Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
124 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Instructor Station - Luis Gordo

ISLOGO

What is Instructor Station ?

In flight simulation, an Instructor Operator Station (IOS) is designed to assist the instructor in controlling the simulation training environment and monitoring all aspects of pilot/crew performance in the simulator. The instructor can control, via this software, all functions such as aircraft position and systems, meteorological, environmental, and situational parameters.

The Instructor Station is meant to assist Aviation Professionals, Flight Simulation Enthusiasts and Home Cockpit Builders using Microsoft® Flight Simulator (FS) 2004™, FSX™ and ESP™, Lockheed Martin Prepar3D® and X-Plane®.

The Instructor Station allows setting the aircraft on an approach to a runway of choice under any weather conditions, start-up and shutdown network computers (fully customizable), program or set aircraft system failures at any moment, calculate the amount of fuel required for a flight and load it to the aircraft, record flight performance (approaches, manoeuvres, landings, take-offs, etc.) and plot it graphically, and many other things!

Compatible with all types of aircraft! It is also a great tool for anybody who wants to control the flight simulator externally.

Many features are also available for Project Magenta users (pmSystems, Glass Cockpit, CDU/MCDU, MCP/FCU), AST & FMGS JeeHell users.

Developed by a pilot, engineer & flight simulation enthusiast.

TRY THE DEMO AND ORDER YOUR LICENSE TODAY !!

iStation 2.0/WideFS, Virtual Com Ports, and iPad

Started by Pilotgil, November 15, 2012, 01:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilotgil

Can any one help me with this problem:

My system is two computers with my "sim" computer running FS2004 which is connected to another computer with iStation installed. They are connected together via WideFS. All software is registered.

The new iStation supports Foreflight which I will connect via Bluetooth. I have been successful in paring my iPad and Instructor Station PC. My iStation computer runs just fines and connects to my computer "Sim" via WideFS.

Here are my questions:

1. Installed in my "sim" computer modules folder is GPSout.dll Should GPSout.ini say "PORT=WideFS" ? or?
2. Is MixW (com port emulator) installed on my iStation computer? or where?
3. How does MixW get the data from WideFS?
4. Is there anything that has to be done?

I do not understand where these files go on a system with two computers and WideFS. If everything was running on one computer it is easy to understand. I have been working on it for three days with no luck.

I tried Wifi but only ended up killing my network which took a day to repair.

Thanks

saabpilot

Hi,

If you take a look at muy website far down on this page you have a description how to attach Jeppesen Flightdeck with a moving map in FS9.  The procedure works the same way with all apps connected via GPSout and WideFS.

http://www.boeing737sim.se/Technical.html

1)  Correct
2)  Installed on the IS computer
3)  See my diagram on my website.
     Data is transfered from FS via GPSout and routed via WideFS to your WideClient.
     WideClient then sends data to one of the two "virtual" Com ports - the other port in the pair sends to the application.

4)  Assure that you have same baud rate setting in the FS computer (GPSout.ini) as in the IS computer WideClient.ini file
     Also the correct "Sentences" assignment(s)

Best,
Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

luisgordo

Hi Folks,

I am sharing here the email Pilotgil sent me, with the solution to the questions he had posted before.

Saabpilot, also thanks for sharing the solution too.

QuoteI think I figured my problem out. To connect iStation to the iPad via Bluettoth and WideFs needs the following:

1. GPSout.ini needs: PORT=WideFS
2. The virtual COM ports are installed on the iStation remote computer
3. The .ini file for WideClient must attach WideFS to the virtual COM ports
4. Then set up per the iStation 2.0 manual

Best regards,
Luis Gordo
Instructor Station
www.iStationGordo.com

Flight Data Recorder Mobile
http://www.istationgordo.com/instructorstation/fdr

Pilotgil

Thanks...but my Bluetooth interface still does not work... I was able to get the serial data to iStation as I can see the NMEA strings showing up on iStation's BT GPS Data Export Tab 3 COM. I also know that the data works as I can connect the virtual com port to another moving map application and all works fine.

iStation can see my iPad by using "Discover" under BT GPS Data Export Tab 4. However, when I attempt to connect iStation by depressing "Activate Server" under Tab 5, I get the following error:

"There seems to be no API in BlueSoleil for RFCOMM devices"

If I try to get the iPad to pair without pressing "Activate" nothing happens. If I press Activate" I get the error but still does not work.

No matter what sequence I try (and I have tried dozens), I am unable to connect the iPad to iStation. Also, I tried many other dongles and stacks with no luck. If anyone has an idea I am all ears......too frustrating.

luisgordo

Hi Gil,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.  If you are using ForeFlight, really the simplest solution is to have both the iStation PC and the iPad on the same network, and to connect them via WiFi. If not working, a Firewall could be cutting the communication on the iStation PC.

Regarding bluetooth, the BlueSoleil stack isn't terribly good at allowing direct RFCOMM connections. Firstly it doesn't have its own IO API, but instead sets-up a COM port for the application to use. Secondly for Bluetooth Profiles that it supports, it does not connect a COM Port, but instead the built-in support for that profile is activated.

Have you tried the Microsoft stack?

On desktop Windows with a Bluetooth USB dongle, it is nearly always possible to disable any third-party stack and replace it with the Microsoft stack. The Bluetooth standard includes a transport specification for USB connections (as well as serial and others) and 99% of all dongles support this USB standard and therefore all communicate with the Bluetooth software in the same way. (The one dongle I have seen that doesn't is a Bluetooth 3.0 dongle bought from Trust).

To change to the Microsoft stack all one generally needs to do is to switch the device driver handling the dongle, then the Microsoft stack will automatically start and use the dongle. In Device Manager select the adapter/device for the Bluetooth Radio, select "Update Driver ...", then "Browse ...", "Let me pick ..." and choose "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" if offered. (Some dongles have drivers with different names, see the list in the second section in "%windir%\inf\bth.inf", e.g. "Belkin Bluetooth Adapter", "IBM Integrated Bluetooth". etc.) At that point the Microsoft Bluetooth stack should become active.

It may be preferrable in all cases however to actually uninstall the other stack software. I haven't seen any problems where Widcomm/Broadcom was present but issues do occur for other stacks. For instance BlueSoleil runs at start-up and grabs the Bluetooth dongle for itself even if the Microsoft stack was using it previously.

I hope this helps...  Please do send me an email, and hopefully we can find a solution to your connection problem.

Best regards,
Luis Gordo
Instructor Station
www.iStationGordo.com

Flight Data Recorder Mobile
http://www.istationgordo.com/instructorstation/fdr

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate