Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
727 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 745
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 727
Total: 727

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Simworld CAN Gauges review ** Pic Heavy**!

Started by mickc, April 15, 2014, 10:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl737

Quote from: mickc on May 01, 2014, 03:47:40 AM
Quote from: Karl737 on April 30, 2014, 07:48:18 PM
It's the A380 of sewing machines

Does one of  the needles explode shortly after you start sewing?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can absolutely guarantee it will! Would that be an uncontained needle failure??  :laugh:

Caflyt

Gafau,
Yes you can email Filip and order the gauges you want.
He told me they just haven't gotten them on the website store yet but they are available seperately.
The gauges are slightly less expensive if you buy the set but not all of us are in a position to do that.
I am ordering the flaps gauge, sim box and cabling very soon myself.
After saving my SIM-bucks for a while I will order the overhead set.

Filip is a real pleasure to deal with.

Craig

gufau

Thank you very much for your clarification Craig,
Yes, it's better to buy only what you need especially if you have no oh
Agree with you, Filip is really cool.
gufau

wildcat02

I also have to buy all my gauges for my cockpit.

My MIP and OVH (FlyEngravity) are compatible with the FI-gauges. So I don't know if the SimWorld gauges fit ...

I still want to see the SimWorld gauges in real and in action during the FSWeekend in Lelystad (In the autumn).

Difficult now to make a decision ;).

tennyson

Big relief.
Filip emailed me today and confirmed they were on holidays and assured me that my order is under way and I'll get my gauges as soon as they can make and ship them.

That's good enough for me,

Frank Cooper

Chantry23

FDS Overhead

I have just completed the installation of Overhead gauges from Simworld.  The majority fitted perfectly with no more than the need for the screw holes to be slightly enlarged.

The pressure gauges could not be fitted from behind as with the other gauges.  The larger gauge needed the hole enlarged considerably but with the gauge being inserted from the front my poor cutting was completely masked!  The smaller gauge was inserted from the front also because of the authentic shaped faceplate.  The back lighting is superb.  All in all very smart!

tennyson

I just got my package yesterday, after a call from UPS asking for a further 342 bucks for duty and customs.
What a gyp? I wish now, I'd remembered and asked the guys to spilt the order in two and then I'd have been better off and saved 342 bucks.

Anyway, they are a work of art, to say the least. No need to put up any pics, cause the ones at the start of the thread say it all.

I was a little surprised that there is no instructions on how to put them together. I know it's all pretty self explanatory, but there isn't even any instructions on the web site. Perhaps Filip or one of the guys need to include a rudimentary set of instructions for the novices like me.

I have a problem, tho. When I went to put them in my overhead (which had a full set of OC gauges originally mounted in it) the holes were all different. This meant I had to widen out the holes.
I don't like to do this, as there is a chance the edge of the hole may show and also the swarf from drilling out the hole can get into the other gauges and switches that are already mounted.
The alternative is to pull everything out of the overhead and do the mounting holes first, but that is unrealistic if your overhead is already wired, like mine.

Then, a further problem. I have installed Archen's starter solenoid switches and one of the gauges hits the starter switch. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around this, maybe a spacer, or something, but I'm going to shoot an email to Archen, to let him know of this problem.

It's a shame to have these few problems. I don't know why we can't have some regulatory spec on things like gauges and panels, whereby manufacturers parts will work side by side, instead of leaving us to rectify and modify parts.

I am looking forward to the finished product and will throw a few pics up, when I get the OH mounted in my shell.

Frank Cooper

mickc

Hi Frank,

Yes, the UPS call is never a cheap one :(
I have tried getting shipments split, but still they use the combined value.  The only way is to get them sent a week apart, but then the extra shipping cost starts approaching the  import costs anyway....

Filip is working on a basic instruction set, but as these are custom made depending on the customers order and configuration, its a bit hard to make a general manual...

I too had the issue with Archen's starter switches, i just turned the switch 90 degrees, no problem.

Good luck with the regulatory specs!  Thats a bit like trying to get Ford parts to fit Toyota cars!

tennyson

Thanx, Mick, I thought about turning the starter switch 90 degrees, but wasn't sure if it would still work. Now I have my answer.

I made a wooden mount for my overhead today, so it's a lot easier to get to all the places for wiring and fitment of the gauges.

I'm going to bite the bullet on the pressure gauges and re-make the panel. There is no way I can make the nice Simworld bezels fit in the crappy overhead panel. I'll look at doing the same for the rest of the gauges as I don't want to miss out on the simworld bezels and plexiglass.

I got a few pics today, so I'll throw them on later on.

Thanx again, mate.

Frank Cooper

Andrew 737

I feel your pain here Frank. My first overhead was simworld and my OC gauges didn't fit! I then bought the OC overhead and wanted to fit archens switches - in the end I thought 'stuff this' and bought 1 of everything CP flight - job done.

The problem is it just takes so long to get all the modifications done otherwise. Like I said, I feel your pain mate - been there too
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

tennyson

You are right Andrew and I've thought about selling this OH and buying a complete Simworld OH, but I am too far in now.

Here's a few pics, explaining the problem.

This is the quick frame I made up so I can work on the OH easily

And here is the problem where the gauge hits the Archen switch

I'm going to try and turn the switch 90 degrees tomorrow, like Mike suggested and see if that works.

I love the gauges, tho, they are so well made.

Frank Cooper

jfuenmayor

Do any of you information  if the Archen  Switches fit in a FDS OVHD Panel?
I may run into the same problem.

JF

jfuenmayor

I mean, kind of thoughtless from me, the FDS with the Flight Illusion gauges instead.?
I know you have used the FDS one ( which I have ).

sluyt050

Quote from: jfuenmayor on May 22, 2014, 06:55:45 AM

Do any of you information  if the Archen  Switches fit in a FDS OVHD Panel?
I may run into the same problem.

JF

Yes they fit (and I have FI gauges).
Edward

tennyson

I've had a bit of a win today.

I decided against making new panels. I discovered that the crappy bezels already mounted on the overhead are only stuck on, so I took them all off. I now have to work out a way of enlarging all the holes, as professionally as possible, to accommodate the new gauges.

I also turned the Starter switch around, but that has just boght about a new set of complications.
The starter switch shaft that the knob sits on is flat on one side, thus allowing for a knob of the same shape to fit.
I know that I could just fit another knob (without the flat section) but the knobs are a set and I'd like it keep them, if I can.
It is also better mechanically, as you are not entirely reliant on the grub screws holding on to the shaft, if they get a bit worn.

I'm sure I'll come up with an alternate plan.

Frank Cooper

Jetcos

Thanks Edward, was going to comment as well. They do fit nicely.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jfuenmayor

Many thanks to Edward and Steve. Now I will order them after hearing from the experts.

JF

archen

Quote from: tennyson on May 23, 2014, 12:32:04 AM
I've had a bit of a win today.

I decided against making new panels. I discovered that the crappy bezels already mounted on the overhead are only stuck on, so I took them all off. I now have to work out a way of enlarging all the holes, as professionally as possible, to accommodate the new gauges.

I also turned the Starter switch around, but that has just boght about a new set of complications.
The starter switch shaft that the knob sits on is flat on one side, thus allowing for a knob of the same shape to fit.
I know that I could just fit another knob (without the flat section) but the knobs are a set and I'd like it keep them, if I can.
It is also better mechanically, as you are not entirely reliant on the grub screws holding on to the shaft, if they get a bit worn.

I'm sure I'll come up with an alternate plan.

Frank Cooper

Shoot me an email Frank I'll make you a D-shaped shaft in the other direction so it can be mounted in 90 degrees.

If you are confident to change it. It's not hard. A couple of screws that needs too loosened and some parts to be removed. Completed in 15mins.

Anders
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

tennyson

Now, that's great support, right there, guys.

Thanx Anders, I've sent you an email, mate.

Frank

jfuenmayor

Since the thread sort of migrated to Ander's switches, I'll just reinforce it a bit. I just installed these magnificent switches on my FDS OVHD, They fit but I have the early version of the OVHD, I am not sure if there have been any modifications to it in the most recent ones, but in mine I had to do a bit of work because one connector for the lower IBL panel ( the left viewed from the cockpit, right from above ) was blocked by the switch , just about 2 mm. I had to solder two wires to the terminal in the panel and pass them through. I had to make a direct connection since I did not have a male connector for the IBL. Anyhow, it worked well. I also used FDS Relay-8 card, a snap.

Thanks Anders and FDS.

JF

Karl737

Hi guys,

I ordered the Simworld flap and brake gauges a few weeks back and they have since arrived and been installed.

I won't go back over what Mick has reviewed so well, but I will reiterate how well made and impressive these gauges are as well as the fact that they truly are plug and play.

Installation in my MIP including wiring took me a total of an hour. The only issue was initially the Simbox wasn't being picked up, but this was due to my crappy USB hub. I ran a lead directly from the Simbox to the computer and the gauges fired straight up.

In short, I can't recommend them enough!

Karl

Jetcos

Karl,

How big is the Brake Pressure gauge? There may be a size issue with having the TAKE-OFF CONFIG and CABIN ALTITUDE annuciators. This has been seen with Flight Illusion gauges as well.

Thanks!
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Karl737

Hi Steve,

The back of the Brake Pressure gauge is 54 mm x 54 mm square.

Karl

Sam Llorca

Hi guys,

I ordered the Simworld O/H gauges a few weeks ago, on July 22nd to be exact and I just received them last night, very we'll packed and they look awesome.

Not in a rush to install them because they are not compatible with Sim-A yet, Mark is working on an update to use them with Sim-A, they work right out of the box with ProSim737.

All I have to say is that they look fantastic !

Now we don't have to guess if the EGT is rising or not when starting APU! Yay, no more stickers!

Keep you up to date on the install, cheers.

tennyson

I haven't touched my overhead for quite a while, but I eventually worked out all my fitment issues and my gauges look fantastic.

I am in the final stages of hooking things all back up, so I needed to know about the hooking up of the flow control valve gauge.

I turned to the Simworld site, but there's no paperwork or psd files or even a forum to ask about it, so I remembered that Mick had done this fabulous write up last year.
I came back here and there was my answer.

Thanx to Mick and Cockpitbuilders. I can finish up the overhead now.

Frank Cooper

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate