Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 07:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
576 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real Boeing 737 yoke handle wiring

Started by Aerosim Solutions, June 09, 2013, 05:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosim Solutions

Hi all,
I have just wired my pair of real Boeing yokes and thought I would share the wiring code for anyone else who is going to install real yokes. The real Boeing wiring harness contains 14 wires, I found that two were redundant or spare.
1   ELEVATOR TRIM      
   Boeing wiring harness colors   Simulator Function        Comments
   White/Red                                Common   
   White/Orange                           Trim "Down"   
   White/Black/Orange                  Trim "Up"   
   White/Violet                             *Not used*        Makes with White/Red - both directions
2   PTT ROCKER SWITCH      
   Boeing wiring harness colors        Simulator Function     Comments
   White/Black/Brown                       Common   
   White/Grey                                   Intercom                     Bottom trigger
   White/Red/Black                           Mic                              Top trigger
3   AUTOPILOT DISENGAGE (3 pairs)      
   Boeing wiring harness colors             Simulator Function         Comments
   White/Blue + White/Black/Yellow       A/P Disengage               Normally OPEN switch
   White/Yellow + White/Green             *Not assigned*              Normally CLOSED switch
   White/Black/Green + White/Brown    *Not assigned*              Normally CLOSED switch

Cheers, Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Aerosim Solutions

In addition! This is a copy of the actual drawing on the trim switch. Using the white/violet wire, the two trim switches on one handle could be used independently!
[smg id=754]

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

jackpilot

Jack

tennyson

I'm just installing my yokes now and in the coming week, I'd have been searching the net for this info, for hooking up the existing wiring.

You've saved me a heap of time, Gwyn, thank you.

When I come over the Wa next year, I'll definitely be bringing a few cold one's for ya....hahaha

Thanx,

Frank Cooper

Aerosim Solutions

Hi Frank, I might have to find you sooner for those cold ones before then! I'll be in Brisbane for 9 days from Boxing day visiting relatives and the Queensland 'branch' of Aerosim Solutions!

Cheers Gwyn

tennyson

Sounds great, Gwyn. my cockpit will be nearing completion by then, I hope.

I'm stuck with a few engineering solutions with my yokes at the moment, but once I have them sorted, it is a matter of re-installing 80% of the already built sim.
All I have left is the seats, pedestal, rudder pedals and my projector set-up.

I'm hoping for a maiden flight around Xmas.

Frank cooper

Aerosim Solutions

Hi again Frank,
I thought I might mention our rudder pedals if you are in need of some! Gordon has two pairs left in his Brisbane workshop and we want to move them so they will be a good price! You would have no shipping costs. We won't be producing them again as there are others out there in the market and I prefer not to duplicate. You can go and see them if you wish.

BTW, I have all the design work completed for the installation of my real yokes, give me a call if you want to discuss it! I look forward to seeing your sim after Christmas...

Cheers Gwyn

stephenbalmer

Quote from: tennyson on June 10, 2013, 03:14:40 PM
Sounds great, Gwyn. my cockpit will be nearing completion by then, I hope.

I'm stuck with a few engineering solutions with my yokes at the moment, but once I have them sorted, it is a matter of re-installing 80% of the already built sim.
All I have left is the seats, pedestal, rudder pedals and my projector set-up.

I'm hoping for a maiden flight around Xmas.

Frank cooper

Hello Frank and fellow sim builders,

Forgive me for resurrecting such an old topic, however we all reach stages at different times and I am now embarking upon interfacing my real 737 yokes to my simulator.

I am also trying to solve the mechanical part of this solution. May I ask how you set these up mechanically in order to link yokes and interface to the software through pots, i assume?

Many thanks,

Stephen.

Trevor Hale

Stephen, don;t apologize we are all here to help.

Generally it is easiest to connect one POT for Aileron, and 1 Pot for Elevator, than you just connect (Link the yokes) Under the floor, so although your pots may be installed on the Pilot side, and you are sitting in the FO seat, really you are just mechanically controlling the Pilot Yoke which controls the Pilot Pot.  If that makes sense.

When I had floor yokes setup, I ran a pully off the back of the Pilot Yoke which ran a cable down the pipe to under the floor to a double pully One connected to the Ram horn, and the other to the FO yoke. (Double pully at the bottom to a single pully on the top.) The whole apparatus was made of PVC that looked like a big Horseshoe. The whole assembly was mounted on a shaft to allow it all to move forwards and back for Elevator.

If you look in the gallery Gwyn (Aerosim Solutions) He has many picture of how he did it.  There is no right or wrong way.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

tennyson

Well, I'll tell you my story, mate, as everyone is slightly different.

I bought a set of real yokes from a guy in Sydney, who had them operational in his sim.

I re-engineered the installation.

The control shaft was steel and needed re-welding, but that was ok.
I then sat down and contacted Gwyn from Aerosoft Solutions and he and I nutted out how best to do the pitch and roll components.

I drew it up:

Then Gwyn made my cogs and sent them to me.

Then ,it was the job of installation. I used Bodnar, top end potentiometers:

After they were all fitted, the external installation was installed in the floor of the sim and I made the surrounds:

I did have some teething issues, but it was in the way I set up the potentiometer. Once rectified, it's a dream now.

I recently installed P3D V2.5 in the sim and the new FSUIPC. FSUIPC is the best way to set up flight controls and I have a really nice balanced control and feel about the sim.

I still haven't wired up my trim control buttons yet, but that will be coming soon.

Frank Cooper

gufau

Hi Tennyson,
Your work on the yoke looks great. The contribution of Gwyn elements is great but could you give more photos showing us how you assembled it all: yoke, column, Gwyn elements.
Thank you,

tennyson

Ok, mate, you asked for it.

I'll make this two separate posts, so the pic count doesn't kill people.

I'll make a second post with the rest of the pics.
They are all pretty self explanatory, but if ya got questions, just ask.

Frank Cooper

tennyson

I hope these pics show up, not looking to good on the preview.

Anyway, here, we go:

Hope this helps, mate,

Frank Cooper

gufau

Thanks a lot for these pictures and bravo for your realise

Buster99

Hello Frank,

Thank you kindly for sharing these great and clear pictures, it sure has helped me a lot!
I was thinking in a similar way to your solution but now I have seen a much simpler way to do it, outstanding!

Best Regards,
Marc

stephenbalmer

Thanks to all of you. This is absolutely amazing help, really appreciated.

I believe I have a plan of attack for my linkages, however Gwyn at Aerosim looks like the answer to the nylon gear cog issue that I was struggling with.

I have sent him an email to ask if he can still help with these gear cog parts.

Many thanks again,

Stephen

tennyson

Wow....not what I expected. I thought Trev might kick me out for taking up all his bandwidth.....hahaha, just joking!

I know a pics worth a thousand words and in our hobby it can help us to engineer different strategies.

I don't know if it was noted that at one end of the shaft, I slotted that screw holes and the other I didn't.
This became so handy, once the yokes were installed. I could get one yoke at neutral (10 degrees forward) and then undo the set screws to make sure the other one was at the same angle.

I also found that they moved slightly, so when I got the whole shooting match in the sim floor, I went back and just tweaked it up and made sure they were tight. I also then used locktite on those screws to prevent them from moving in-flight. Six months on, not a murmur.....job solvered!!

Frank Cooper

Trevor Hale

LOL Frank the more pics the better, pictures are worth 1000 words.  Have at her :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

stephenbalmer

Hi Gwyn,

Not chasing, but wondering if you got my e-mail regarding the components for your elegant 737 yoke solution?

Thanks,

Stephen

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: stephenbalmer on February 20, 2015, 03:57:01 AM
Hi Gwyn,

Not chasing, but wondering if you got my e-mail regarding the components for your elegant 737 yoke solution?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, I found your email - reply sent!

stephenbalmer

Hi Frank,

unfortunately Gwyn is too busy to assist me at the moment. Do you happen to have the specs and measurements of the nylon gear cogs for the yoke solution?

Many thanks,

Stephen

tennyson

Hi Stephen.
I know Gwyn was heading inter-state this month for a wedding, so you might be having trouble contacting him.

And I'm sorry, he has all the cad drawings as he was the brains in that department.

I know he's inundated at the moment, but he's a great bloke and will fit you in as soon as he can.

Frank Cooper

Aerosim Solutions

Hi Stephen, sorry mate I've got jobs coming at me from all angles but yes I can cut your gears if you tell me specifically what you need - re sizes etc. I have time this weekend coming...
Cheers Gwyn

stephenbalmer

Hi Gwyn,

I really appreciate your offer to make up some gear cog assemblies for me. They will make a huge difference in allowing me to complete my solution.

If you could make up a set of gear assemblies similar to those that Frank used, I am sure I could work with those. My torque bar between yokes for elevators is 25mm diameter but I can easily seek an alternative diameter. Equally, I will construct the mounting brackets around the yoke aileron controls with a set of your cogs and appropriate pots.

Many thanks,

Stephen.

Aerosim Solutions

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate