Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:44:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
216 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 227
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

28v solenoid operating voltages?

Started by Sean, March 26, 2013, 11:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I've just got a solenoid operated toggle switch, rated at 28v DC. Like the yaw damper switch in the seven-three.

Out of curiosity, and because it's the only power supply I had to hand, I rigged it up to 12v DC and was pleasantly surprised to see it works.

Would I be doing any long term damage to either the solenoid or the power supply if I chose to keep this combo?

Sean

Jetcos

12V will work, even 24V if you can't find 28V.

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Sean

Thanks Steve. So there'll be no longer term ill effects? I could get a 24v psu no problem, but running it at 12v is appealing if it'll not do any harm. Unless I need to get 24v for another use. Just off to check Anders start switches!

Jetcos

None that we have seen and we use the Solenoid switches in the Yaw Damper position and MCP A/T switch.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Aerosim Solutions

You are just energizing an electromagnet, the only effect lower voltage will have is less strength in the magnet. If it still operates the switch ok at 12Vdc you will have no issues at all and it will be perfectly safe!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Sean

Thanks again Steve. And Gwyn.

So if the magnet holds the switch less strong, then it should be easier to manually flick the switch in the opposite direction? Does manually opposing the powered solenoid damage the switch?

Sorry to sound like a right noob, but this is my first experience with solenoids and I couldn't find anything by googling.

Sean

Nat Crea

QuoteDoes manually opposing the powered solenoid damage the switch?

Sean, I use 24V and manually oppose mine occasionally whilst energised without
any drama....stop stressing! :)

Nat

Sean

Lol, thanks Nat, wilco.

Now, I've just discovered that the wing anti-ice also has a solenoid switch, which trips off at lift off. So that's:

Yaw Damper

Voice Recorder

Wing Anti Ice

Any others?

Nat Crea

Wing Anti-ice too????
Damn I have no relay outputs left ::)

Nat

blueskydriver

Hey Nat,

Which Relay Card are you using?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

philb737

The correct switch for the Wing Anti-ice is a toggle switch with internal circuit breaker,.... good luck tripping that circuit  :huh: The next best solution is the solenoid switch :)
  http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/sw6.jpg
Cheers
Phil
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Sean

Do you know why a circuit breaker is used instead of a solenoid switch?

http://www.b737.org.uk/iceandrain.htm#Wing_Anti_Ice

Nat Crea

QuoteHey Nat,

Which Relay Card are you using?

Hey John, Phidgets 0/0/4.

Dont worry, I have no time to get that switch powered..XP10 is keeping me busy!;)

Nat

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate