Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
101 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Citation Mustang Builder

Started by 2CharlieMike, June 11, 2011, 04:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2CharlieMike

Hi everyone!

Here are a few pictures of my Instrument Panel based on the Cessna Citation Mustang.

I've been building for a year or so now...still have a lot to do though (oddly enough, the list seems to be getting bigger!)

Looking forward to sharing tips and ideas with you all.

Regards
Will
It's just a hobby!!

jackpilot

Superb, thank you for joining and posting.
Modern aircrafts including this one ,or the 787 shown on aother post, are so much easier for the builders. Then you realize how the 73, even NG, has a "clumsy" design. Things were added over the years, here and there, different sizes, not aligned, (top and low mid DU ) etc

Great airplane Will. Neat work.

Jack

2CharlieMike

Hello Jack
Yes, one of the reasons I chose the Mustang is it's simplistic design - no overhead panel or huge centre pedestel to worry about - just an MIP, switch panel and throttle quadrant...although it does have its fair share of buttons and switches to wire up!
Cheers
Will

ps. Having just viewed my previous post, I realise the jpegs are far too big.
Here they are again in a more email friendly size -

It's just a hobby!!

Bob Reed

Hello Will a and welcome. Nice job! What software are you using for the avionics? And how do you like 2 lcds for out front view? I had 2 42" plasma screens for my 73 and loved it right up until approach. Thats when the FS eye view problem would show up. The runway is right where the 2 screens come together so on approach you can not see the runway........ Or have you found a way around that?

shaneb

Hello Will,

Really nice  . . . good to see another small  jet project!  We are kind of an oddity in flight sim building.  Looking forward to seeing more of your build as you progress.        :idiot: 
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

2CharlieMike

Hello Bob
Thanks for your reply.  Before I answer your question regading the avionics, I should probably point out that although my cockpit is meant to replicate the Citation Mustang, it is going to be somewhat generic in it's functionality. I intend to build 3 detachable Throttle Quadrants; one for the Mustang, one for the Beechcraft Baron 58 and one for the Cessna C182 NavIII. The avionics suite shown is from Mindstar (G1000) and is for the default Cessna 172 & 182.
As for "the FS eye view" problem , no, I haven't found a way around it. What I usually do is keep the runway in the left hand screen until on short final, then jink left then right to put the centreline just to the left of the LH screen frame...taxiing, however, is a bit of a pain! The 3 Short Throw Projectors for my out front view is just a lottery win away!
Cheers
Will

It's just a hobby!!

Bob Reed

Nice work! Here is a idea for the front view. You already have 2 monitors, buy a third. This was not an option with setup as plasms screens where still pretty high $$s. Puts the runway in the middle of the center screen. I will go look at the software. What you have looks great.

2CharlieMike

Hello Shane

Cheers...no there don't seem to be many of us...surprising really.

I would be very interested to see any photos of your setup if you have any.

Regards
Will

Ps. Have you seen this?
http://www.excitingsimulations.com/cockpit/index.html
It's just a hobby!!

Bob Reed

jackpilot

Re Visual:
Find a decent projector which will give you a front view of some 7 X5 feet (huge and spectacular by monitor standards)showing the front view zoomed out to a comfortable .70 and you will wonder why you did'nt do it before!!!
That kind of mid short throw proj can be bought for not much new or Ebay.
I had this on my previous sim (pics) and flew happily with it.

Jack

Bob Reed

Yes I am using a single projector as well. I love it.

2CharlieMike

Thanks for all replys, it's been really good to meet fellow builders.
Thanks also for the tips.
Good to be here!
Will

It's just a hobby!!

shaneb

Hey Will,

As Bob and Jack mentioned . . finding a projector really adds to the sim.  One projector is what I am using at the moment in my generic sim . . much better than the monitors I started out with. 
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Kennair

Hi Will and welcome to the party.

Really nice setup and thanks for sharing.  How do you find the Mindstar G1000's?  Are they network capable yet or is everything running off the FS computer?

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

2CharlieMike

Hi Ken - thanks very much!
The Mindstar G1000's are great - very detailed, very smooth, loads of cool features, eg. on startup, the PFD shows the system checking each of the LRUs.
I find the software a real joy to use and would thoughly recommend it.
At the moment, it's only available for the Cessna 172 & 182, but I have read that units for a twin prop are in development. One other upcoming  feature is the ability to upload current FMS data from Navigraph. 
I don't know if the software is network capable yet - I'm using a single PC for my setup.
Will
It's just a hobby!!

XOrionFE

VERY NICE JOB Will!

I love the mustang and had it as my main sim and was going to build my cockpit based on it but couldnt find a decent priced G1000 head so gave up and switched to the 737.  I have a few youtube videos of my old setup youmay have come across.   I love your setup.    where did you get the bezels from?

Best regards,
Scott

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: 2CharlieMike on June 12, 2011, 05:45:45 AM
Hi Ken - thanks very much!
The Mindstar G1000's are great - very detailed, very smooth, loads of cool features, eg. on startup, the PFD shows the system checking each of the LRUs.
I find the software a real joy to use and would thoughly recommend it.
At the moment, it's only available for the Cessna 172 & 182, but I have read that units for a twin prop are in development. One other upcoming  feature is the ability to upload current FMS data from Navigraph. 
I don't know if the software is network capable yet - I'm using a single PC for my setup.
Will

Will,

How did you eliminate the view of the controls around the edge of the screens?  Does the software support that or did you use a work around of some sort?  And, did you run into any problems getting all Mindstar G1000 switch and rotary functions  out on real hardware?

I'm right at the start of a Generic 172/182 build and this looks very interesting.

Tom G. 
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

2CharlieMike

Hello Scott - nice to hear from you!
Yes - I have seen your old videos on YouTube and found them to be very inspirational - they really show how immersive it can be flying at night.
Thanks for your comments regarding my Simpit - it's taken a while to get this far!  I've basically built everything from scratch - all of the buttons and bezels are my own work. The displays are from Pyle Audio - 2x 10.4in (PFD's) and 1x 15in (MFD).- and are the exact same dimensions as those used on the real Mustang, which really spurred me on in my desire to create an exact replica MIP. The Standby Ints are from Flight Illusion and are fantastic - worth every penny - they really add to the realism.
Still have a long way to go. The MIP still needs some work and I've yet to build the AFCS, Lower Switch Panel, Throttle Quadrants (x3) and the control unit for the MFD. And then the "fun" really starts....interfacing all the switches and encoders with the software (groan!).
If I didn't love it so much, it could become a real chore!
Cheers!
Will
It's just a hobby!!

2CharlieMike

Hello Tom

I believe that Mindstar are in the process of providing a "no bezel" feature in their software.
More info at - http://www.mindstarprods.com/cgi-bin/avforum/board.pl?num=1176515687

Ref your 3rd question - watch this space! I haven't started interfacing them  yet although, I'm not expecting any real problems - my theory is that if a function can be activated by a mouse click,  it can be assigned to a switch.

If you decide to go the G1000 route, I'd be happy to provide any tips/info that I can.

Regards
Will
It's just a hobby!!

Bob Reed

Quote from: 2CharlieMike on June 13, 2011, 05:32:14 AM
my theory is that if a function can be activated by a mouse click,  it can be assigned to a switch.

Regards
Will

Not necessarily the case!!! I am using the B200 by Auroworx and there is are a lot of functions you can not assigne to a switch. I have tried!

jackpilot

What about Pete Dawson "mouse trap"?

Jack

Tom_G_2010

Found this section of their support forum.  There are a few good threads on there about I/O, function assignments and mouse traps.

http://www.mindstarprods.com/cgi-bin/avforum/board.pl?board=brd_g1000_hardware

Looks like they have their own .ini file for I/O config, but their are also reports of FSUIPC mouse traps working with the newer versions of Pete's software.

XOrionFE

Flight1 has a Cessna Mustang which includes the G1000.   It is interfaceable (I did it before).   Much better G1000 simulation than Mindstar.    Flight1tech also has a nice interfaceable networkable version now.

Scott

Tom_G_2010

Flight 1 . . . more choices!  My mind may explode :o  Just kidding, more research to do. Thanks Scott

I decided to send an e-mail to Mindstar asking a few questions.  I am a customer service fanatic and responsiveness counts for a lot.  I sent the e-mail a little while ago and was thinking I'd hear back from them in a couple days at best like most other businesses.  Was I shocked when I got back from lunch and the reply was in my inbox already.

Thought I'd share it in case others had similar questions:

I see info online about a pending twin engine version of your G1000.  I am running FSX on a Win 7 PC and building a generic GA simulator that will emulate both single and twin engine and have a few questions:

All your questions are answered with what we call the "beta" version, the "beta" version is the one compatible with Windows 7, and is the "latest" stable version.  We have some internal reasons why we're keeping it labeled as "beta".

1.   When do you anticipate the twin engine version being released.

A: The DA42 version is already included in that beta, and there is also a Baron twin style too, but I can't recall if that's in the beta we have uploaded, or only in the one we have released to the full size sim-vendors.

2.   Will the single and twin engine versions be a single application so that I can switch aircraft type and see the appropriate G1000 displays?

A: There is only one version of the software, there is a "STYLE" parameter in a file called G1000.INI that designates which panel in flight sim use which version of the G1000.

3.   Do you have plans to add Garmin's optional Garmin SVT™ synthetic vision technology to your software and/or their weather and traffic features?

A: We'd love to, and when there is time, we will, but there are a few hurdles to overcome, not the least of which is someone has to purchase the global terrain database, and it's many tens of thousands of dollars.

4.   Your website seems a bit out of date referencing future compatability with Vista.  What about Windows 7?

A:Not out of date if you look in the beta forum

2CharlieMike

Quote from: XOrionFE on June 13, 2011, 08:46:45 AM
Flight1 has a Cessna Mustang which includes the G1000.   It is interfaceable (I did it before).   Much better G1000 simulation than Mindstar.    Flight1tech also has a nice interfaceable networkable version now.

Scott
Thanks, Scott - the Flight1 Mustang was actually the main inspiration behind me building a glass cockpit  - I'll use the Mindstar G1000 for the C172/182 and Baron. 

It's just a hobby!!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate