Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:09:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
720 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 720
Total: 720

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Shell build

Started by XOrionFE, June 13, 2010, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h00t74

Simply Awesome.. Does anyone make these rib kits anymore??

XOrionFE

Well the main framing is now complete and after having fit in the overheads I was getting ready to start installing shell linings and interior but then decided to paint the framework first.   Currently I have painted with Kilz White primer so it will protect the wood from any mildew (some was already on it from the previous owner's basement).    Next I will paint it all Boeing gray (if there is such a thing...lol).    Once painted I will paint the floor with Porch paint which will later be covered with flooring.    Then the real fun begins.....fitting all the liners and parts.    I believe also I should be recieving my MIP and Glare from FDS this week so I am really excited that things are slowly taking shape.

Here are the progress pics....

fsaviator

Scott,

Looking good!  Truthfully, I prefer the wooden shell.  It looks so much better than the new one FDS sells.  You scored getting that.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

jskibo

Looking good!!!

About to order my MIP and CDU base, can't wait to start stuffing it!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Boeing Skunk Works

Great job Scott. Looks way better than aluminum sticks welded together.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Very nice Scott,
What about the Yacky Green primer.... ::)
JP

Jack

dharrison

Scott,

Looks great!

I have been lucky enough to see Scott's work in person and I cannot begin to say how high the attention to detail is. His wood working skills are fantastic. Scott, still planning for Friday looks like we will have a lot to do if we can pry ourselves away from the temporary flying set-up and the sim-A stuff!!!!

Don

ETomlin

Quote from: jackpilot on August 18, 2010, 05:01:07 AM
Very nice Scott,
What about the Yacky Green primer.... ::)
JP

Home Depot Apple Green my friend, Apple Green. Works a treat for that color.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

XOrionFE

Hey thanks all.  I appreciate the comments.    I thought about the green but right now I have been considering leaving the outside uncovered and thought the green may look somewhat weird from the outside.    Hmmmm.....lets have a vote!   Green or Grey?

Also, a little surprise showed up at my door today.......Can anyone say FDS MIP/GLARE/and CDU Bay!!!   Yippie!!!!

Thank you Peter, Steve, and the crew!    Yes, Don...come on over...lots to do (if we dont spend the whole night flying the temp setup lol)

Scott

ETomlin

Well, I think that it really depends. Green looks good but I went with Gray. Much cheaper and in the long run you wont see it anyhow (seeing as both you and I are of the same mindset that we will focus on the interior and hide the outside vs. trying to make the outside look like an airplane too.)
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Bob Reed

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 18, 2010, 06:20:31 PM
Hey thanks all.  I appreciate the comments.    I thought about the green but right now I have been considering leaving the outside uncovered and thought the green may look somewhat weird from the outside.    Hmmmm.....lets have a vote!   Green or Grey?

Also, a little surprise showed up at my door today.......Can anyone say FDS MIP/GLARE/and CDU Bay!!!   Yippie!!!!

Thank you Peter, Steve, and the crew!    Yes, Don...come on over...lots to do (if we dont spend the whole night flying the temp setup lol)

Scott

Nothing wrong with flying!! Flying is why we do the work supposedly but (me included) get so wrapped up in the working, we forget why we are working and slowly lose intrest. You need to fly to remindyourself why!!! I just made that up!!  :D :idiot: Have fun!!

jackpilot

Speaking of which....

My set up is also part here , part there,  but I can fly the "computers part" with an Ace yoke and my dear TQ plus a few buttons on a "rudder" joystick

Yesterday I flew from LGAT (old Athens) to Istambul International at FL290
NO CDU (except for radio tuning), NO AutoPilot, NO AutoTrottle..100% manual including SID  & STAR, crosschecking airways and waypoints with two VORs. Managing descent with the X3 rule......and having to go around (not being under ATC) before making a kiss landing on 36R, nicely trimmed at  Flaps 30....WHAT A KICK!!
Wondering sometimes why we spend so much time replicating /buying all this crap that makes any flight a boring redundant experience, turning dials and watching the beast fly itself...

Sorry for Hidj-Hacking the thread. :laugh:

Jack

XOrionFE

Jack, you are absolutely right.   Flying is what fuels the building and the best flying is the real flying...

On another note....Anyone looking at building a shell like this should ask around to see if anybody on these forums has an older FDS shell kit like this because there may be some out there that could be bought still.    However, I will also say that it is A LOT OF WORK.    In hind sight I think if I could rewind I would probably just get the FDS Steel shell.     This is because as I learn more about how FDS stuff is built, it all just works....period.   Everything I have recieved from FDS is so well thought out and engineered it really takes the guess work out and saves a lot of frustration.   Does it cost...well yes....that is a given.   For me, my time is precious and it is worth it.    Anyway, am I plugging FS..Yes.   Trust me when I say money well spent.    Pictures of MIP coming soon.....

Scott

XOrionFE

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 19, 2010, 08:24:16 AM
Jack, you are absolutely right.   Flying is what fuels the building and the best flying is the real flying...

On another note....Anyone looking at building a shell like this should ask around to see if anybody on these forums has an older FDS shell kit like this because there may be some out there that could be bought still.    However, I will also say that it is A LOT OF WORK.    In hind sight I think if I could rewind I would probably just get the FDS Steel shell.     This is because as I learn more about how FDS stuff is built, it all just works....period.   Everything I have recieved from FDS is so well thought out and engineered it really takes the guess work out and saves a lot of frustration.   Does it cost...well yes....that is a given.   For me, my time is precious and it is worth it.    Anyway, am I plugging FS?..Yes. But trust me when I say money well spent and just want to save others time and aggravation if I can.    Pictures of MIP coming soon.....:-)!

Scott

phil744

Looking good Scott, im itching to start my build, hoping my shell will be delivered next month :) :) :) child with new toy me :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

XOrionFE

Thank you Phil,

Check this out guys.....I cant even believe how perfect this fit into my shell even though it is the latest FDS MIP and their first Shell.   I am ecstatic   ;D

Bob Reed

Wow Scott.... Very nice! For some reason I don;t see a ton of flying getting done tomorrow night....  ;) :D

ETomlin

Man...looking forward to making that trip up there one day Scott!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Sean

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 19, 2010, 08:24:16 AM
On another note....Anyone looking at building a shell like this should ask around to see if anybody on these forums has an older FDS shell kit like this because there may be some out there that could be bought still.

Your work has prompted me to do just that. Excellent work Scott.

XOrionFE

Thank you Sean and it would be awesome to see another being built.   Hopefully someone has one and can get you going.    It would be nice to have a few of these being build together.

Scott

XOrionFE

Well thought I would post some updated pictures.    Visuals are done of course (see other thread) except minor tweaking of Nthusim so time to get back to the SHELL! :-)

I have the whole frame now painted grey and have just about finished the ceiling liners and overhead frames setup.   Starting to look like a real plane finally and I am so happy that I now am about to start mounting the MIP and overhead panels.    The plane hopefully will be airworthy within a few weeks!!  ;D ;D ;D

Here are some pics:
Scott

jackpilot

Most of us go by stages....busy at building smthg and then a few months idling and contemplating the next stage....Obviously you are in a frantic  building phase...impressive. Do not let the steam pressure  fall  :laugh:
Congrats. Very very nice job.
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

Thank you Jack

Yeah, I want to get back to flyable at least.   That means MIP and Yokes anyway but at this stage, the yokes, pedestal, TQ, and seats are all pretty much ready to mount.   I need to put together and wire the MIP this week (have a SYS4 card on the way this week from FDS for the MIP).     I couldnt resist putting it back in the cockpit for another picture :-)
Amazing that the distance from Glareshield to the overhead is 9.5 inches.   I think in reality it is supposed to be like 8.5 but hey....what is an inch....I am ecstatic that it came together this well.  I am saving the aft of the cockpit for later as I will do the circuit breaker panels (with the decals your making) and probably a jump seat.    Needs to be flyable first though.

Scott

matta757

Maurice

Man, do you EVER EVER sleep?? That is some fast amazing progress there. Really looks fantastic. Can I borrow some of your motivation?  :D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate