Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:18:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
718 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 718
Total: 718

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

building the backwall

Started by ivar hestnes, January 16, 2010, 12:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivar hestnes

Thank you very much Henry :)

I am sure that you have the necessary skills for wood. I had almost no experience when I started. But I try to "see" what I really want, and think alot before I build. Then it is just the hours spent that count to get a proper result. I am completely useless as a carpenter. Believe me, I have tried, lol.

When I planned the first stages of my shell, I had planned for a transportable sim. Because of all the sad stories about people that had to cut their work in pieces to get it out. So I figured it would be better to make it transportable. And, it really is a bonus to be invited to a airshow :) It really give you a kick to have thousands of "regular" people admire your work.

Wiring, lol
I have not tried to save money on this project. BUT for some stupid reason I just had to try saving one place, lol. So I went out in my garage and grabbed an old BMW-m5 harness and have cut and soldered alot. So there are no specific colour for the wires. Now, I have some issues if I need to modify and fix things. Simply because I slowly forget how I did things. And it has also beeb added things now and then, so it is a spaghetti which is hard to understand. But I guess at some point I will be "kind of" happy with the functionality. (hopefully all wiring done). That would be a good time to rewire everything. Proper colouring, make wiring schematics and that kind of stuff to make the sim easier to maintain in the years to come :)

Plug and play on "big modules" in your simulator is a very good idea. The wiring is the biggest issue everything I transport my sim. Less connectors = easier transport :)

Bob Reed

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 18, 2010, 07:47:54 AM
Thank you very much Henry :)

I am sure that you have the necessary skills for wood. I had almost no experience when I started. But I try to "see" what I really want, and think alot before I build. Then it is just the hours spent that count to get a proper result. I am completely useless as a carpenter. Believe me, I have tried, lol.

When I planned the first stages of my shell, I had planned for a transportable sim. Because of all the sad stories about people that had to cut their work in pieces to get it out. So I figured it would be better to make it transportable. And, it really is a bonus to be invited to a airshow :) It really give you a kick to have thousands of "regular" people admire your work.

Wiring, lol
I have not tried to save money on this project. BUT for some stupid reason I just had to try saving one place, lol. So I went out in my garage and grabbed an old BMW-m5 harness and have cut and soldered alot. So there are no specific colour for the wires. Now, I have some issues if I need to modify and fix things. Simply because I slowly forget how I did things. And it has also beeb added things now and then, so it is a spaghetti which is hard to understand. But I guess at some point I will be "kind of" happy with the functionality. (hopefully all wiring done). That would be a good time to rewire everything. Proper colouring, make wiring schematics and that kind of stuff to make the sim easier to maintain in the years to come :)

Plug and play on "big modules" in your simulator is a very good idea. The wiring is the biggest issue everything I transport my sim. Less connectors = easier transport :)

So Ivar.. Why did you have an old BMW wiring harness in your garage?

ivar hestnes

hehe, I played with cars before I got a brain and started building a sim ;D

I had a very rare 1992 bmw 525ix (4x4), and a friend of mine borrowed it, and broke some valves+++ at around 6200rpm, lol. I loved that car, so I decided to give the car a total overhaul. New engine, new paint and a new interior. So I bought a crashed M5 without engine and undercarriage.

I changed all the vital parts for new. Installed the M5 interior, which was top notch, painted the car, and installed a newer engine. Spent almost 6 months on the car. It was in very very good shape when it was finished. And then I sold it :'( It had run 301500 km. And in absolutely perfect condition. All BMW options installed and working + M5 snacks to top it off.

I really regret I sold it. But I am happy that the car was bought by a collector of special BMW. All that is left is parts of the M5 harness, lol. (Now you got the explanation Bob  ;) )
This car was something really special, and it has a special place inside my head ;)

Picture :P

Bob Reed

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 18, 2010, 08:41:05 AM
hehe, I played with cars before I got a brain and started building a sim ;D

I had a very rare 1992 bmw 525ix (4x4), and a friend of mine borrowed it, and broke some valves+++ at around 6200rpm, lol. I loved that car, so I decided to give the car a total overhaul. New engine, new paint and a new interior. So I bought a crashed M5 without engine and undercarriage.

I changed all the vital parts for new. Installed the M5 interior, which was top notch, painted the car, and installed a newer engine. Spent almost 6 months on the car. It was in very very good shape when it was finished. And then I sold it :'( It had run 301500 km. And in absolutely perfect condition. All BMW options installed and working + M5 snacks to top it off.

I really regret I sold it. But I am happy that the car was bought by a collector of special BMW. All that is left is parts of the M5 harness, lol. (Now you got the explanation Bob  ;) )
This car was something really special, and it has a special place inside my head ;)

Picture :P

Well a one off car! How nice is that! Would like to see more pics  ;)

ivar hestnes

We are waaaaaayyyyy of topic now, but who cares, lol
Well for sure there was not built many of these cars. Specially the sedan version that I had is rare. 4x4 with 40% fwd and 60% rwd, which made winterdriving pure fun. Not once did I get stuck. And with 1600kg weight, 4x4, 192 hp the car still drove at 0.7 liters per 10km. BMW has the finest engine engineers in the world.

More pictures bob. Final assembly of a restored car :)

M5 Interior

And a few more external pics

Bob Reed

Yes but not with the in-terrier you put in it... That is what makes it a one off..... Nice car!

dnoize

whats the blue car in the background ??

ivar hestnes

The blue car is a 1972 plymouth scamp. It was my hobby until I started building a sim, lol. Sold it to pay for sim-parts ;D
It was looking at the car more than doing anything with it, lol. So I was better off with selling it.

jackpilot

Would all this  confirm that people who love flying also have a passion for:
1) Cars, (including buying and selling, collecting, racing , rallying, cruising etc)
2) Boats, (sail & High speed )
3) Fine scotch and whiskies
4) and of course.....Ladies

Hum....I already know a few here who qualify!

Jack

dnoize

Quote from: jackpilot on January 18, 2010, 02:18:35 PM
1) Cars, (including buying and selling, collecting, racing , rallying, cruising etc)

check

Quote2) Boats, (sail & High speed )

check

Quote3) Fine scotch and whiskies

check

Quote4) and of course.....Ladies

check

jackpilot

Jack

dnoize

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 18, 2010, 01:15:03 PM
The blue car is a 1972 plymouth scamp. It was my hobby until I started building a sim, lol. Sold it to pay for sim-parts ;D
It was looking at the car more than doing anything with it, lol. So I was better off with selling it.

Well i like the plymouth more than the bmw :-)

JWS

No it doesn't. I'm not particularly crazy about cars or boats (usually get sick in them).
For 3 & 4 I'm in, as long as the ladies stay of my scotch and nobody tells my wife because I'd like to stay happily married and don't want to see my cockpit really fly (out of the window) :laugh:

JWS

ivar hestnes

Guess the list suits me, lol.

1: Yes indeed
2: I come from a boat designer family
3: hick....burp...... sure
4: No way, lol

Trevor Hale

Well seen as this topic is already so far off base, I should probably stick my nose in it.  In the photo below is the Company boat I get the pleasure to operate. 

More pics Here
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Maurice

Quote from: Trevor Hale on January 19, 2010, 03:34:57 PM
Well seen as this topic is already so far off base, I should probably stick my nose in it.  In the photo below is the Company boat I get the pleasure to operate. 

More pics Here

I can see now why you are not too happy about the sale of your company. But who knows, maybe the buying company may have a business jet instead that you could get the pleasure to operate. All flight deck builders are really dreamers, so if you dream, dream big...same price :-) .

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Hey Trev, nice classic.
Nice telecom setup too on the deck!!!

As far as boating, this is my toy...a classic too but not in the same league!

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on January 20, 2010, 06:41:11 AM
Hey Trev, nice classic.

What???? a sailboat??? Next thing you'll tell us is that you are switching from a 737 to a glider  ::) This is heresy  :laugh:

Maurice

ivar hestnes

ahhh, nice boats for sure. I like boats. Wish I had a boat in the summers. But, too much money to spend for just a few days every year I think.

But........if I turn my shell upside down, and attach an evinrude, I would have something funny on the sea  ;D ( maybe try it up the Hudson to see if there are any reactions, lol).

Maurice

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 20, 2010, 07:36:27 AM
ahhh, nice boats for sure. I like boats. Wish I had a boat in the summers. But, too much money to spend for just a few days every year I think.

But........if I turn my shell upside down, and attach an evinrude, I would have something funny on the sea  ;D ( maybe try it up the Hudson to see if there are any reactions, lol).

I'm quite sure there would be 'reactions', but be prepared to pay for the rescue costs after they send a flotilla to pluck you out of the Hudson  :)

Maurice

andarlite

Quote from: ivar hestnes on January 20, 2010, 07:36:27 AM

Well, since we're temporarily talking about boats, here's my boat:

http://enidsong.net/newmac/

It's a Macgregor 19 Powersailor (and it's got an Evinrude attached to it).  :D

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jackpilot on January 20, 2010, 06:41:11 AM
Hey Trev, nice classic.

SWEET!!!!!!  I personally am not much for sailboats, they make me nervous, but I can imagine the fun you have with that.

I have been looking for some pictures of my personal boat, but can't seem to find any right now..  It is a 1970 Chrysler Charger 183 in Mint condition.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Trevor Hale

Quote from: andarlite on January 20, 2010, 08:35:02 AM

http://prayerclinic.info/newmac/

I like the lines of that Boat Henry..  Very nice indeed.  The only problem you have with a boat like that, living where you do is you either have to fight the 400 on Friday afternoons to head for the lake, or you have Mucho Denero and keep a slip in the harbour.  LOL

Beautiful
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Trevor Hale

Quote from: maurice on January 20, 2010, 05:51:26 AM
All flight deck builders are really dreamers, so if you dream, dream big...same price :-) .

GP actually has several Business Jets, but they don't even want my Brother and he is a Corporate pilot :)

I will keep on dreaming, as you said.. dream, or Dream big is all the same cost..

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

andarlite

Quote from: Trevor Hale on January 20, 2010, 09:59:48 AM
Quote from: andarlite on January 20, 2010, 08:35:02 AM

http://prayerclinic.info/newmac/

I like the lines of that Boat Henry..  Very nice indeed.  The only problem you have with a boat like that, living where you do is you either have to fight the 400 on Friday afternoons to head for the lake, or you have Mucho Denero and keep a slip in the harbour.  LOL

Beautiful

It's actually not that bad Trevor, I'm only 15 minutes to Lake Ontario and there's many launch ramps to use. I also had a slip at the Port Credit Marina for a few years and it was only $1000 for the season (very cheap compared to the yacht clubs). It's funny how many people who keep their boat at a slip are always down at the boat on weekends but never actually leave the slip.... guess they just use it as a floating waterfront cottage.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate