Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
51 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 65
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How do we handle donations for high cost items

Started by navymustang, May 13, 2021, 06:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navymustang

Here is the issue, let's say I post an item for sale that is listed for $3,000. I donate 2% to the site. to get it posted. Then it sells but for only $1,800. Do I get a refund from the site for a portion of the original donation?

How are we handling that?

Thanks
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

No idea really, Trev will chime in.
(IMHO a donation is what it is.)
Besides, when you advertise in a paper or magazine, whether you sell or not (or cheaper) has no incidence on the amount paid pay for the service.

My 2 cents. :D

Jack

Trevor Hale

Hi Jim (Navymustang) Here is the problem... and to be honest I didn't even want it to come to this because it should never have, but the biggest issue is people find a way to take advantage and they do, and ruin it for everyone.

I made the policy based on the "Listing price" Reason being if people tell me they sold it for 1800 and I gave a refund, then they could easily cheat the system and provide me with fake information after the fact. to get their refund.

Alternatively, if people ended up selling it for more I doubt they would contact me and give me more than they gave up front.

The only reason for this is to stop the guys doing this for a business using this forum as a venue for them to sell their overpriced items and not have to pay for the service.  Original intentions were give a deal to your forum friends for free, or go sell it on Ebay where they take a bigger cut then 2%. For some reason people come to sell their stuff here for free and avoid the paypal and ebay fees., and it isn't so that they can help their fellow builders out..  it purely is so they can avoid the fees.

On the other hand, the Donation on a $3K Listing is only $60 US. so ask for $3060.00 for your part and in the end you will only end up out $1.20USD if you decide to take a 50% off cut and accept $1800.00 for your part tell them to make it $1831.20 to cover your $31.20 Loss.

Sorry

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

FredK

The 2% "Listing Fee" is not unreasonable.

I do not see an issue with it.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

navymustang

Fred, sorry - you misunderstood. I am not at all opposed to the fee. I was wondering if we pay $60 in fees, then sell the unit for half the listed price, do we get half our fee back.
On small items, say under $100, no issue, but with large items like whole cockpits, or projection systems, or computer systems, the fee adds up rather quickly.
And we all know that we list things for for more than we are willing to take, to allow room for negotiation.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

fordgt40

Hi

Sadly I may shortly be putting my whole cockpit up for sale. I am quite happy to "donate" but not at 2% of the total, there should be a "cap"

David

Joe Lavery

Personally, I don't think 2% is unreasonable, particularly since eBay put up their fee to 12.8%.

Also it's possibly easier to sell our 'STUFF' here. Generally to people who know what it is, and more importantly know what it's worth!

Just my 2 Cents, of course.  ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

fordgt40

Garys

As has happened to me in the past, a certain person selling cockpit parts on ebay will accept your offer, then pull the listing and still expect the 4% paypal fee because the sale is no longer being transacted through the Ebay website checkout system and then claim they have done nothing wrong.  I can see where Trevor is coming from with this.

jackpilot

Quote from: fordgt40 on May 14, 2021, 05:11:30 AMHi

Sadly I may shortly be putting my whole cockpit up for sale.
David

Yep sad...unless it is in favor of a new GT-40 !

Jack

fordgt40

Hi Jack, old age and infirmity is making the required physical contortions more and more challenging. Maintaining and using a flight sim is not a sedentary occupation.

Another GT40 - I wish!!!
Not decided yet about selling, but I am getting cross with it!

Regards

David

Joe Lavery

Quote from: fordgt40 on May 14, 2021, 11:44:36 AMHi Jack, old age and infirmity is making the required physical contortions more and more challenging. Maintaining and using a flight sim is not a sedentary occupation.

Another GT40 - I wish!!!
Not decided yet about selling, but I am getting cross with it!

Regards

David
You don't really want to sell it do you David... you're just have a bad day  ;D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

bernard S

na  sell it be done with it and move on ..make life simple .. i have full.blown 74 and it just sits there doing nothing dont really care about it (at moment) so i get why you want out .. i say go for it  get what you can take the hit ..then utilize US tax code before this option is closed out

jackpilot

Jack

blueskydriver

OMG! Here I thought I was the only one; however, let me relay what Karen tells me

She says, "Why sell it? It's paid for and it already sits there taking up the space it needs, so just cover it up with plastic or sheets until you miss it again...being thankful you didn't sell it.

Besides, if anyone knows this best, it's you; you researched, built, cursed, laughed, cried and shared it with others, so why quit too only miss all those things and regretting forever that you sold it"

Hence, that's what mine is sitting doing while I dump thousands into Lego sets. Once the those get boring guess what I'll be doing?

John

PS Jim didn't mean to hijack your post, but this applies too all of us...
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

navymustang

John, here is the best reason to sell things - because I can take the money and buy NEWER THINGS  :)

blueskydriver

Hey Jim,

I totally agree, sold all my RC planes and purchased Lego sets...LOL!

However, if anyone has a working sim and they're thinking about selling it all at once, why not try the "cover it up" plan for a while before committing to selling it?

Just an idea to make sure they really want to sell it and not regret it....

John  ;D

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

because when your done your done  if i have no intrest in something i am not going to keep kicking a dead camel

blueskydriver

Hey Bernard,

I agree with you as well, that when you're done, you're done. Albeit, I'm just suggesting too make sure that you are.

In other words, by covering it up for a while where you don't see it, as if it's gone already, and you don't miss it...you're done...at least with that particular simulator.

John

kurt-olsson

Haha I am a living proof of the sell/keep/sell/keep/sell mentality.

But in the end, i will never sell, the urge comes back even after long periods of time.

Right now i am obsessed. :)

thriller

Hi, Gary I really don't know how to use this but I need help with my home flight simulator I have a citation cockpit I just want the projector's computers to run them the Garmin 1000 PFD and mfd and how to set up the projectors thanks thriller.

thriller

Quote from: navymustang on May 15, 2021, 06:48:00 AMJohn, here is the best reason to sell things - because I can take the money and buy NEWER THINGS  :)

Good morning Jim may I ask how much you want for the 737-800 sim.thanks thriller

navymustang

Thriller, the 737-800 sold last Fall. I had two cockpits, one went to China and the other to a guy in Miami.
Jim

fordgt40

Well, I followed advice and ignored the sim, but did not miss it. Also Bernards advice to sell and buy a new challenge is very appealing!

Decision made to sell, so I will shortly pay my dues to Trevor and complete the classified ad. I will keep you posted

Regards

David

jackpilot

Look at that one.....
Decisions...decisions !!!

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate