Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 09:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
720 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 720
Total: 720

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

building the backwall

Started by ivar hestnes, January 16, 2010, 12:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivar hestnes

Started to build the backwall section late december. But due to the very cold weather we have had here the last two weeks, it is a slow go. I need T-shirt temperatur to function properly  ;) Also this part of the sim is very tricky to do. I do my best to use correct measures, but have to cheat here and there, cause my shell is a few centimeters off scale. My plan with the backwall is to get a realistic appearance inside the cockpit, and try to make an OK outside look. The space not used for cockpit-side decoration, will be used for outside lockers.

If anyone have the top CB panel on F/O side, I would be interested to buy or trade ;)

A few pictures of the work so far :)

jackpilot

Nice work Ivar, this will make a big change ..you will be able to turn your head and see that wall of CB's and, in the middle, through the half open door, the panoramic smile of that shy blond flight attendant bringing you your favorite chilled drink on a silver tray...ah, total immersion..

Jack

ivar hestnes

Thanks Jack

It is already a big difference compared to what it was. But still a big job to finish. Flight attendant in the door.....hmmmm......
1-800-FLIGHTATTENDANT hmmmmm..........  Better make that phonecall soon  ;D

I wonder how long time it will take before I Pull the "PULL" handle on the door, lol. I really want to do it :idiot:

Trevor Hale

LOL.  Ivar, thats awesome.  Man as soon as you get going, you really get going.  Man that looks awesome.  I need to make a trip that way and come see your pit.  I love the craftsmanship you put into everything.

Great stuff..

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ivar hestnes

Anytime Trevor. Welcome here :)

Btw, I have made a high res photo with measurements. It is in download section on my website.

:)

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks great Ivar. The CB panels fit right in. Are you wiring any of those for use in the sim?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

ivar hestnes

Thanks Michael

Nah, I dont have any plans for wiring up any of the CB. But you never know. Sometime in the future, I want to rewire the simulator. So maybe I will consider it then.

For now, only realistic representation  :)

ivar hestnes

I did cheat a little on this backwall though.

Called Mr. Lambert and invited him over for a few days of flying. He came here smiling and had the impression that it would be some fun days. How wrong can a man be, lol. Mr. panelmaster was put to work on panels. Removing wires. He did a good job on them though. There was a significant amount of weight in those wires.

Looks like he enjoyed it  ;D

XOrionFE

As always your work is incredible Ivar.     It is just absolutely amazing to me what you have been able to do with wood.    And your site if full of information also which I appreciate you putting up for us.  Out of curiosity....how big is that room you have your shell in?

Regards,
Scott

ivar hestnes

Thanks Scott  :)

I am having my coffee now, trying to motivate me to do the next step. I like working with wood. But it really time-consuming and difficult with all these angles. I am glad that you like my site. There will be alot more info to come in the future.

My room is 4.70m X 4.40m. Height under ceiling 2.37m. I have planned for a 180++ visual setup there with a radius of 2.35m in the future. Still on the drawing board. The tricky stuff is the projectors. As always......  ;D

Boeing Skunk Works

The nice thing about wood is that it can be shaped and carved if needed. It's also cheap enough that if you make a mistake on a smaller part it's not going to eat up the whole sim buget to re-cut it.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

mpl330

Fantastic work again Ivar!
Good to see Mr Panelmaster at work too - would there have been a couple of beers drunk over those couple of days????

Cheers
Mike

dnoize

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 16, 2010, 02:23:20 PM

I wonder how long time it will take before I Pull the "PULL" handle on the door, lol. I really want to do it :idiot:

Dont do it !!!  Its a pain to get the panels back together...trust me...i tried...LOL

Great job on the rear bulhead !!

I have a complete bulkhead here (the actual complete backwall), but seeing your work here i think its a better idea to just use the circuit breaker panels, lights, etc and go your route constructing a complete new backwall.

Excellent job you are doing.

Stef

ivar hestnes

Thanks Mike and Stef  :)

Mike, I can assure you that no beers were even touched. We thought about it, but that gave us a headache, lol. Beers still in the fridge ;)

How long time did it take you to put it back together Stef? The guys that sold the door to me had tried, and also told me to "DONT DO IT" hahaha. But, I can be a child sometimes, hehe. If something says PULL, it is very hard to leave it alone :idiot: I will let it be for a while yet  ;D

Missing those lights. I might have the one for F/O side, but not sure yet. Guess I will try to find a nice substitute. Sometimes I really wish I had a real nose-section to work on, but then I would not get it into my house, and I bet there are some obstacles to solve with a real nose also.

Building everything of wood, is actually a good idea. As Michael says, if you do a mistake, it is cheap to scrap the part and make a new :)

Working on a few bits and pieces to cover the roof back there now. Very time consuming. But I am eager now to do a test flight, with freshly painted backwall :) Still a few weeks away I guess. When this is done, it is not so much missing on the simulator. Have to make the pedal mechanism, make the screen for visuals, and get my HUD functional. But thats it really :)

But I guess there will be lots of battles to solve for a long time.

I have a 737 real overhead frame here, if anyone is interested in swapping it for the missing CB panel ;)

phil744

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

ivar hestnes

Phil!!!

The picture looks more like a proof that you have been drinking beer.  ;D

phil744

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 17, 2010, 08:20:07 AM
Phil!!!

What??? No beer involved at all!!!! but this helped...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Ahhh, Yessssss   Now you're talking!

Jack

ivar hestnes

Guilty as charged.

Laphroaig is my favourite

:cheers:

dnoize

Quote from: phil744 on January 17, 2010, 08:26:18 AM
Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 17, 2010, 08:20:07 AM
Phil!!!

What??? No beer involved at all!!!! but this helped...

Ahhhhhh Laphroaig, My favorite !!!!!

I love the peaty Islay whisky's.

I knew there was a reason to like you ;-) !!!!

Stef

ivar hestnes

My oh my

It seems that we need a sim-builders laphroaig gathering soon  ;
Anyone else want to join?

;D

Trevor Hale

If that and kababs will be on the menu.. I am there.  :)
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

ivar hestnes

thats what it should be Trev. Coming over?  ;D

Trevor Hale

Drool!  Count me in there.

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 17, 2010, 02:27:39 PM
thats what it should be Trev. Coming over?  ;D
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

andarlite

Wow, nice work Ivar. Wish I had even half of your wood skills. Quite remarkable that you can even transport your entire cockpit around to shows. I know that one day I will have to move my cockpit out of the room that I currently have it in so I kept that in mind as I build .... but the more it grows, the more difficult I can see that it's going to be to move. That's probably one reason why my progress is so slow especially with the wiring because I want all panels to be plug and play. I'm curious as to why you want to re-wire your cockpit in the future?

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate