Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 01:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
561 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 579
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 561
Total: 561

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737/777 Project Completed

Started by Kennair, March 18, 2014, 10:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennair

Well as close as any simpit is ever completed.  I haven't posted here in a while as I've been busy with other aspects of life however more recently I knuckled down and got stuck into the cockpit build and can say it's as close to being finished as I'll probably get it.  Yay!  It's turned out to be my homebuilt version of a Jetmax single seater and is a hybrid 737/777.  It uses FDS Sim-Avionics therefore happily morphs from an NG to a T7 at the click of a dropdown box (thank Mark).  Hardware is a mixture of FDS CDU (beautiful) to Aerosim Solutions TQ, MIP, Gear Lever/Panel and rudder pedals (thanks Gwyn), Opencockpits EFIS, MCP, Comms and homebuilt base structure and pedestal.

And my latest revelation is after toiling and persevering with P3Dv1.4 & 2.1 I've gone back to good old FSX!  As buggie and faulted as it is at least everying works and all my addons slot into it without issue or running legacy mode etc.  I had all sorts of issues with Sim-A in each aircraft in P3D that just don't occur in FSX, and as I'm far more focused on actually flying rather than building, I find this the easier road, at least until P3D iron out all their bugs or I get more time to spend fault finding.  So here are some snapshots of the completed project for your enjoyment (or not).

Ken.

Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Jetcos

Hi Ken,

Looks great, glad you are flying. I am sure you will find a few tweaks and bits as you go along.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Kennair

You know me too well Steve, no doubt about it.  ::)

I should also add that there is still a fairly major addition to be made and that is a touchscreen overhead monitor to cater for the very different 737 and 777 overhead panels.  I might incorporate some hardware switches for lights, engine starters etc but the majority will be via the touch panel.  I have the screen and it's being tested currently, just have to work out a suitable overhead mounting.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

FredK

Hi Ken -

Nice job on your sim!

I noticed in your pix that you have what looks like a small "portable" cooling unit sitting on the right side of the cockpit.  I just invested in a similar unit that I plan to position outside of my cockpit.  I plan to split the cool air flow output with ducting to overhead vents inside the cockpit and also directed at my computers.  I have 7 computers plus 3 overhead projectors in my beast that generate quite a bit of heat. The cooling unit does not require a condensate drain (moisture is vaporized into the heat exhaust flow) but does require an area where you can direct the heat exhaust of course.  I plan to simply cut a hole in the wall to vent into the room next to it (an unused guest room) although my wife does not know about that part of the plan as yet.  Venting external to the house would be a bit problematic the way things are situated.

Again, nice job on your sim....sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

blueskydriver

Hi Ken

Nice work! It's nice to see a sim come to a 99% completion...no one ever gets 100% finished, so take that as a complement.

Adding to what Fred mentioned, you have the exact model of AC/Heating unit that I have (or at least it looks like it). I've been running mine for two years now and posted about this in the past, but what I am curious about is, are you running yours, and if so, how are you venting it? Are you using one or two vent holes? For Fred, you will have to cut two holes in your outside wall, and then use dryer vent covers over the cutouts.

Another question about the sim, how are you planning to mount the overhead monitor; will it be wood or metal? Do you plan to add an exterior shell of sorts to block out the room some? I've seen someone using foam board to do this, where his is a project like yours. You might not need this, but it helps with the reality/immersion factor.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Jack

sagrada737

Congratulations Ken !!!  Truly, a project well done!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

TomAnderson

I'm Jealous :) Congratulations. Very Nice !!!!

carlos hermida

Nice idea and build Ken ! Enjoy it and fly safe  ;)

Aerosim Solutions

Hey thanks for the kind words and promotion Ken!! I see you have a missing radio button panel in your console, I'm pretty sure I have a spare in the workshop, I'll check the spares cabinet tonight...

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Kennair

Thanks guys, its great to have the sim in full running order and yes John, 99% finished will be the very best I can achieve but I doubt whether I'll be even that happy, perhaps 90%, there will always be something to do better or replace.   I know it doesn't really compare to you guys with full shells and complete immersion but turn the lights out and I can imagine anything (if you know what I mean  ::) ), for now anyway, who knows what inspiration the next video or cockpit builder pictures will inspire!  Besides my Flightcity sim is a full FDS kit with more immersion than you can poke a stick at so I get my fill there.

Fred, the aircon unit is about 12000 BTU and cools my room down if I close it up.  If you've got 7 computers and OH projectors I'd be making sure it was much heftier than mine.  The vent pipe goes out the window behind the TV monitors and is a must as the hot air coming out is extreme, I can see why these things are great in reverse cycle in winter.  If you're venting yours to an adjacent room I'd hate to go in there while its on, so I'd be expecting grief from the war office once she finds out :)

John to answer your question about the aircon, I'm venting to the outside but only one hole, there is only one vent pipe so not sure what you mean by a second.  My overhead will likely me mounted on some sort of wood structure, still thinking about that and yes Jack I have seen with great interest the FDS OH mount for the Jetmax, mine will be along similar lines, certainly as streamline as can be without compromising on strength.

Ken.

FredK

Ken -

Thanks for the comments.

The cooling unit I have is a TrippLite 12K so is the same capacity as yours.  It is still in the box as I have not found the time as yet to set it all up. My issue is that the sim is in a room in the corner of my basement that has poured concrete foundation walls, so I really do not want to take on the effort of punching a hole through all that to vent.  So the easy way out is just to vent into the unused guest room next door.  I hear you about the heat generation, but I'm hoping the easy way out will work.  The way things are situated is that the airflow into the adjacent room will actually be directed out a door right opposite into a larger hallway area so that should help dissipate some of the heat I think. There is also a window in that room that can be opened. 

I do have a small exhaust vent fan which is in the ceiling right over the computer rack that is vented to the outside (installed when the house was built).  However this is a small capacity 4 inch diameter duct.  If exhaust heat into the adjacent room is a problem my plan is to build a plenum to split the heat exhaust between the adjacent room and into the exhaust fan exit.  I may just do that anyhow.

Regarding capacity....My plan is to vent directly into the cockpit enclosure so I think the 12K should work.  At the very least it will be better than the 74-78 degree F steady state temps I typically get now.

In any event the basement is a demilitarized zone (aka "Fred's World") so the war office really does not have much leverage there!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Kennair

Sounds like a good plan Fred.  The 12K will be plenty if you have it vented to aircon outlets, its plenty cold coming straight out of the unit.  If I close my door the room soon cools and I have 2 computers, a laptop, 3 TV's and my sim screens running.  The room is quite small though at about 10ft x 15ft.

Cheers,

Ken.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate