Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
100 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FSX UnDocked Views with 3 monitors...

Started by sagrada737, June 03, 2013, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

Is your Sim smiling today?  Mine is...  I just gave it a face lift by changing its outside display mode in FSX from a "stretched view" using Surround with my GTX680, to a 3 View UnDocked mode with a 135 degree Field of View (FOV).  The recent posts on setting up multiple monitors prompted me to further explore what I might do with my own Sim Project.

This accomplishment was not without help from Maurice and Scott, with their extensive experience in setting up displays.  A special thanks to Scott for some hands on help in getting me over the initial learning curve with FSX Windows/Cameras/Views etc.  To the newbie to FSX and Sims in general (that would be me!), it can be very confusing to sort out all these details if one has not done this before.  Maurice's white paper, affectionately titled "Dummy guide to setting up 3 views with TripleHead & Nthusim" was a nice primer and prelude to diving into setting up UnDocked views in FSX (albeit perhaps more oriented toward projection displays).  However, further clarification by Scott as applied to a flat monitor setup was invaluable to a successful outcome for my new display configuration.

Previously, I was using a "stretched" screen with my NVIDIA GTX680 video card with my three 70" LED monitors, and it worked nicely.  In fact, the nice thing about that kind of simple setup is that the frame rates remain high.  However, there is the typical distortion the further you move from the center of the display.

My new display strategy using Undocked views is not without the typical reduction in frame rates.  In my case, with my particular FSX computer hardware configuration, frame rates are not too bad with my current arrangement of scenery, which includes REX, UTX, and MegaScenery.  After a bit of testing, I am getting a low frame rate on the ground at Innsburck in the range of 12 to 20 - depending on ground activity.  At less busy airports, frame rates are in the range of 20 to 40.  At cruise altitude with fair weather, frame rates are in the 40 to 50 range.  Clearly, if I want exceptional performance on the ground, I will need to use more computers - perhaps a new project enhancement down the road.

Some comments on my FSX  Windows/Camera parameter settings that seem to work nicely for these three 70" monitors:  The background display (hidden) is set for a vertical camera and a zoom of 512.  The remaining undocked views have a zoom factor of 1.32.  The camera angles are all set for a 45 degree separation.  If anyone is interested in better understanding what the various Camera definitions are, here is a link I found useful:
http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/understanding-fsx-cameras.html

In any case, there was no way I could have figured all this out without your help Scott.  Thanks again.  Also, thanks Maurice for you white paper on this topic, which was very helpful.

Here is short video showing the display improvements.  This is the end of a flight into KORX, ILS 25, with AutoLand active and AuotBrake MAX.  I hope you like the improvements.  This is going to look real nice through the windows of my FDS Nose Section once I build it up.

Regards,
Mike

MVI 0498

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Looks fantastic now Mike and your very welcome.   Happy to help when I am able and especially when someone has taken the time to try to work it through first like you did with Maurice's instructions which are great.   You were really close and like you said, requires minor changes when doing monitors to take into account the fov per monitor (45 degrees typicall per monitor as opposed to the 60-70 when using projection) along with the difference in zoom factor required.    The result though is beautiful at 1080p per monitor with all the awesome contrast and sharpness afforded by led large screen monitors.    I love your setup!   It is really coming together nicely. 

Best regards,
Scott

Maurice

Mike,

I seem to recall that at some time in the past, you may have mentioned the TVs being temporary and that you might eventually switch to projectors. I don't know if you are still considering this for the future, but my 2 cents is don't even think about it.

After seeing the sharp images you have with those TVs, I am 100% sure you would be bitterly disappointed with projectors. Your setup really looks great now and if you can't live with less than a full wraparound, then 5 TVs with more computers like Scott has is the only option that would not disappoint you in my opinion.

It is possible to switch from projectors to TVs and find happiness but not the other way around :).

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Andrew 737

Totally seemless and absolutely beautiful - congratulations mike.
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

XOrionFE

Well, my dirty little secret is that right now I am back on three 60" screens, an Nvidia 680 in Surround, and FSX again also :-[.  I shelved X-Plane for the time being until there is better all around support for it.    I have my whole sim running absolutely perfectly for now on FSX and am going to just fly it for a while and enjoy it.  Especially since I need to start practicing for WorldFlight. 

Scott

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments guys.  Your encouragement is part of what keeps me hanging on in this complex (and expensive) hobby. 

I hear you Maurice regarding the lure of projectors for a seamless wrap-around effect.  Certainly at this point, I will heed your advice to stay with monitors.  I can't see any trends in current projector technology (that is reasonably priced) which would sway me to change to a projector setup any time soon.  It very well could be that my next move for a display would be to add more monitors, but I like the elegance of relative simplicity with a 3-monitor setup.

Scott, your mention of going back to a 3-monitor setup is certainly not going backward.  Few folks realize the myriad system headaches of these multiple computer setups.  I'll bet you are a lot happier now that you can fly your Sim, instead of wondering why it just crashed, and "what is it doing now" kind of experience.

It seems to me....  that in reality, we are in-between technology as far as a perfect curved display solution is concerned (at least at a decent price point).  It is better to come to grips with this limitation and strive for a overall balance in the "total Sim solution", which of course is highly subjective.  For me, the flying part of the Sim Project is the main objective.  Within the limits of the flight model, I want to explore and learn to properly operate and fly the 737NG enveloped in a HomeCockpit environment.  For now, it seems like I have a respectable display solution.  Time to move on to the next logical phase of my Sim Project.

Speaking of which, I now need to focus on building up my flight deck Base, design and build my Control Yokes/Rudders, and install the Nose Section.  In concert with this, I will begin to work on assembling my FDS Overhead Kit - always loved lots of switches...  :)  That should keep me busy for a few months.

Thanks again for the help and affirmation guys...  It really has propelled my Sim Project forward in a good direction.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate