Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
112 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737NG Cockpit Floor Rivet Sizes and Locations

Started by MistyBlue, July 06, 2017, 07:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistyBlue

Hey all, I am working on building the floor for my FDS 737NG cockpit shell.  Going to be made of plywood and painted Boeing gray.  Ultimately I'd like to place rivets down to make it look like the real thing.  Necessary, no.  But why not.

Problem is, I'm not sure exactly where to place the rivets.  I've got a great reference picture of the floor from fly737ng.com but I don't have any dimensions to go with it so I can't judge distance.  Unfortunately, I can't find a way to contact him on his site to ask if he would take a few measurements for me.

Anyone have anything they can share or point me to?

Buster99

Hi MistyBlue, I have a picture that indicates part of what you are looking for.
The ruler is in cm's, the flight deck is a 737-NG. I have more pictures but without size indication.

I hope this helps,
Marc

P.S. I tried to attach a larger picture but I think that did not work as I cannot see the post coming up.

MistyBlue

Awesome!  Thanks Marc.  That helps a lot! Looks like the rivet heads are about 6mm or close to a 1/4". 

Would you also happen to have a wide shot of the whole floor so I can see the entire rivet pattern?  Turns out the pic from fly737ng.com is a Classic model and has a lot more rivets than the NG appears to have based on the couple of tight shots I have of a real NG floor.

I'll also PM you my email if you want to shoot them to me that way so we don't have a size issue.

Again, thanks very much!

Tony

jackpilot

You are making your life complicated and adding unnecessary weight to your sim and the wood will end up showing through the paint with use.

I do not use carpeting as it may induce static but rubber matting (Costco Stores)
Just for your info

Jack

bernard S

if you using solid metal floor then it needs to be fully supported
..do yiu need access to any point below floor level ..if so then cut in access panels ... my floor is honeycomb and screws fuxed directly to the STA points ... another suggestion    weld the floor frame with bolt togeather sections   be easier to move hence screws   rather than ri its   as you may have to drill them.out   .. hence honeycomb becuse yiu can countersi k the heads

navymustang

While we are on the topic of floors - does anyone know what the actual NG series use on the floor? I have bare aluminum right now, and the actual 737-300 cockpit that I have had no floor covering (United cockpit).

Does the NG have rubber mat or other such covering?
Thanks
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Garys

The floor has no covering, its just painted. Max will be the same.

MistyBlue

Hi Jack, so are you saying go with metal versus wood?  Weight isn't really an issue so not too concerned about that.  I figured a multi layered paint approach (couple of prime coats and couple of paint coats) will last long enough.  Guess I could plate it with aluminum sheet and paint that.  Anyway, as far as the rivets, I know it's not a necessary detail, but it would sure look cool.  Time consuming, but not hard work.

Bernard, I think I decided to just do some ACE yokes and keep all the mechanisms above floor for now.  For my sim no real need to put anything under the floor.  And I already bought the wood ;)

Navy, when I was in a 737-8 in the maintenance hangar, the floor was solid, not a rubber feel.  Seemed like painted solid aluminum to me.

Buster99

Hi MistyBlue,

I have a couple more pics, hope they are of use  :)
Floor is painted aluminum without any other covering.

Best Regards,
Marc

MistyBlue

All very helpful, thanks Marc!  I'll take anything I can get.

jackpilot

Quote from: MistyBlue on July 07, 2017, 06:12:27 AM
...Hi Jack, so are you saying go with metal versus wood?  ...

Nope I used a rubber mat which looks like metal . Made for HD garage floor use.

If you go plywood , use a mega sealer before painting, because wood will suck in all your paint

Jack

Flying_Fox

I planned to use rubber mats from Wal-Mart for the floor (they have same pattern as Jack's from Costco, but thicker and less durable rubber),  but now I think that plywood painted  Boeing Gray as I have it for 4 years is good enough.

Floors are not visible in my videos anyway.  ;)

:2cw:

Nick

bernard S

i say place thr rivets until insanity sets in   :P :P

blueskydriver

Do what I did, drill countersink holes and use painted wood buttons in the holes, they look just like a boeing floor rivet...????

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

It's getting worse with time !! :P
No cure...no cure

Jack

blueskydriver

Come now Jack, you know all of this is a sickness and we'll never find a cure...short of selling it all and building a boat! Wait...uh, who did that already?...where in the world is Mau?

Seriously though, I don't think what's on the floor really matters, just as long as you got one. Okay, maybe one of us builders will notice, but any visitor only sees pretty lights and switches or "tv" screens. With countless Young Eagles (kids and adults) in mine, not one ever asked about the floor or said what I have is not what you really see in a cockpit. However, that being said, Jack is right in using the Diamond Plated rubber mat because of static electricity issues, just as much as Bernard is right making sure everything is grounded properly on the real floor.

So, my point is, it all depends on what you as the builder will be happy with. Don't worry though, because if you're unhappy with it, you'll likely have changed it three times before reaching that point...lol ????

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Bingo...
Have the attendant knock on the armored cockpit door and bring you that famous 12 years Runway Glenn to help you complete the flight and a memorable landing at Happiness Municipal Field where your famous hangar stands.

Cheers John, let's enjoy life. :D

Jack

MistyBlue

Different strokes for different folks, right?  That's what makes this hobby great (and keeps us insane). I got plentry of time since my build is coming along very slowly, so why not.

Btw I found metal mushroom rivet caps used for clothing in various mm sizes on amazon.  Will make it easy to drill a hole then glue the caps in so they stay put.

Once I have things more put together I'll post a few pics :)

bernard S

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate