Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
169 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 169
Total: 169

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help in building a GTN 650/750 for Reality XP

Started by redman, December 30, 2018, 03:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hi Michael,

Can you ask your friend which Slicer Program he uses? The DA VINCI 1.0 PRO 3D is the name/model of the printer itself, but I need to know what type of program he uses and what type of .STL he needs it in... Is it Binary or Ascii?

I'm going to go ahead and email you both file types, this is for the GTN 750 only.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

I know on Cockpit Builders we all help one another from time to time, but sometimes it really goes unnoticed. However, today I want to send a big thank you to Arturo for helping Michael with his Garmin Bezel project.

Arturo shared his own 3D file along with making many changes and he uploaded everything several times, as well as he did all of this with very short notice and a fast turn around time. Thus, Arturo thank you so much, as you showed how this website and it's members really do go all out for each another... :idiot:

Kind Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trooping

All,

Im very interested to see how these come out - might need couple when I plan my new build....

Joe.

blueskydriver

I meant each other on that last sentence...silly me  :D

_alioth_

oh John, thanks for your words!

When I started with cockpit building, I had the feeling that this hobby was a little "hermetic" compared to others.
It is not always easy to find help or knowledge.

So, we all have to try to change that! Forums like this are oasis in a desert!

Arturo.

redman

I'm extremely grateful for all your support!

Joining this forum I was hoping to find some answers as I'm new to cockpit building. I have to say that the help received here exceeded my greatest expectations  :)

Once I have the GTNs printed and assembled I will post some pics and comments.

Michael

archen

Hi,
I'm curious. Do you plan to use a second monitor for the GPS or is it possible to use realityxp software over the network?

Br.
Anders

Skickat från min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

redman

Quote from: archen on January 27, 2019, 01:31:24 AM
I'm curious. Do you plan to use a second monitor for the GPS or is it possible to use realityxp software over the network?

Hi Anders,

there's no possibility to use RXP over the network since it needs to be installed on the same station as X-Plane.

Yes, I'll be using it on a second touch screen via hdmi. This is done by moving the pop-up window from X-Plane to a second monitor.

Best,
Michael

archen

Thanks Michael ????

Skickat från min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

blueskydriver

-Hey Arturo,

You're Welcome! You deserve lots of kudos (thanks) for helping others...thanks again. And, I agree totally, this website is an oasis in a vast internet sea. IMHO it's the best in the flight sim community ever!

-Hi Michael,

Did your friend print one out yet? Like others, I'm curious too see it printed. If I get a chance this week, I'll print one. What is the color used by Garmin, black, dark grey or ?

Kind Regards,

John

redman

Hey John,

Not yet, I might have an alternative and print the bezel in SLS technology instead of the FDM I was planning. SLS quality is much better when compared to FDM... The drawback is it might take little longer  ::)

What technology are you using for printing?

The color used by Garmin is rather black, just as the GNS 430/530.

Best,

Michael

blueskydriver

Hi Michael,

I'm using all FDM since the cost of SLS is rather steep to own a printer of that type. However, there are a lot of online services that will print SLS for a decent fee, and all you have to do is send them your .STL file. So, that is what I do for now.

Funny story though, an SLS printer was listed on Public Surplus recently and it went for a few thousand dollars; although, it was worth 50 times that amount. An University was upgrading and decided to sell it. Sadly, I passed on it because of the electrical and environmental requirements... :idiot:

John

redman

Hey John,

Owning a decent SLS printer is out of the question for most if not all of us  ;)
I might consider getting myself a FDM one, but for now I havn't got any spare room to keep it.

Anyway Guys, I'm getting both the GTN and Aspen bezels printed tomorrow. I'm getting it done in SLS technology since an acquaintance of mine has one at work and he's giving me a discount... He quoted me $130 for both bezels with 15 additional elemnets (buttons, knobs etc.) and painting. I guess this is a decent price since I'd have to pay about $60 for printing it commercially in FDM.

Here's a picture of both bezels in their final version

[smg id=1412]

FlyingCheese

I may have missed it, but have you identified what kind of touch display you're using for your GTN?  I've been working on something similar and stumbled across this thread - I'm having a difficult time finding a touchscreen display that will work properly in Windows 10 as a second display.  The couple I've tried from Amazon all seem to emulate a simple HID device which directs the 'touch' back to the primary display - I haven't found drivers for anything yet.

Trooping

Michael,

The bezels look awsome, please do post pictures once you get it printed and up and running.  Are you planning on making just the GTN750 bezel, or at least can the drawing be split so you just print the 750? ( Im very interested in getting these printed myself, but I need to operate them side by side so no need for the 650 )

Joe.

redman

Quote from: FlyingCheese on January 31, 2019, 12:51:24 PM
I may have missed it, but have you identified what kind of touch display you're using for your GTN?  I've been working on something similar and stumbled across this thread - I'm having a difficult time finding a touchscreen display that will work properly in Windows 10 as a second display.  The couple I've tried from Amazon all seem to emulate a simple HID device which directs the 'touch' back to the primary display - I haven't found drivers for anything yet.

I haven't found anything on eBay or Amazon either...
The thing you're looking for is a 10.1" LCD resistive touch screen monitor with hdmi and USB from Aliexpress. You can find a number of those on the website e.g. :

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.3e414c4ddCKur7&orderId=98145887661690&productId=32820610765

You connect it as a second monitor via hdmi and the usb controls the touch functions, no drivers needed...

redman

Quote from: Trooping on February 01, 2019, 07:45:01 AM
Michael,

The bezels look awsome, please do post pictures once you get it printed and up and running.  Are you planning on making just the GTN750 bezel, or at least can the drawing be split so you just print the 750? ( Im very interested in getting these printed myself, but I need to operate them side by side so no need for the 650 )

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Thanks, I'll definitely post some pictures and keep you updated on the progress of the project  :)
I'm planning to use both the 650 and 750 as it is designed as a stack, that is one piece. In my case that was the plan from the very beginning...

Michael

redman

Hi everyone!

A little update on the project...

So I've printed the GTN stack and it looks awesome!  :D

[smg id=1414] [smg id=1420]

The only thing was that I omitted one very important issue, that is to check the encoder size vs the hole in the bezel  :-\ After printing the GTN I found it to be too narrow. The reason for this is actually the fact that it was designed with a completely different purpose then I expected - to mount the encoder screw, not the knob... Thus it was my bad.

[smg id=1416] [smg id=1418] [smg id=1419]

Fortunately, the bezel was printed in SLS technology. The material is very strong thus, making it ideal for drilling etc. I've used mounted grinding stones such as these:

[smg id=1417]

The result, as you can see, was at least satisfying  :)

[smg id=1426] [smg id=1427]

So that's it for now. I'm waiting for the Leobodnar BU0836X joystick board and for the plywood panel which I'm having cut to mount the GTNs and other cockpit elements. Here are the bezels I've printed so far:

[smg id=1428]

I'll keep you posted!

Trooping

Michael,

Wow the end result came out really nice!  I was wondering which rotary encoders you were going to use, I would have thought the Leo Bodnars.  Also what tactile switch's are you going to use for the direct to and home buttons?  Are you just using a 10" touchscreen behind the bezel?  If so any pictures of the other side and how you are mounting it to the bezel?

Well I guess I have to ask, are you going to make the plans available, or sell them?  I would love to get a copy and print a couple of these off for my own project...

Joe.

blueskydriver

-Hey Michael, glad to see things worked out for you...

-Hi Joe, read up above my post and look for Arturo, he is the one who designed the model, so you should ask him...he is an awesome guy!

John

Trooping

redman

Quote from: Trooping on February 25, 2019, 03:27:24 AM
Michael,

Wow the end result came out really nice!  I was wondering which rotary encoders you were going to use, I would have thought the Leo Bodnars.  Also what tactile switch's are you going to use for the direct to and home buttons?  Are you just using a 10" touchscreen behind the bezel?  If so any pictures of the other side and how you are mounting it to the bezel?

Well I guess I have to ask, are you going to make the plans available, or sell them?  I would love to get a copy and print a couple of these off for my own project...

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the good words :) As John mentioned in his post, the GTN bezel is Arthuro's design so please contact him.

Regarding the rotary encoder, I used the propwashsim encoder instead of the Leobodnar one. If I gad done it otherwise I probably wouldn't have to drill since Leo's encoders are simply longer... For home and direct to buttons I'm using normal tact switches such as the ones bellow, on top of which I've attached printed buttons by drilling holes in them:

[smg id=1432] [smg id=1433] [smg id=1434]

Yes, I'm using a 10" touch screen from Aliexpress. It's a few mm wider so it will be mounted behind the plywood panel that will have a cutout for the GTN bezel. I will take some pictures once I have this done, since I'm still waiting for the panel.

Michael

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate