Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 12:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
55 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Rudder pedal construction

Started by when acting as a wave, October 14, 2009, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

when acting as a wave

As a means of contributing, I thought that the following might be of some use. It's a detailed, photographic record of how my father constructed his rudder pedals.
If anybody has any questions, let me know and I'll find out the answer  ;)

Here’s how all the individual components eventually turn out.

The next photograph shows the cross-arm which links the Captain’s rudder pedals to the F/O’s pedals.

Here's a better view of the entire push-rods and cross-arm assembly.

Here's how the main push-rod ball joint is attached.

This is the piece you put your foot into. Note the spring that gives a ‘feel’ to the brakes.
You can also see the wire push-rod that operates the arm on the pot which is connected to the brake axis.

One completed assembly as viewed from the top.

And, of course, one completed assembly as viewed from underneath.

Next is an under-pedal view showing the bearing blocks and the brake axis pot with push-rod and return spring.
I used acetal for the bearing blocks because it's easy to machine, dimensionally stable, and has reasonable wear properties.
DO NOT USE NYLON â€" it is hygroscopic and as it absorbs water, the size of the hole will change and bind up on the shaft.

Brake axis pot from a different angle.

Followed by an even better angle of the brake mechanism.

This is another angle of the pedal bearing blocks. The collars which prevent the shaft from moving sideways
in the bearing blocks is just a piece of thick walled pipe with a screw threaded into the side of it.

Bearing blocks again, and note the screw with nuts either side of the shaft.
This allows for adjustments to be made with regards the angle of the pedal to the shaft when the brakes are released.

This shows the countersunk screws going through the rudder pedal to the bearing blocks. Also, you can see the bearing blocks at the bottom of the rudder arm.
I made them from acetal, and because I didn’t have any larger material on hand, I made two of them side by side to give more strength. Ideally it should be one piece.

Here's a better view of the bearings and collar.

Both completed assemblies.

The next few photos show a trial setup designed to test operation. Note the different type of rod-ends here.
These were eventually found to be unsuitable because they're effectively sprung-loaded internally, which produces a sloppy action when using the rudder pedals.
The round grey rod-ends in most of the previous photos are perfect for the job.

Another angle on the trial setup.

And yet another one, to better show how all the bits and pieces fit together.

The last photograph shows a trial setup in the actual simulator, with wooden blocks being employed instead of the lovely
aluminium pedals which eventually replaced them. This trial was just to get a better feel for the angles and range of movement.

Hopefully the photos show up ...  :)

Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

ivar hestnes

Nice work.

I bet these photos can be very useful to many people. Best resource to have is photos of other peoples work. Then it is much easier to design for own purpose.

:)

NAX228

Very nice. Neeth and clean solution. Bet my pedals down the road will use something quite simular to this build.
Thanks for good and understanding documenting.
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Maurice

Very nice work there! I'm always amazed at the wide variety of elegant solutions to the same 'challenges'.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Fernando

Hello Junior,
First I would like to congratulate your father for the idea.
Very interesting ...
My name is Fernando and I am an engineering student.
I live in Brazil and I am developing a project to be used in bracket for FPV flight.
I can not commit plagiarism in my solution but need to get ideas already on the market for my project.
When you've researched it, did not find anything identical to my proposal, and it seems to me, your solution would be the closest of my project.
I would like descending a look at my solution and inform me of whether you know something out there ... or you can go ahead smoothly.
This is an academic work, but I must pay attention to patents on the market.
Grateful for the attention and wait.
Fernando.

Aerosim Solutions

There are a lot of similarities here to my own design... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlS10I6tZc

Cheers Gwyn
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

727737Nut

737 Junkie

MLeavy737

They look great! love the design!

I really need to learn how to weld. those projects look like soo much fun!

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Fernando

Yes, Aerosim solutions, but could not find any solution identical to my proposal.
The difference in the scope of this project, which is not necessary to apply the brakes to taxi due to the fact I used to fly model airplanes.
Yes there is other similar solutions, but with respect to the mechanism, I believe it's considered plagiarism ... It is this answer that I need to start making this solution, as I am to complete my course and depend on this information to continue the work.

Trevor Hale

Fernando.. Welcome to the group.   Lets not hijack this thread though.  If I am correct you are worried that your design is origional.  I assure you it is very origional.  No patents here especially because unless I misinterpret your drawing, your peddles act more like that in a car.  Not many people make a design like that because the real aircraft toe movement on the rudder is for brakes, and you have your toe movement for rudder movement.  The pedles in this thread show a more middle of the foot movement then a toe movement.

in any case, No need to worry about Plagiarism, at this site we all help each other, and copy each others work to make ourselves better builders.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Aerosim Solutions

Trevor is right, you can copy whatever you see on these pages. I share all of my designs openly and I expect them to be copied otherwise I would never display them!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Fernando

Ok, Trevor and Gwyn, I know we're here to exchange experiences and in this case also do not question my idea is because I have no intention plage of marketed. However, for purposes of validation of my work, I need the idea is original or is authorized by the author's original idea that I can use it to effect completion of graduate work.
This was the best site I found which discusses the subject, hence the reason for my questioning.
I believe that with our discuções able to progress in my work without worrying about these issues correct?
Once you complete it, send some photos and videos of the essays in this forum.
Grateful for the attention of all!

Fernando.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate