Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
732 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 741
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 732
Total: 732

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Shell build

Started by XOrionFE, June 13, 2010, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Well, finally got started on a shell.  This is the Flightdeck Solutions old wood ribbed shell.  I picked it up from someone who wanted to get rid of it and am working on piecing it back together my way.   I am going to remake the window frames as I wasn't happy with the ones that were with it and as some of you know this is tricky but having the basic shape really helps and hopefully will have them done in the next week.   I decided based on advise from Ivar to try and angle it into the corner of my room and it worked out perfect.  This will allow me to have a 6-7ft radius screen going around the nose for the projection and I hope to get 180-225 degree wrap around with TH2GO, NTHusiam, and 3 DLP WXGA short thow projectors.  All in good time.

Due to the way the shell fits in the room the outside will never be seen which means that I wont feel the need to finish it (phew....).  Afterall, it is the inside perspective that really matters!

You can see my co-pilot Don Harrison in one of the pictures.  He was kind enough to come over and give me a helping hand.   He also brought beer!  With his help what you see was accomplished in about 12 hours of total build time.

My plan is to finish the windows then the top.  It will be able to break down into 5 pieces (two sides, top, and two back walls).   Next I will work on interior panels, placing the MIP, pedestal, seats, dual linked real rudders, and my yoke setup.   Finally I will finish it off with the glorias FDS overheads, CDUs, and CP Flight MCP and Efis units.

Scott

PS-Full size pictures here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

shaneb

Hey Scott,

Glad to see you are at the point that you can start on your shell . . that is going to look great.  Looking forward to seeing the interior components installed.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

fsaviator

That looks great.  Much better than mine turned out...  Good luck!

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

MLeavy737

Looks Great!! I had one of the first, maybe even the first wood shell from FDS years ago and gave up after about 2 weeks! lol

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Kennair

Wow that's one hell of a jigsaw Scott, but looking great.  Must be satisfying, not to mention inspiring, to have the shell from the start.  Reminds me of Ron's L45 kit.  Incidentally what's your room size and the shell footprint?

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

XOrionFE

Quote from: Kennair on June 13, 2010, 09:37:19 PM
Wow that's one hell of a jigsaw Scott, but looking great.  Must be satisfying, not to mention inspiring, to have the shell from the start.  Reminds me of Ron's L45 kit.  Incidentally what's your room size and the shell footprint?

Ken.

The room is 12ft wide (3.65m) by 16 ft (4.88m) long.  Ceiling height (except for vent duct area) is 7.5 ft (2.28 m).

The base frame you see the shell sitting on is exactly 8ft by 8ft square (2.44m sq).   The back wall of the shell is a little wider than the platform (approx 9ft) and as you can see the back wall almost touches the ceiling.  Platform floor height is about 9 inches so shell height on top of that is about 81" tall (2m).

It is tight but should work.   Toughest part will be getting projectors squeezed in right above and aft of the windows on the ceiling.   I will likely use the BenQ 782st's that Ivar used  or InFocus 1503's and throw distance (screen radius from TQ) will be about 6 ft.

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks great Scott. That's a lot of work in a short time.

Can you get the MIP through the cockpit door?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on June 14, 2010, 03:44:15 AM
Looks great Scott. That's a lot of work in a short time.

Can you get the MIP through the cockpit door?

Thanks Micheal,

Yes, just fits...door is 26" wide and MIP is 22" wide...phew....

ivar hestnes

Looks very good Scott.
Cant wait to see the shell covered and painted.
:)

XOrionFE

I have the same problem John.  I have been checking everywhere.    I called Projector People yesterday and they are checking into it for me and are supposed to get back to me next week.   Looks like these are in very short supply right now.   They all want to push the 772 or 776 which of course are not the same.   I think this is just such a new model that it may be a while before we can get them here.   Other option is to try Canada but I am not sure how much import fees might be.
:(
Scott

XOrionFE

I may go with the Optoma EX525STs instead.  They are XGA but I think that they will still work out fine according to my drawings and calculations.  I would just have to move them back about 6 inches from where the BenQs would have been.

Per Alm

It looks very good!!
Congratulations!!

Regards / Per Alm
Per Alm

XOrionFE

Thank you Per

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Chicago when you where here.

XOrionFE

I am on vacation this week and just got back in town yesterday.   Had a chance to get back in the shop last night and make more progress working on the upper shell piece including the overhead frame hanging.    I managed to get both overhead frames fitted along with brackets for the safety latches which work perfectly.  I have to do this very carefully with lot of planning as I have to fit the authentic eyebrow window frames and overhead panels next. 

Today I will work on finishing up the window frames and attaching the upper to the lower and shell back wall.  After that I will need to await the arrival of the FDS MIP and CDU bay I have on order as everything else in the cockpit really will need to rely on that for placement.    This is all exciting seeing things take shape finally.   Long way to go....

Enjoy

Larger pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

Scott

ivar hestnes

Looks very good Scott.
Wish I installed all my components before I covered the shell. Would saved me several hundred hours of work.
:)

XOrionFE

I can see now how that would make it difficult.  Still, yours is the standard by which many of us build :-)

I am not sure if I will even cover mine at this point but I figure I will decide once the inside is done.

Scott

vcimmino

Fantastic work Scott... that is growing up nicely :-)

Bob Reed

Wow Scott.. Looks real good! Almost time to sit in it and make flying noises!!  :idiot: :D

Trevor Hale

Good God that is a tight squeeze in there, but as the others have said, it looks amazing.  Great stuff.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

shaneb

Hey Scott,

It is awesome seeing your project come together . . I think you have found your true love (aircraft that is)  Looking forward to seeing the shell/interior come together! Looks great.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Thanks guys.

This is getting fun for me now.   I am still hoping to squeeze projectors in but it is very tight for sure.   My biggest issue may be the soffit that protudes from the ceiling right in front of the windows.   Very little space to squeeze the projectors.   Definitely have to be BenQ MP782St's in order to get the throws right.  If those dont fit then plan be will be 5 32" LCD monitors using dual TH2Go's or 1 TH2GO and 1 Wideview computer but trying to avoid the later.

Trevor, have you progressed at all on your monitor setup yet?

Scott

Trevor Hale

Oh Scott, your going to be in fine shape..  As for me, building has halted.  I am probably moving in the spring.  In the meantime I will continue with my projectors..  Hopefully I will get to at least do some flying this winter..

But I will keep you posted.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

dharrison

Scott,

Welcome back man, looking great. Can't wait to get over and see it.

This weekend may be out but how does next weekend looK?

Don

dharrison

If you are working tonight I may be able to get over for a little while, maybe even tomorrow night if that works. My wife has an event at her work today but it's outdoor. If it gets rained out early maybe I can make it.

I'll call you if it works out.

Don

Jetcos

Looking good Scott!  Enjoy watching a project come together. They never end, ask Ivar but you are headed in the right direction.

Can't wait to seee more pics.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate