Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
455 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 455
Total: 455

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Essentials for a successful X-Plane 10 migration

Started by 737SimGuy, June 11, 2012, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

737SimGuy

Hi everyone,

In an effort to help you all have a successful attempt at test flying X-Plane 10 in a full cockpit setup I am providing a few pieces here to get you going.

Included in the attached zip file:

1. XPUIPC - Not as comprehensive as FSUIPC (yet) but well on it's way. Torsten Spiering has done a fantastic job with this, allowing most FSUIPC add ons to be able to be used with X-Plane. This is required to use X-Plane with Sim-Avionics suite. This is the very latest version, not even released on his website as of June 10 2012. I have his permission to post it here. There is the main plugin and cfg file plus the client exe and ini file. Setup very similar to FSUIPC.

2. My personal Sim-Avionics "JIMS XPLANE-B737 - XP10.cfg" file which includes autopilot tunings for the x737 aircraft. This will get you started.

3. GoFlight plugin. If you use GoFlight radios and such this is the plugin you need. Simply modify the XPGF.INI as needed.

So, things to keep in mind:

1. The XPUIPC and GoFlight plugins go in the XP10\Resources\Plugins folder. Be sure to include the INI/CFG files. The XPUIPC client goes in a folder on your Sim_Avionics machine or any other client machine that requires Pete Dowson's WideClient.exe.

2. Use XPUIPC for any FSUIPC add-ons you may want to use.

3. If you want a great B737 flight model use x737 (Google it). ***REMEMBER TO DELETE THE x737 PLUGIN*** so that it will not interfere with Sim-Avionics autopilot.

4. Use my aircraft cfg file as a start in Sim-Avionics.

5. Get the updates for X-Plane by checking the BETA box.

6. If using Win7, do NOT put X-Plane 10 in the root folder, make sure it is a least one folder below the root. I use c:\XP10\XP10. This is due to Win 7 permissions crap. Keep in mind, this is like an old DOS folder, you can move it ANYWHERE without worrying about broken registry data. Just drag it wherever you want.

7. If you mess with the X-Plane rendering options to point where it is all f'd up, like I have, you do NOT need to re-install X-Plane, simply go to the (in my case) C:\XP10\XP10\Output\Preferences folder and delete all the files, then restart. Everything will be back to like the first time (a virgin???). The drawback is, if you have joysticks and buttons etc defined you will lose them, so I recommend BACKING UP this folder FIRST. You can restore certain files if you need. If you have got this far then you can most likely figure out which files do what ;-)

If I think of more suggestions I will post them here...

James

Nat Crea

Brilliant Stuff James.

Ive been umming and arring for a while about XP10...now Im gonna bloody try it,
the airport lighting is suking me in!
Just when I get my Sim purring with FSX...true Mau? :)

Cheers,

Nat

737SimGuy

There is NO REASON you cannot run BOTH FSX/9 and XP10. Just don't try it at the same time! ;-)

James

Bob Reed

Thanks James. I can honestly say I was going to look at this before the get together BUT.... All of this chatter pushed me to hit the "order" button. Waiting for my copy now...

737SimGuy

Drat, I forgot the Sim-Avionics aircraft cfg file, so here is an updated zip file containing hopefully everything you need! It's hell gettn old!

James

Bob Reed

Quote from: 737SimGuy on June 11, 2012, 08:20:23 PM
Drat, I forgot the Sim-Avionics aircraft cfg file, so here is an updated zip file containing hopefully everything you need! It's hell gettn old!

James

Tell Me!  :o

737SimGuy

For a bunch of free simple scenery Google "Ted's X-Plane Scenery"

There are many scenery sets available on www.x-plane.org as well. There are fantastic KSFO, KLGA, KBOS payware packages, as well as many more.

James

XOrionFE

Thank you very much James.

This is a huge help!

Scott

fordgt40

James

Not only was your presentation awesome and fascinating, but you have tempted me to try X-Plane (currently loading  :))

Thanks also for the attached files in this thread, they will help a lot as I also use SA.

Glad you are on board here

Regards

David

737SimGuy

I forgot another piece. In Sim-Avionics Control Panel tab, be sure to select "Use Calculated Accels (for x-plane)" . See attached graphic...

James

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on June 11, 2012, 08:08:32 PM

the airport lighting is suking me in!
Just when I get my Sim purring with FSX...true Mau? :)

Is there anything that would not suck you in trying something else. I'm just very sad I will not live long enough to see pictures of your magnificent finished sim  :) Well almost finished ;D

I do have a confession to make though. Were it not for the fact that I would need to add 3 more high end computers in order to be able to have true wraparound visuals with XP, I too would have tried XP. Being retired is great but a severely limited retirement income, not so nice  :)

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Nat Crea

QuoteWere it not for the fact that I would need to add 3 more high end computers in order to be able to have true wraparound visuals with XP, I too would have tried XP.

OK Im being a bit "Blonde" here....I take it theres no multiple window facility in XP10?
Shame for the TH2Go guys...
Mau you could always go with a single wide forward view. I do remeber XPlane does give you the ability to set your Horizontal and Vertical FOV unlike FSX.

Nat 8)

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on June 12, 2012, 05:12:21 PM....
Mau you could always go with a single wide forward view. I do remeber XPlane does give you the ability to set your Horizontal and Vertical FOV unlike FSX.

Nat 8)

I know I would never be happy with a stretched out view as opposed to true 210 degrees FOV. So not an option for me since I'm pretty sure that XP  does not provide a 210 FOV .  No big deal really since I really do not want to complicate my life by going through another learning curve with XP  ;D

Maurice

rhysb

Again am i having a blonde moment here? Im yet to start my wrap around view but surely if you set the extended desktop over the TH2go or the extended desktop in the ATI eyefinity that gives you one stretched forward view over the whole of the curved screen in FSX yes?

If thats the case if you then went into Xplane and set the view as 220FOV over that extended desktop then surely wouldnt this work?
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Maurice

Quote from: rhysb on June 13, 2012, 04:37:09 AM

If thats the case if you then went into Xplane and set the view as 220FOV over that extended desktop then surely wouldnt this work?

If XP allows 220FOV, then it should work I would think. But that is a BIG if. Will have to wait for someone using XP to state the maximum FOV available. I would be stunned if it goes past 120, pleasantly stunned that is :-)

Maurice

737SimGuy

I am not able to get to my xplane machine at the moment, but I seem to recall the max horizontal FOV for a single computer is 170 degrees.

James

XOrionFE

I tested it at 135 with the TH2Go and single PC and while I am sure I could have gone more it was getting really ugly.  Remember...a stretched FOV looking forward and then having that wrap around you is completely diffent than having a true wrap around FOV.    In FSX we undock 3 seperate windows at 70 degrees each and they are true 70 degrees FOV slices looking in the right directions.    You cannot do this in XPlane with one instance of Xplane.   You either have to run 3 instances of Xplane each covering 70 degrees in the proper direction on one PC (which is possible to do but would likely overload a PC) or do the same but having one one each of 3 PCs networked which is the way I am headed right now.    THere is no option to use a TH2GO or Eyefinity on one pc and get a true wraparound view running one instance of XP.    I already tried and also called and talked to the folks at XPlane support.

Hope this helps clarify.

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on June 13, 2012, 07:02:06 AM
  THere is no option to use a TH2GO or Eyefinity on one pc and get a true wraparound view running one instance of XP.    I already tried.......nada....

Hope this helps clarify.

Scott

I thought so. A stretched view of any angle is nowhere near what I have now, so XP is out for me  :'(   :)

Maurice

Nat Crea

Installed the XP10 Demo last night on two machines (Master and Centre Visuals)...
Looks quite nice for default out of the box.
Im still playing with Render Options and preformance (not as good as I expected...yet. Maybe the current current version is better?).
Awesome lighting and autogen/traffic.
Jury still out on the flight model...still have a heap of configuring to do with controls.
My biggest problem is the XPClient wont connect to the XP10 running on the "master" computer which also runs SIm-A Server, BUT it will connect to the visual clients??? James? :)

Nat

Nat Crea

Update...

Updated XP10 and unfortunately something was broken in OpenGL and now Sol7
wont warp...so XP on hold. Flew a few circuits in FSX to calm down...put a smile back on face :)

Nat

XOrionFE

Thanks Nat.

I am still in the process of building 3 new computers but hopefully will be ready in the next day or two to run tests also.
I will be using Fly-Elise for the warping.

Scott

Kennair

Really pleased to see you taking up the challenge Scott and spending your hard earned dollars on some important testing.  All the youtube clips and the rcsimulations clip show one stretched view with at best 135 degree FOV as far as I can tell.  Just doesn't cut it when compared to 3 undocked and panned windows as you will be testing.  It's got us all excited.  Unfortunately P3D isn't turning out to be as exciting as I first hoped, still a bit of an upgrade for FSX but not a big change.

Needless to say I have ordered a copy of XP10 ($50AUD from ozgameshop.com if anyone is interested) and might try the Linux alternative to gauge performance.  Exciting times!

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

737SimGuy

Quote from: melnato on June 13, 2012, 03:35:51 PM
Im still playing with Render Options and preformance (not as good as I expected...yet. Maybe the current current version is better?).

The latest version has better performance. But keep in mind X-Plane can still bring any existing computer to a CRAWL if you try to over do it. Your other post says you have OpenGL problems??? I use nVidia GTX580 and no problems. Got the latest drivers?

Jury still out on the flight model...

Using x737?

My biggest problem is the XPClient wont connect to the XP10 running on the "master" computer which also runs SIm-A Server, BUT it will connect to the visual clients??? James? :)

You shouldn't need the client on the same machine as X-Plane. Although I have not tried it that way.

You will get much better performance in both XP and SA if you put SA on a different computer than X-Plane. Also, with SA, you only need the XPUIPC client on the machine that runs SA server, you do NOT need it on the other clients unless you have some other software that needs it. SA does it's own networking.

Also, be sure you have your X-Plane machine's IP address in the XPUIPC client INI file. You can change it via the menu in the XPUIPC Client.

James

Nat Crea

Hi James...Thanks for chiming in.

I have setup XP10 essentially the same as I have with FSX (pretend it says XP Server instead of FSX).

All the Sim-A avionics are on a seperate computer, BUT the Sim-A Server is on the same PC as the ths FSX/XP10 Server.
The weird problem is that Sim-A Server does not "connect" to XP10 running on the same machine with or without XPCLient running. It will happily connect to the one of the client XP's if I assign their IP???? Not ideal as the flight model is the one on the Server PC.
As for flight model...yes X737. OK I havent tested against the numbers yet....just feels different...maybe good maybe bad :) (Kidding)
As for drivers...their fine...Austin has done something inside XP10 to prevent warping with Sol7/NThusim...I just hope it wasn't intentional  :(

Nat

737SimGuy

Hi Nat,

Hmmm, are you running XPUIPC Server plugin on all the XP machines? If so, they may be conflicting??? I don't know for sure.
Maybe you need to run the XPUIPC client on that same machine. Try using 127.0.0.1 for the IP address.
I have an email in to Torsten asking how this should be done. I'll let you know what he says...

James

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate