Diego and here are my results with same GW and slightly warmer temperature and also on VNAV climb:

At 15,000' ~3,600 fpm
At 20,000' ~3,100 fpm
At 25,000' ~ 2150 fpm
At 30,000' ~ 1300 fpm

And just after landing in San Diego, I lost all video and the PC froze as well. One of these days...one of these days POW!!! right in the kisser of that damn FSX PC. Who knows what's wrong with it now after replacing one SSD drive, 1 CPU, 2 motherboards and one video card? This damn thing is cursed & I should really put it out of its misery forever.  >:(

Maurice

Sam Llorca

About the computers,welcome to the club Maurice!

Maurice

Quote from: Sam Llorca on January 07, 2013, 03:46:16 AM
About the computers,welcome to the club Maurice!

What are you talking about? I am the President of that club. I will gladly resign if you want to take over.  :)

Maurice

sagrada737

Hey Maurice...  The Jacki Gleason in you seems to suffer from post traumatic-computer-syndrome...

Take two sim flights and call us in the morning :-)

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

Quote from: sagrada737 on January 07, 2013, 07:10:54 AM
Hey Maurice...  The Jacki Gleason in you seems to suffer from post traumatic-computer-syndrome...

Take two sim flights and call us in the morning :-)

Mike

That's what I am trying to do & tell that to my FSX PC  :) .  I'd rather be watching "The Honeymooners" though  ;D

Maurice

Kennair

Quote from: Maurice on January 06, 2013, 05:23:37 PM
And just after landing in San Diego, I lost all video and the PC froze as well. One of these days...one of these days POW!!! right in the kisser of that damn FSX PC. Who knows what's wrong with it now after replacing one SSD drive, 1 CPU, 2 motherboards and one video card? This damn thing is cursed & I should really put it out of its misery forever.  >:(

That just leaves the power supply Maurice.  Go on, just one more wafer thin component :)

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Maurice

Quote from: Kennair on January 08, 2013, 08:13:54 AM

That just leaves the power supply Maurice.  Go on, just one more wafer thin component :)

Ken.

Yep, a wafer thing 1200W supply  :). I really wish it was as simple as that but all was working again yesterday and no more 'glitches'.

But I confess that this may have been the result of my experimenting with different programs as I discovered it was fun adding objects to airports with Airport Design Editor (no thanks to John for that  :) . I do think my FSX PC is due for a major software re-build to clean up a lot of junk I have added in the last 2 years and being a Microsoft product, a clean re-install of everything is always a good idea from time to time.

But I won't do this until after my next crash or maybe the one after that  :)

Maurice

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice,

Lol, you said fix your Airport, not redesign it or go crazy; although, I would do the same thing as you...being the tinkering type you know.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

rhysb

Quote from: Maurice on January 04, 2013, 07:25:25 AM
Quote from: sagrada737 on January 04, 2013, 07:00:39 AM
Mountains :-)

Not a problem with mountains. If you disable crash detection, you go right through any moutains that are on the way.  ;D

All joking aside, there is a serious side to my question. I have a feeling that the default 737-800 is able to climb much too fast so I would like to know what would be a 'normal' rate of climb with a 'normal' passenger & fuel load for a short flight (1-2 hours) once you pass the 10,000' height.

There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg named "thrust_scalar=1.000" and I think some people have changed this to 0.95 instead of 1 but I don't want to do this unless I'm sure the default 800 does climb much faster than normal. So I need an input from a real 737 pilot, thus the post being addressed to Mike L.  who is probably flying right now. Lucky dog! :)

Maurice

Maurice, why don't you use the Revolution Jetstream 737 model? That's the default 737 with all the flight dynamics tweaked to perfection on the 737-800. They have even removed the VC etc? I have used it and its bang on!
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Maurice

Quote from: rhysb on January 10, 2013, 01:49:40 PM

Maurice, why don't you use the Revolution Jetstream 737 model? That's the default 737 with all the flight dynamics tweaked to perfection on the 737-800. They have even removed the VC etc? I have used it and its bang on!

Never heard of it and would like to try it but I wonder if it is compatible with SimAvionics. I guess I'll take a chance anyway based on your seal of approval. :)

Thanks,
Maurice

Garys

Just read through the PDF. Sounds like a great product, Not compatible with any program other than prosim737.

Gary

Maurice

Quote from: Garys on January 10, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
Just read through the PDF. Sounds like a great product, Not compatible with any program other than prosim737.

Gary

I just read that too but I wonder if they are saying that because they want to sell Prosim as well. It just sounds like too much denial on their part by saying that trying it is futile. I think most of their changes would have been done in the air file and aircraft.cfg file, so why would it not work with PM or SimA as well? I wonder if it's not worth a try anyway.

Maurice

Sam Llorca

Mau Let me know if it is compatible with Sim-A  because I seriously need a better flying model too.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate