Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
103 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 Cockpit Interior Refinements

Started by sagrada737, August 05, 2020, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

I am using the FDS Nose Section for my 737 Sim.   This turns out to be a fairly solid structure, which provided a stable support for the Projection System on my Sim Project.   I also bought the FDS Interior package, which saved a great deal of time in realizing a fairly realistic looking 737 Interior.

Instead of using the "Push-In" plastic fasteners, I installed U-Nuts and used 1/4-20 thin head storm bolts to attach each of the FDS Interior Panels.   This makes it super easy to remove the panels for mods, maintenance, etc..

In my effort to make the cockpit look close to a real 737, I made some modifications to the interior panels and attachments.   Here are some photos of what I have done with the Interior layout thus far...

The 1st photo show the installation of dual iPads for use with Navigraph and Charts.  They are charged from the 737 USB charging Ports.

The 2nd and 3rd photos show the CA side and the FO side refinements, to include the Side Vents, Standby MIC, Cup Holder, and Chart Holder Box.

The 4th photo shows the 737 removable "Torch" Light.  There is one on each side.  Also in that photo is the "Window Heat" coiled cable.  The USB Charging Ports can be seen as well.

The 5th photo shows the Pilot Flight Bag storage area and side compartments.  The Side compartment (each side) is for Glare Shield stowage, and Fire Gloves.

The 6th photo shows the Pedestal with its PA MIC and Gear Pins, and Circuit Breakers.

Once I get the Yokes/Control Columns installed, I will lay down aluminum sheet and "fake" the floor rivets.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

n4208t

helloo

Looks great.  Please see the photo and let me know what you used to make the panel and what paint color/code.  I have been wanting to do this.  InkedFlight_Bag_Area_LI.jpg

Fabian

that looks so good! love those additional details

kattz

sagrada737

Regarding Hello's question on the material used for the interior panels on my Sim...   

I used a "Tempered Masonite".   This is also known as "Hardened Masonite" or "Hardboard".   It is available at most big box hardware stores, such as Home Depot.

Be careful not to confuse this with the standard soft Masonite that is sold.  Lowes and Home Depot sell a coated Hardened Masonite that has a hard white gel coat on one side.   This adds to the stability of the material and also makes it easy to paint.  This material is easy to cut and drill, and glues easily.

As for the paint...   I have been using Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer.  This paint comes in a spray can, it dries quickly, and best of all, it sticks to almost any surface.  It is also good for building up paint layers to cover surface issues, such as you get when 3D printing parts.  There are many color choices, but unfortunately, none of these perfectly match the Boeing colors.  For my Sim, I chose to use a Satin finish: the light gray is called "Stone Gray"; and the darker gray is called "Granite".  You can also buy this paint on-line.

As for the black "Flight Bag Base"...   In the real 737, the form factor of this unit varies, so I viewed photos of real 737 cockpits and copied form factor of the base that I liked.   Construction was simple...   I used 5/8" Baltic Birch (my favorite flywood), bordered it with thin aluminum angle screwed into the plywood to create the base.   For the "Ribs", I 3D printed these "triangular shaped parts", then glued them onto the plywood.  Then I painted the entire base with a black satin paint, then screwed it onto the flight deck as shown in the photo.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

blueskydriver

Hey Miiikkkeee,

Will you share the 3D files of the triangle shaped pieces?

After looking at your work, I might give it a go. I can print 3D parts, but I'm not the best at creating them.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate