Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 06:03:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
50 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,642
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 95
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New kid on the block

Started by tennyson, June 03, 2017, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

I hope this thread is OK to be placed here. It's not so much of an announcement, but more a heads up for all of us simmers.

I know a lot of guys here use P3D and Prosim.

Well, as most of you know, P3D, went 64 bit last week.

Big deal, I hear you say....well, for some of us, it was.

I'm half way through a 42 leg US and Canada tour, using my cockpit software (P3D V3.4 and Prosim).

I've invested heavily in scenery software...probably could have done it for real with the costs.., anyway, many of the airports are very heavy and taxing on the systems.
My main computer is a 3960X, 64Gb RAM, fast Samsung SSD and a GTX1080, so no slouch.

The trouble is, 32 bit applications like P3D V3.4 can only address 4Gb of virtual ram, so many of my flights have been shortened by the dreaded OOM's.

Then, last week, LM released the much awaited 64 bit V4.

So, I purchased it on day one for testing.

I'm hoping it may be the answer for me and many others who suffer the dreaded OOM's from 32 bit architecture.

Out of the box, I was stunned by the performance. As I added all of my heavy airports, I noticed very little difference. I've been testing for  some days now and I am still amazed at the product. Most manufacturers have come onboard quickly and the list grows daily.

Of course, we rely on additional avionics software for our cockpits, so I was particularly interested in the compatibility there.

Prosim worked with P3D V4 without any problems. Unfortunately, the software relies on a registered copy of FSUIPC for the operation of the MCP.
That arrived today and I downloaded it this afternoon and tested it. It did work, but had a few issues. I'll be doing more testing, but it looks very promising, less than a week from release.

So, the new kid on the block, P3D V4 has stepped up to the plate, and so far has blown away it's predecessor.

The coming weeks and months will tell the tale of whether it's really ready for prime time.

I might get to finish off my US/Canada tour without OOM's...what a great thought!!!!

Frank

tennyson

Hey Guys.
Thanx Trev, for letting me leave this thread here. I did note after I'd written this that there is a very avid discussion of similar stuff going on in the P3d part of the forum.

Anyway, as I included above, mine and many other cockpit systems rely on Luciano's Wideview and Widetraffic, in order for our views to work in P3d.

I sent him a personal email and asked if he had plans to upgrade to V4.

This morning, I got a reply from Luciano, that he indeed, is working on a solution for V4.
I thanked him, for all the cockpit builders who are reliant on those genius bits of code.

So, all the parts are in play and by years end, we may just have be that bit closer to a complete simming experience.

Frank

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate