Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:00:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
736 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 745
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 736

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

It's time for my triple projectors setup....

Started by Nick1150, February 17, 2013, 09:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick1150

Hi to all,

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the great support and usefull advices given to me all these years. I must admit that without the help of many people in the group, my home cockpit wouldn't look like it looks today.

Secondly I would like to apologize for posting a thread with a subject that have been discussed many times in the past, but I beleive that, as with all electronic equipment out there, projectors specs and attributes change from week to week so I would like to go to the best possible and up to date solution.

So, as you see in the pictures below, I have built and installed a three rail independent projector system above my shell, which can move its projector back, forth, left, right, up, down and swivel 360 degrees. My main issue is that my roof is pitched so I had to discover the way to fix this problem. This means that when the times comes and the projectors are in place I can make any micro-movements to it's projector and hopefully have a good result at the end of the day. Just for your info the rails come from IKEA curtain rails sold everywhere in the world.

The pics...

So given that I can adjust the throwing distance from 0.5 meters to 2.0 meters which is the best projector solution you advise me to go to ?

I am thinking of course to go to the usual route of curved screen possibly by plasterboards or fabric with bangees as many have followed here, so any advice will be highly appreciated...

Thank you in advance,

Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

Flying_Fox

Hi Nick,

Since I've seen your sim alive,  ;) if you give me exact dimensions of the sim room part where it stands I could calculate the projector solution for you.  :angel:

Nick

sluyt050

I use the BenQ MW851UST Ultra Short Throw projectors (1280 x 800 p) in a 210 deg. FOV flat screen setup (see pictures).
I find the immersion as good as with a curved screen. I still use warping software (Fly Elise Immersive Display Lite 2) for minor corrections. The advantage of flat screens is no loss of image quality caused by warping (mainly vertical). You would not need warping software at all due to your magnificent mechanical adjustment devices.
Edward

Maurice

Quote from: sluyt050 on February 21, 2013, 02:41:22 AM
I use the BenQ MW851UST Ultra Short Throw projectors (1280 x 800 p) in a 210 deg. FOV flat screen setup (see pictures).
I find the immersion as good as with a curved screen. I still use warping software (Fly Elise Immersive Display Lite 2) for minor corrections. The advantage of flat screens is no loss of image quality caused by warping (mainly vertical). You would not need warping software at all due to your magnificent mechanical adjustment devices.

Well, you have definitely proved what many of us suspected, namely that a flat screen setup beats a curved screen quality wise. Easier to build and better image quality...who would choose a curved screen now after seeing this? Well done Edward!

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

Are you bouncing each projector to it's screen instead of "shooting" across to the screen?

sluyt050

If I understand you well, it is direct bouncing to the screen. As you can see from the picture the projectors are quite close to the screen and well mutually spaced. That's the advantage of ultra short throw. I am certain that if I ever place a 737 cockpit shell there will be no shadow problems. Only replacing a bulb.!!!......I am looking for a batman suit....
Edward

sluyt050

Quote from: Maurice on February 21, 2013, 03:29:48 AM

Well, you have definitely proved what many of us suspected, namely that a flat screen setup beats a curved screen quality wise. Easier to build and better image quality...who would choose a curved screen now after seeing this? Well done Edward!

Maurice

To be honest Maurice, there is probably a slight negative remark to be made with respect to flat screens. With a clear bright sky for instance, I think there are more specular reflections concentrated at the 2 corners and mainly on the side screens, that are experienced as a white haze or over exposure effect of the darker areas of the image. With a curved screen I think this effect is also there but not concentrated at one place. Anyway, for me it is not a big item.
Edward

sagrada737

Hello Edward,

Congratulations on your new "flat screen setup".  The image quality looks great!

In reviewing your Layout Sketch, I noticed a Radius of 160 inches.  Is that correct?  That would put the screen diameter at around 26 feet.  Perhaps you meant a Radius of 80 inches.

Could you clarify these dimensions?  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

sluyt050

Thanks Mike,

In my drawing you see R=169 cm. So this is 169/2.54=~66". So this gives a screen diameter of 66*2/12=11 feet.
My real setup is a little bit smaller and comes down to ~87" screens (=^10.7 feet screen diameter).
Edward

Nick1150

Thank you all for the info,

Actually I was thinking of 3 screens instead of a curved one, but to be honest I am not in the stage to decide right now. Simple things first... I am trying to decide about my 3 projectors first.

Nick thanks for the support, I will measure my room and come back

Sluyt I admire your setup, and maybe I will follow your route. I am using an ultimate short through projector too for 2 years now and I know the advantages, but there is one disadvantage on them in case there is not enough height in the room, since the space gained iwidth is lost in height, so you endup having the screen too low in the floor. Thats why I need a short throw solution instead of ultra or ultimate short throw system.

Nick

brianwilliamson

This has got me interested in staying with the 3 flat screens that I have been using for some years now. I have always decided that the answer was curved screens...But....My set up is 3 x 8 foot wide movable screens. But due to having long throw projectors I had to move the cockpit back too far, so that the angles for 220 degrees view were out of kilt, so figured with the 3 new short throw projectors I have, but not as yet used, that I would opt for curved screens.
But it maybe easier to go with new flat movable screens, for ease of construction and being able to move the 2 outer ones to give access to more space when needed.
All worth thinking about. Will do some testing on the idea.

Regards...............Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.

HarryZ

Nick,

Nice set-up to easily adjust the projectors.  I'm hoping that the tracks are attached to a ceiling that isn't a floor above that someone can walk on. 

Curved screens vs flat screens have been a topic of debate for quite some time.  With the proper warping software on a curved screen, you will get a seemless image that will look more realistic than 3 flat screens.  Of course that set-up takes more work to get it right.  Pros and cons to both.

As for sharpness....I just downloaded the latest Nvidia 314 drivers which has allowed my 3 BenQ MW 814 ST projectors to display a 5760 (1920x3) x 1080 resolution display on my curved screen. I didn't think those projectors (native 1280x800) had the capability of going that high.  The image is the sharpest I've ever seen in my sim.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Nick1150

Thanks again guys,

No the ceiling is the the ceiling of the top floor of my house and that's why it is pitched. The room that my sim is situated is the loft of the house, so there is no issue in this.

I was thinking Benq MW814ST and also MW817ST too. Honestly I dont see any difference between them...

Nick

blueskydriver

Hi Nick,

Nice...real nice...now a mental note for Nick's overworked brain. Put a fan somewhere up there to blow the heat down and away. All the heat of your sim, your booty and your projectors will have no where too go otherwise. That means shortened life span for your bulbs and projectors...

Trust my brain sending your brain that message, as well as that I've been there done that and got the "Nude Sim Flying Only-due to overheating" T-shirt...lol.  :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Nat Crea

Well done Edward. You've stuck to your guns. Looks great!

With no disrespect to Edward, but Mau are you serious?

QuoteWell, you have definitely proved what many of us suspected, namely that a flat screen setup beats a curved screen quality wise. Easier to build and better image quality...who would choose a curved screen now after seeing this? Well done Edward!

Maurice

How is the image quality any worse on a curved screen? When I looks at your pictures and videos, they look just as good...confused.

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on February 22, 2013, 02:36:52 AM

How is the image quality any worse on a curved screen? When I looks at your pictures and videos, they look just as good...confused.

Nat

Pictures & videos can be quite deceiving Nat. All I know is that if I kill the warping even on my curved screen, the objects look sharper than when they are warped. It probably would not be as obvious in pictures but I can see a distinct difference/improvement even with my aging eyes :)

You can't possibly be thinking that warping has no effect on image quality, can you?

Maurice

Nick1150

As stated I am between Benq MW814ST and 817ST, I will have to choose in my local shop on the spot for that, because the difference is too small between them, but I am thinking out loud here, and the solution of 3 flat screen is passing my mind, because mainly of simpicity....
Can you please record a short video in action to see the result ? I am aminly concerned at the two corners that are created...

This would be highly appreciated,

Thanks

Nick

fsaviator

Nick,

As you haven't made the jump, go with the flat screens first.
Use three sheets of any thin and bendable material (like the peg board material, not sure what it is called), make sure it has a texture so it is paintable (not smooth like a dry erase board)
Build a simple framework stand and test it out.  See how you like the three flat screens.  You can then bend it all into a curve and test it that way too.

Once you've got something to compare with, you can refine the current setup by cutting to size and painting, or drop the cash for real screens.

I built mine in the garage first, and laid the projectors on the floor.  Then I made all the adjustments and and built the framework for my screens.  Once I had it as perfect as I could get it, I moved it all into my sim room and mounted the projectors on the ceiling.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Nat Crea

QuoteYou can't possibly be thinking that warping has no effect on image quality, can you?

Hey Mau,

I did the test and saw a slightly sharper image.
But...it actually looked worse as far as "jaggies" were concerned.
Sol7(WARP) actually gives me nice "anti-aliasing" when running.
I guess everyones system is different.

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: HarryZ on February 21, 2013, 06:46:08 PM

As for sharpness....I just downloaded the latest Nvidia 314 drivers which has allowed my 3 BenQ MW 814 ST projectors to display a 5760 (1920x3) x 1080 resolution display on my curved screen. I didn't think those projectors (native 1280x800) had the capability of going that high.  The image is the sharpest I've ever seen in my sim.

Harry

I'll have to try that again although I thought the image was worse the first time I tried but what was the effect on frame rates with such a high resolution? I doubt there is a free lunch fps wise with FSX:)

Maurice

HarryZ

QuoteI'll have to try that again although I thought the image was worse the first time I tried but what was the effect on frame rates with such a high resolution? I doubt there is a free lunch fps wise with FSX:)

Maurice

The effect on FPS was not as much as I thought might happen.  I've got my max FPS set to 30. I was getting the max most of the time while in front of the terminal buildings (depending on scenery being used) but at some airports it would drop to 25 or so.  With the new higher res, at CYYZ (Blueprint Scenery) I'm now getting about 24 which is quite acceptable. When I taxi away from the terminal, it jumps back up to the 30 max most of the time.

Here are a few pics I took last night.  It was raining in some of them..thus the white streaks of rain.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Maurice

Looks pretty good Harry. I'll have to try the higher resolution again.

Thanks,
Maurice

Joe Lavery

Harry,

Not wishing to hijack this thread but what sky software are you using...

Regards
Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Maurice

Harry,
I tried again the higher resolutions in my setup and the image definitely looks worse to me. Probably my older projectors are not as good as yours.

Nick,

These projectors mounts seem like very fancy & expensive ones. What brand are they or are they the ones made to fit a particular brand of projectors?

Thanks,

Maurice

HarryZ

Quote from: Joe Lavery on February 24, 2013, 12:13:20 AM
Harry,

Not wishing to hijack this thread but what sky software are you using...

Regards
Joe

I'm using Warpalizer by Univisual Technologies.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate