Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
218 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 227
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

"Not enough USB controller resources"

Started by RayS, May 01, 2018, 09:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

It finally happened. Ran out of USB resources, says Windows 10.

So the next question is: Has anyone else run into this and, how did you fix it?

My thinking at this point is to get a USB expansion PCI express card.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Ray Sotkiewicz

KyleH

I dont know that would solve the problem Ray. Your at the limit of usb devices that can be plugged in. Need to use a remote computer or use a CanBus or RS485 type solution.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

iwik

If it isnt a power problem, Then try using USB2 hub. Or  some onboard usb 3 cotrollers can be turned off. It appears many internal devices also use USB resources and not just what
you plug in. Google gives you many answers.

RayS

I've pretty much exhausted Google. Most everything I've found states that motherboards/OSs/Busses have a hard limit as to the amount of 'pipes' that the OS spins up per USB device. Apparently I'm starting to bump into that limit.

Apparently, USB3.0 spins up even more pipes per port and the consensus is to remove any USB3.0 hubs to increase the pipe limit. I have 1 USB3.0 hub with only 1 device connected, but nothing really changes when I remove the hub.

It could be a blessing in disguise though. I knew this day was coming and that eventually I'd need to increase each devices' capacity so the Teensys could do more and I could start pulling lesser-used devices out of the sim. With all the issues others have had using USB, and now adding my hat to the ring, I may start converting to the Arduino Mega over Ethernet. The Megas have a sufficiently dense collection of I/O pins, and using Ethernet gets around so many limitations regarding USB.

I'm hoping a certain Rob Archer might have some sage advice, since his entire sim is based on Teensy/Arduinos. :-\ (At least that was my last data point...)
Back to the drawing board....
Ray Sotkiewicz

paulnd

Quote from: RayS on May 01, 2018, 11:50:53 AM
Apparently, USB3.0 spins up even more pipes per port and the consensus is to remove any USB3.0 hubs to increase the pipe limit. I have 1 USB3.0 hub with only 1 device connected, but nothing really changes when I remove the hub.

You may also need to uninstall any USB3 controller drivers to free up the resources, you can still use the USB3 ports but they'll operate at USB2 speeds

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RayS

After a bit of research, I'm going to go with an Arduino 256Mega architecture using ArdsimX over Ethernet (http://simvim.com/index.html)

I used to have an Arduino configured using Ardref (older version of ArdSimX) and I never had any trouble with it... not like I have with USB.

...this work never ends but I do find it enjoyable for some reason.
Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

Hey Ray,

Could you add a PCI USB card or two? Most come with 4 ports each, where as the MB might only have 4-6 ports total...

Here is a 2.0 model:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U220-USB-Port-Card/dp/B00005QSPX

And, here is a 3.0 model:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Card-Adapter-PCIUSB7/dp/B002VY53ZK?th=1&psc=1

(note this one has 7 ports)

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Jason L

Extra PCI cards won't do it.  The motherboard has a hard set limit.  You may want to look into Network Attached USB hubs.  I haven't tried it for this application, but it may be worth a look.  Many options out there, most are business grade, so expensive.  Belkin does have this one however:  https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L009-5-Port-Network-USB/dp/B000QSN3O6

Might be worth a shot.  Can always return it if it doesn't work right.

bernard S

i have god knows how many usb connections and they are run through a network

Bob Reed

Hmmmm I do not see how you can be out of devices as you are running no where near what Rob is. I think we need him to jump in here.

iwik

Bob,
Are you sure Rob's using USB. I remember not to long ago he swore never to use
usb again and went Ethernet. Has he changed his stance again.

Bob Reed

Quote from: iwik on May 02, 2018, 09:12:04 AM
Bob,

He is using Teensys which do use USB but they use their own protocol and use a board serial number to register the device with the OS. What this means is you can unplug a Teensy and plug it into another port and it will take back off and function and not re stack the USB buss. If the software is still open that was using the data from the Teensy it will pick right back up and work.

iwik

Thanks Bob,
Learn something new every day here.

727737Nut

Quote from: RayS on May 01, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
It finally happened. Ran out of USB resources, says Windows 10.

So the next question is: Has anyone else run into this and, how did you fix it?

My thinking at this point is to get a USB expansion PCI express card.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ray,
What is your exact set up and what products?  FYI, i am using WIN10 and I have 38 usb devices total with no issues now. I can help you figure this out but i need more info.

Rob
737 Junkie

727737Nut

There is SO MUCH BAD INFO in this post its horrendous!  LOL   Ehh Boy, my head hurts now.
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Quote from: iwik on May 02, 2018, 09:12:04 AM
Bob,

Les,
I have 30 sometimes 31 Teensy's in my sim.  If you are using x-plane its a no brainer choice.   Avoid ethernet with x-plane  If you want to be different and hate usb, you can get a Teensy and run a canbus but it's not needed.  I mean come on, who has a more complex sim than Scott and I currently in use in the USA?  There are some strict rules to follow and but it  works great if you follow the rules!
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Quote from: jmlohrenz on May 02, 2018, 05:03:23 AM
Extra PCI cards won't do it.  The motherboard has a hard set limit.  You may want to look into Network Attached USB hubs.  I haven't tried it for this application, but it may be worth a look.  Many options out there, most are business grade, so expensive.  Belkin does have this one however:  https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L009-5-Port-Network-USB/dp/B000QSN3O6

That's interesting :o   Guess a miracle was performed and a saint blessed my little pc as I added 3 pci usb hubs and they work great!  Oh and forgot to add the other 9 external hubs feeding those pci-e cards. ::) :huh:   
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

Quote from: 727737Nut on May 02, 2018, 05:23:48 PM
Quote from: jmlohrenz on May 02, 2018, 05:03:23 AM

That's interesting :o   Guess a miracle was performed and a saint blessed my little pc as I added 3 pci usb hubs and they work great!  Oh and forgot to add the other 9 external hubs feeding those pci-e cards. ::) :huh:

So is it a coding issue? I knew you where using a lot more then Ray is.

Jason L

Let me rephrase what I said, the hard coded limit is in the USB protocol.  up to 127 devices is the limit.  Also a hub is counted as a device, so is a expansion PCI card as they all use the same USB bus.  They are also limited by how much power is on your 5v rail for your system.  Powered hubs help work around this, but that can still be a factor.

RayS

Rob, I sent you a PM.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread. I have a few options now that I am considering.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Joe Lavery

Rob,

I would also be grateful for some guidance on this subjec,t because I have a number of USB devices in my system, and I rarely get through a flight without hearing that familiar bing-bong as one or more of them drop out and (very occasionally) restart. It 's invariably the Simkits gauges that drop out, and sometimes one or more of the Go-Flight modules.
I also have FDS SYS cards, CP Flight MCP and EFIS units, a couple of Leo Bodnar Cards (yoke, throttle and pedals) and recently bought but not yet fitted 2 FDS CDUs.

All of these are attached to the main P3D machine, either straight in, or via a variety of powered hubs. The trouble being as the system grows, so does the need for more USB ports.
So what's the best way to attack this problem?
Having read through this thread I'm more confused than I was before I read it....   8) 8) 8)  ;D

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

RayS

After consulting with the experts here, I'm going to add a new PCI-e 4-port 3.0 USB card in my main system. I think that will help with the USB resource ussye.

Full disclosure:
in my original post I left out a critical detail (on purpose) because I didn't want to cloud the 2 issues or have one issue blamed on the other issue. I'm running X-Plane and recently tried to add a Teensy 3.5 controller in lieu of another tried and true Teensy 3.2, which works incredibly well with X-Plane and the TeensyDuino code.

The Teensy 3.5 worked with only 1 or 2 switches programmed but when I added the entire code base, it refused to work no matter what I tried. It just so happened that I got the "Out of USB resources" error around the same time I plugged in the 3.5.

So, a rather expensive lesson to learn but one I won't need to make again. I'll be sticking with Teensy 3.2.

Additionally, I'm playing around with ArdSimX on an Arduino Mega 256 via ethernet. For now it'll only be used for all my switchology. No gauges or anything. Just trying to consolidate the number of USB devices I'm running but with the new additions, I should be good to go.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate