Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:43:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
728 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 745
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 728
Total: 728

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Simworld CAN Gauges review ** Pic Heavy**!

Started by mickc, April 15, 2014, 10:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickc

At the request of a few guys, I promised to review Simworld's new CAN gauges once i received them, so here we go !

**  NOTE: I am not affiliated with or paid/sponsored by Simworld, this is an independent review of my purchase for the benefit of others on the forum.

So I ordered the full overhead set, plus the Oxy, Flaps and Brake pressure gauges, and the Simbox CAN controller.
Filip from Simworld also included the wiring kit and a CAN dimmer as part of the package, as I was one of the first to buy the gauges.

I had about a 4 week lead time, but I also ordered other hardware at the same time, so lead times may vary.

Shipped though UPS, 5 days to ship from Poland to Australia which is pretty quick. (takes me 3 days to get mail from Sydney!!)

Everything was superbly packed, each gauge was individually boxed and bubble wrapped, then the whole box was also double bubble wrapped.

First out of the box, the Cabin Pressurization Gauge.  Quality is magnificent on all these gauges, even replica screws moulded into the bezels.

The circuit boards are custom made for Simworld, not copies of another brand.  There are options for running the gauges as CAN gauges or PWM, so than be controlled with existing servo controllers.  There appears to be places on the board for USB connectors and IBL  power, so that could be a future option.
A simple round power connector, green CAN bus connector and 2 PWM connectors.  The red connector seems to be a diagnostic/testing plug.

All the gauges have this same layout, and there are surface mount LEDs for power, faults and CAN activity.

Brake Pressure Gauge,  note that the faces of all these gauges are not printed like the others on the market. They are actually laser engraved, so the lettering is crystal clear and bright white in the daytime, and when backlit you get no light bleed through the black background, just the markings illuminate as well as the back of the needles.

You can see the surface mount LEDs used for backlighting on the inner circuit board.

Flaps Gauge (Dual needle)  Both needles are independent and are the same stacked height as the real gauges.  As usual build quality is awesome.

NOTE:  I have a Simworld MIP and Overheads, and these gauges slot right in, all the holes line up, even the screws are painted ans the right type!.  This may be different depending on your MIP/Ohead manufacturer.

(I find Simworld's measurements to pretty much identical to real world sizes.)

Fuel Temp and Oxygen Pressure, another example of Simworld's detail - the fonts on these gauges are different, just as the real aircraft.

APU EGT,  note that the gauges being shipped have the correct blue font for the "x100 Degrees" legend, where the ones the the promo shots and video do not

Duct pressure, even comes with the extended faceplate to mount it correctly :)

Cabin climb, correctly shaped as per the real unit.

Outflow Valve.  Note that this is not a true standalone CAN gauge, as its size prohibits the hardware needed. it is operated by a servo, which connects to the PWM out port of the Cabin climb gauge, and is also configured and calibrated automatically.

This is the CAN Dimmer module.  It is designed to fit around the hole for the flood light in the Fwd overhead.  This also connects to the CAN bus and controls the backlighting for all the gauges on the bus automatically.   
There are connections for Pot _In and Pot_Out, and the neat feature about this is that if you have backlighting through a pot installed already, you connect that pot the Pot_in port and then run the wires on to your existing dimmer and they will both work off the one pot! 
This allows you to control the backlighting of your panels and gauges with the one knob.

Simbox CAN Controller. Encased in a strong aluminium housing.  It would be nice to have some sort of mounting holes to attach it solidly, but it can still be easily attached using other methods,

Simple connection,  one end has a USB port (the 2 holes either side are for the status LED and the reset button)

The other end has a simple 2-pin CAN connector.

The setup needed to run the Simbox with Prosim is as easy as ticking the box for Simworld Hardware support, and plugging into a USB port.
That's it!. No drivers needed, no software to install,  no config needed, no calibration needed.  It is quite literally plug and play.

The Cable kit has 10 metres of power cable, and CAN cable. All high grade cables, and quite thick.  Each gauge can draw up to 0.3A with the backlight at maximum, so with 8 gauges in the chain you need good cable.

The basic idea of the cables are that you have a power line, and a separate CAN line.  (Both twin core cables)
One end of the CAN line plugs into the Simbox, then runs to your first gauge thought to the last gauge. At the end of the CAN line there is a small plug with a terminator plugged in to signal the end of the bus. At each gauge position, you attach a pre-made branch tee with an  E-clamp with a 6' length of line.

The same is done for the power line, with one end connecting to a 5v power supply.

The branch tees are pre-wired with connectors

CAN Branches

Power branches

These branches are connected with E-clamps, which allow you to "Tee" into a cable without cutting it or soldering it.  You simply open the end of the tee, and place the wire inside it, then close it and squeeze together with pliers.  This cuts lightly into the insulation and joins the conductors together.  These are a form of IDC connection as used in telephone and CAT 5 computer cabling. (Insulation Displacement Connector)

These are NOT the same thing as used on automotive wiring, those are crude and prone to faulty connections.  The e-clamps provided from Simworld are far superior, and do not damage the cables.   Also they are completely re-usable.

E-clamps:

The other ends of the branch tees are pre-fitted with the CAN and power connectors

CAN Branch connected to the main CAN line

This shows a gauge connected to both CAN and power

I will not be wiring these gauges up until i mount them in my overhead, but i did wire a few together on the bench just to test it out, and to show how they are wired. :)
(Note the power connector are not plugged in in this photo)

Testing!

As stated earlier, there is literally no config to do to get these gauges working in Prosim with the Simbox CAN controller.  Prosim recognizes the Simbox and it just all works.

I did have a problem with my power supply, for some reason it stopped the Simbox from talking to the gauges properly.  Swapped for a higher quality unit and no problems at all!  (My fault for buying a crappy chinese E-bay special power supply!!)
I would like to make a special note here that Filip from Simworld truly went above and beyond to help me get them working!  his customer service is simply awesome.

The gauges are a wonder to watch, perfectly smooth and fluid movement, they exactly mirror the speed of the needles in Prosim Panel.  No fast jerky movements like you see in servo gauges.

Powering on the gauges they perform a self test where the needle goes to full left scale and the stepper motors calibrate, then they move to their selected positions.

The backlighting is one of the main reasons i bought these gauges, and I am not dissapointed.  - it is beautiful :)

(I spent several hundred dollars and a few months making my own servo gauges, which looked awesome during the day, but when lit up at night they just didn't look right.  The black background would be a washy grey when lit, or the numbers were too dark etc etc.) 

Simworld have it nailed with these gauges,  the laser engraved faces allow perfect lettering in the day, and an ultra realistic lighting effect at night.

My tests had the gauges outside the overhead, so there is a lot of side light that you would not see if they were mounted.  This made them look brighter overall in my photos. Also my shitty camera on the phone is apparently super-shitty at taking low light photos.

As many of you know, it is hard to get a photo of backlighting that does it justice, but i can assure you the gauges look much better in the flesh than in these photos, especially at low backlight levels.  I think they have found the perfect Surface mount LED to replicate real bulbs!

I will update with more photos and videos once they are mounted and wired properly.

Conclusion

I think this is one of the best purchases I have made to date.  The added realism of gauges that both look and operate like the real thing is second to none.
(short of converting the real thing, that is!  I have spent almost 2 months converting a standby RMI!)

For those with Simworld MIPs/oveheads, i would say there is no substitute for these, given the ease of mounting and wiring.   You could literally install all these gauges and wire them and have them running in under 30 minutes.

For those with other platforms such as FDS or Engravity etc, you may need to do some work to make the gauges fit correctly, but wiring them is still a snap :)

When you look at what else is on the market, there is no comparison. 
The big competitor would be Flight Illusion, but the following reasons make Simworld a better option IMO

* Backlighting - 2 LEDs stuck in behind the lens on FI gauges just light up the face unevenly, and cause shadowing and reflections. Simworld units are lit from behind with even smooth light.
* Software and setup - You need to install , configure and run the FI software to get the gauges working, then calibrate all the gauges.  Simworld you just plug in a USB cable.
* Bezels - FI gauges have no bezels around the front of the instrument, where the Simworld ones do.
* 3D - most of the FI gauges are flat faces, even the dual needle ones.  Simworld units have the correct 3D stepped layers making up the faceplates.
* Price - With current pricing the Simworld package is only a  bit over half as much as the same thing from FI  (ex VAT and shipping)

Anyway, this is all just my opinion, and I am not knocking FI's products, I just would highly recommend these to anyone looking at gauges.

Feel free to ask any specifics, i have only made a general overview here.

Caflyt

Mickc,
Simply awesome!
Those are really impressive and you are a lucky man.
Think you for such a complete update.
I must agree with you , I have the Simworld MIP and Filip is always eager to help when I have a question.
In my opinion, there are VERY FEW in this industry who are as responsive as he is and is one of the main reasons I look to Simworld first for stuff.
These gauges are on my short list now!

Chantry23

Another of the very few responsive guys in this industry is Steve Cos of FDS.  Nothing is too much trouble and his response times are phenomenal.

Caflyt

I 100 percent agree!!!
That's why I capitalized "FEW"
Those guys at FDS are included in my book.

sluyt050

Thanks mick for your elaborate review. I've just finished assembling FI gauges (including 'your' genuine trim air ind. gauge) in my FDS OVH panels and MIP. So unfortunately no Simworld for me for the time being. But I admit, they are brilliant!
Edward

tennyson

Thanx for the review, Mick.
I have just bought a full set as well.
I sold off my servo gauges in my OH to Gwyn from AeroSim Solutions in Perth and had intentions of replacing them with FI ones.

I was lucky that SimWorld bought these out, just in time. I saved over 600 bucks going this way.

You've now put my mind at rest, that I've done the right thing!

Thanx, Mate,

Frank Cooper

Bob Reed

I would like to say thank you Mickc for taking the time to put this review together for the group!

hirail22

Is it just me or does anyone else find it interesting that chantry23 should register and post at the same time about something that had nothing to do with canbus gauges  :)

Jetcos

I think it is interesting....

He had asked me about gauges and referred him to this post. Maybe he should have mentioned that?

He ordered and has installed the APU gauge in his FDS OH. He is working on installing the remaining gauges. So far so good on installation. This has been on his list of items to add to his full B737 simulator. Running PM and interfacing went easy. He has been building for several years and is cleaning up on his list.

Just the facts...
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jackpilot

Quote from: hirail22 on April 22, 2014, 01:49:19 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find it interesting that chantry23 should register and post at the same time about something that had nothing to do with canbus gauges  :)
Just a note:
Martin made a comment on vendor responsiveness (following Craig's remark on that subject) after Steve Cos kindly referred him to a CB post raving about an FDS competitor product !!
Martin took the opportunity to join CB and, being an experienced 737 builder, his presence here is an asset.
Cheers all   :D
Jack

Jack

Chantry23

To test the back lighting so Simworlds gauges is it just the power cable that needs to be plugged in?  At the moment I am not getting the lighting to show.  Unfortunately Simworld have closed down until May 5th.....

cmdurney

Quote from: hirail22 on April 22, 2014, 01:49:19 PM

I think it's Just you mate..

Great review!!!

Chris

mickc

Quote from: Chantry23 on April 24, 2014, 09:09:17 AM
To test the back lighting so Simworlds gauges is it just the power cable that needs to be plugged in?  At the moment I am not getting the lighting to show.  Unfortunately Simworld have closed down until May 5th.....

If you have the CAN dimmer, you obviously need the CAN bus plugged in as well, but if you are using the IBL terminals on the gauge board, i think you need to apply power to the IBL terminals and make sure the backlight switch is in the EXT IBL position.

tennyson

Well, Mick, I certainly haven't been as lucky as you.

I bought and paid nearly 2 grand for the complete package on the 17th April (nearly 2 weeks ago) and I can't even get a reply from these guys.

I paid priority shipping, and according to their site, it hasn't even been shipped, so I can probably expect at least another week or two.

I have sent three emails asking for some explanation, but to no avail.
I know it's been Easter and holidays, but 2 weeks is a bit beyond a joke.

I'm starting to think I should have gone with a tried and true company like Flight Illusions.

I'll certainly let you know what happens.
I better not get an email saying they had problems with their email system, I've heard that load of bollocks one too many times from crappy flight sim resellers!

Frank Cooper

hirail22

Spoke with Filip about a week or so ago he said they will be on holidays till 5th of May, last email I sent I got an automated reply saying they were closed till then.

mickc

Frank,

Hirail is right, they are closed for holidays, opening again on the 5th.  They usually put this info up on their website, but perhaps not in this case.
Don't panic mate, they are completely above board :)

Did Filip give you a lead time to make the gauges?  I'm pretty sure they are built to order, so Im not sure they would get shipped within a day or so after payment.
My order took 3 and a bit weeks, although there was other hardware involved in that.

tennyson

Thanx Mick,
I was really getting worried and about to cancel the order.

It would have been nice if they'd let me know, I sent them my payment on the 17th, so they could have at least emailed me, but maybe they were on holidays by then.

I'll hold on, I'm not in that big of a hurry, but paying the extra for express post is a bit of a bummer!

Thanx again for the explanation, I appreciate it,

Frank Cooper

Karl737

Hi guys,

Well, after this great review and feedback, I have bit the bullet and ordered the Simworld gauges too.

Just starting off with the flap and brake gauges, as well as the Simbox for the moment. Once I have a completed overhead and have some spare cash, and after I purchase another sewing machine for my lovely wife, I'll order the full overhead set as well.

I also have Simworld front plates on my MIP, so looking forward to the easy installation.

Karl

jackpilot

Sewing machines with PA, VNAV, LNAV  and motorized pedal are so cheap these days that you should be on your gauges way fairly soon.
:D
Jack

Jack

tennyson

They'd look fantastic in your sim, Karl.

Good to see you round, mate.

Frank Cooper

Karl737

Lol Jack, I hope so! :D This "machine" she is talking about has like 10 needles - It's the A380 of sewing machines and I have a feeling it will come with the equivalent price tag too!

Thanks Frank, I'm still around, just been busy. I think the gauges will be great.  I'll post some pics when I get them installed.

Karl

markfire

Rest assured you'll get your gauges. Simworld have the best support of any company I've dealt with.

:2cw:

mickc

Quote from: Karl737 on April 30, 2014, 07:48:18 PM
It's the A380 of sewing machines

Does one of  the needles explode shortly after you start sewing?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gufau

Hello,

I am amazed at what I read about the acquisition of these gauges.
In fact, if I understand you could buy one or two gauges and not the entire set. Similarly, it seems that you have gauges of "flaps" and brakes. "It turns out that for my part, I do not see these gauges on site Simwofld.
How did you, a special touch with Filip ?

Regards,

Volante

I just got my complete set of Overhead gauges from SimWorld, along with the CANbus controller box and dimmer card.
This is by far the best Boeing replica instruments on the market today, and the production quality of both electronics and mechanics is first class!

I was SimWorld's first paying customer when purchasing their Overhead panels, and I am duly impressed with their entire product line.

I bet the guys deserve a few days off, and welcome them back to continue developing and delivering the toys we need!

Vidar

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate