Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
148 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Updating Navigraph FMC Data - Project Magenta / ProSim

Started by ScottThePilot, November 14, 2018, 08:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottThePilot

Hi All,

Have full cockpit Project Magenta currently running and want to update the data from my Navigraph account.  FSX runs on main PC and each CDU is hooked up on separate machines.  I have the files now but where do they get copied to?  Does it install to a FSX directory or do I copy files to the other PC's where CDU are connected?

I know there is an installer but I assume that if I run that and have it update my FSX install on main PC, the other CDU PC's don't have any play in the update process.  Just not sure.

Also, is there anything I need to do to apply the update in the FMC other than restart the SIM and CDU machines.

We are looking at ProSim and I have another machine running P3D with CDU's connected to a different PC.  It appears that maybe the update program would just be needed on Main PC and it would update the ProSim system there.  Perhaps nothing needed on the second PC where CDU's are connected...

Anyway, just want to make sure I don't screw up the PM installation...

Thanks to the brain power as always...
Scott   
Pilot for 40+ years --- Software Coder for 40+ years -- Simmer For A Day!
Hummm.  Which do I love more...

navymustang

When you tell the install manager that you are adding a data base and search for Prosim, it will set it up in the proper directory for you. Only Prosim needs to see the database. The CDU talks to Prosim and does not interface directly with the Navigraph data.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

ScottThePilot

Thanks Jim (navy mustang)...

I found the directory for ProSim but am going to let installer do its job...

I looked on the main PC where Project Magenta runs and can't find similar data.  I have been directed to look at the machine that is connected to the Captain's CDU as that might be where Nav Data goes.  Then shared with F/O CDU machine and PM.  I guess that I will try that next unless someone has another thought...

Scott

navymustang

Help me understand how you are using Project Magenta and Prosim at the same time?
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Pantu

Hi Scott,

basically there are are 2 places where the Nav Data need to go to when using Projectmagenta:
1.) CDU\Data\
2.) PFD\

I´m using successfully Projectmagenta´s Boeing suite together with Prosim´s Flight model.
Forementioned setup works for me. However, not knowing your setup (what parts are PM and what´s from Prosim), it´s rather difficult to give you a 100% correct hint though.

Good luck

Pete

ScottThePilot

Sorry guys for the confusion...  Let me clarify...

We currently use complete FSX-SE & Project Magenta in full cockpit.  PM installed on Main PC with 2 other PC's (identical) that are each connected to a CDU and its monitor in cockpit.  Have a 4th PC for displays that has 4 monitors connected (Captain's Displays, F/O Displays, Upper & Lower EICAS).

So Pete, would I find those directories on each of the PC's that have a CDU connected?  I looked around on the F/O-CDU PC but didn't see a directory that had any navigation files or Data directory.  I didn't look at the Capt-CDU PC nor the display PC.

I downloaded the PM Navigraph update (pm_cdunav_native_1812) which has about 10 files in it including SID, STAR and CDU files.  While I was on the F/O-CDU PC, I looked for some of these files and didn't find any.  Again not sure about other CDU & Display PC's since I haven't looked.  I did look at our Main PC where PM is installed and didn't find these files there either.  So, perhaps you can tell me on which machines I would find these directories and I will go check them out next time I go down to SIM.

To clarify the ProSim info, we are thinking of moving to ProSim in the near future.  We build another Main PC which is where we now have new P3D & ProSim Eval installed.  I was able to download the ProSim version update from Navigraph and it installed just fine (C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\NavData).

So ProSim OK now.  Hopefully I downloaded the version needed for PM asI listed above but need to know which machine and directories need to get all the files.

Thanks for your help on this...
Scott

Trevor Hale

Scott,  I personally don't download the Project Magenta Updates manually,  I us the Navigraph data manager, and have shared the Navdata Directories with the Main FS Machine.
The Navigraph data manager software is told where the navdata is located on all the machines, and it updates them for me.
Don't forget to update Active Sky also if you use it.
Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Bob Reed

To update the PM CDU data, just drop the new data in the main CDU folder. When you start the CDU, the software knows what to do with it.

ScottThePilot

Hi All,

I got the new Navigraph data installed but have an issue...

First, I dropped the files into the Captains CDU machine in the proper directory and all came up on the IDENT page when I restarted.  The F/O CDU machine (different one) uses rCDU so assume it is remote to the master that is on the Captains machines.  Anyway, both CDU's show fine.

My issue became apparent when I went to fly some known routes around KSFO to KSJC.  We have I think 6 waypoints we use on the route and they all work EXCEPT one named FOGGG.  The CDU says it is "not in data base".  Yet as I fly the route without this waypoint, I selected to show Waypoints on the EFIS and it shows up right where it is suppose to be.

I just dropped the update files in the CDU machine and nothing else.  Did I miss something such as rebuilding something?  And how is it showing on ND as I fly yet not found in CDU data base?

Thanks,
Scott

ScottThePilot

Can someone next time in the SIM check the FOGGG waypoint just south of KSFO as I described and let me know if it comes up missing in the database?

Or if there is just something I have not completed since I CAN see it on the ND as I fly the leg yet can't enter it in the CDU as a waypoint?  I didn't look at the PC that has all the MIP displays hooked to see if there is something there that needs to be updated.  I would guess nothing to update since it just drives the screens.

Just FYI: I did go look in the cdu.NAV file and searched for FOGGG and it's not there.  But the other waypoints we use for that route are.  So CDU looks and acts correct but ND still has old waypoints showing.

Appreciate it...
Scott

ScottThePilot

Just an update on PM...

I got the data updated in the Captain's CDU fine and F/O's see it also.  I hadn't realized that there was a separate download for the IOS so applied that one too and now it matches data with the CDU's.

The only issue left (that I newly found) is that a few frequencies that we use do not match what is in the CDU.  For instance, the frequency for KLAS ILS 26L apparently used to be 111.75 but now is 111.5 in the current update to CDU and confirmed in the IOS.  So obviously FSX has something that is not up to date.  How do I find or fix this?

Thanks,
Scott

Trevor Hale

Hmmm thats interesting..  I haven't seen that one actually that I can think of.

Don't forget you have to update the Glass Cockpit also not just the CDU's, and if you have active sky you will also want to update that.

Trev

Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

KyleH

Quote from: ScottThePilot on February 07, 2019, 09:56:56 AM
The only issue left (that I newly found) is that a few frequencies that we use do not match what is in the CDU.  For instance, the frequency for KLAS ILS 26L apparently used to be 111.75 but now is 111.5 in the current update to CDU and confirmed in the IOS.  So obviously FSX has something that is not up to date.  How do I find or fix this?

Thanks,
Scott

Navigraph FMC data only updates the database in the aircraft.
All nav aid (VOR, NDB, ILS etc) frequencies courses etc are all set in the scenery in flight sim as flight sim is what provides the  guidance. Think of it just like the real world, you are just updating the aircraft. If the device on the ground hasn't been update, you won't pick it up on the new frequency.

FSX data was created in 2006, unless you have updated the scenery for that specific airport to be current, the old frequencies are what you actually have to tune.
I believe I've read somewhere that there is an updated nav-aid database available for FSX that would only be a few years old, but I don't remember where that was.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

ScottThePilot

Thanks for jumping back in...

Trev, I didn't see anywhere in the Glass Cockpit area to drop any of the updated files.  Perhaps you can point to the directory.  I am assuming you are talking about where the PFD & ND get run.  Just don't remember seeing anything in those directories.  I will look again...

Kyle, that was sort of my understanding and I think the last update was several years ago.  To your point, I found a couple sites that might be what you are talking about.

FXS/P3D Navaids Update:   http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
FSAeroData:  https://www.fsaerodata.com

Do you all know anything about these and are they safe to apply?

Scott

Trevor Hale

All I do is point the navigraph software to the boeing GC Directory, and it updates.  I am guessing this is for correct drawing of your route on the ND.
Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate